Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 Driveshaft Failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
What size motors are you guys stalling out?

55t hand wound for me, i got some pretty serious rock formations by my house though with lots of places to pinch and catch tires..
crawls2thewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #22

I tore the hell out of my rear output shaft on the tranny. I know when i put the set screw it that it was plenty tight on in the middle of that flat spot on the shaft with adequate thread lock. I was up in bear lake this weekend and as the rear wheels got caught up it spun the set screw AROUND the metal shaft. The screw never came out so it was just a matter of pulling it out and reinstalling. But it is pretty gnarly to look at that and know that instead of it busting that plastic drive shaft it actually tore up that metal shaft.
Xaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
It will come out, guaranteed! As we know, since the stock pops out (and it's longer), then these will. My stock came out the second time out, lost it in the rocks. Put in one of these, it lasted a while before losing it, but popped out several times before finally falling into the rocks (I was keeping a much closer eye on it, as I did not lose it the first five times it came out, but the sixth, I just couldn't catch it in time). Then I attached a Revo shaft http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHFY1&P=7. It has popped off a few times, but I haven't lost it yet, the rubber has torn into as this shaft set up is too short as well, it does seem to do better than the other ones though. I guess these will have to do me for now until the stock Axials come in. I'd like to use the ones on my WK (Tmaxx Long) as they are beefier. I'd have to switch yokes (or drill em) too and I want to keep these metal ones.

Anyone know of a beefier shaft that will fit the stock Axial yokes AND is the right length?
Thanks.

Well it has'nt come out yet.They have been tested pretty good.I held an inner shaft up to the inner shaft mounted on the truck and there is PLENTY of shaft inside the outer shaft-did you get all that? Anyway-what im trying to say is there is plenty of shaft connection with the Traxxas Stampede shafts.Six pairs for $10 from Tower is worth the wait till Axial gets there replacement parts out!:-P
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #24
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaja View Post
I tore the hell out of my rear output shaft on the tranny. I know when i put the set screw it that it was plenty tight on in the middle of that flat spot on the shaft with adequate thread lock. I was up in bear lake this weekend and as the rear wheels got caught up it spun the set screw AROUND the metal shaft. The screw never came out so it was just a matter of pulling it out and reinstalling. But it is pretty gnarly to look at that and know that instead of it busting that plastic drive shaft it actually tore up that metal shaft.
I always use 2 set screws on each yoke to prevent this.

For the guys popping shafts off, an easy fix is a small zip tie and a spot of CA to keep it from sliding off.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I too pop shafts off front and rear with ease. 27t P2k and have never stalled motor I am gonna have to beef up. Currently I am working on a rear disconnect driveshaft using Tmaxx shafts. Front will get shrink wrap to see if that helps.

Curious to see how it will hold up to my 2/3a pack in the works and 55t lathe.
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

heres a small mod you can do:

Rock star evo
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:18 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Can anyone get replacement Axial parts yet? I need drive shafts or aftermarket ones... would like metal but can't figure out what traxas metal ends I need?
Eagle-Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #28

To date, I have broke the front and rear driveshafts and two wheel hubs. I have a brushless with a R2 w/disconnect. I put the rear traxxus with metal yokes in the rear and a tmaxx up front. I'm trying to fix my wheel hubs before the comp. next week. I'm also running the 11.1v li po. I have a habit of standing on the throttle!
lt1wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Just popped my first one
BLUEJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

i moved the upper links into the front hole and the straightend the drive shaft and no more popping off its great
BEAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

I just went to my LHS and ordered 2 sets of Axial stock replacements and also learned that Integy is making steel replacements in measured metric lengths, so, I've got some of those coming as well.

Also didn't Axial supply all the kits with metal yokes? My friends and I all have metal yokes on ours.
sharpe351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe351 View Post
Also didn't Axial supply all the kits with metal yokes? My friends and I all have metal yokes on ours.
Only on the pinion and tranny output shafts. The actual one on the drive shafts are plastic.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

A free and temporary fix to a repeatedly popping driveshaft is to replace it with the opposite end. (front, rear) You just switch them out and replace them in the same manner as before.

I did this and it has not popped on me since. I figure the plastic was worn from mainly forward torque. Now I am applying torque opposite and the plastic is not yet rounded on other side so to speak.

Also, I made a rear disconnect using all stock parts and a little piece of allthread. 2 thin shock spacers, 1 thick, some linkage and a servo ziptied securly to my 4 linked rear.

Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

[quote=sharpe351;845816]I just went to my LHS and ordered 2 sets of Axial stock replacements and also learned that Integy is making steel replacements in measured metric lengths, so, I've got some of those coming as well. quote]

have you got the integy replacments yet? I have been trying to get a set of T-MAXX shafts on for about an hour and so far no luck. The yolk does not clear the spur gear its a little bit to big.
quads4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #35

I have been running a set of pede/rustler sliders for quite some time with no issues. My ax10 has been lowered a little so they may not work if you are trying it at full height.
dc2drifterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

It's too bad that this is happening to such a great kit. I think they just selected the wrong plastic or thickness for the part.

I just popped a drive line as well, but I should have known that with as easy as they where to install that they where going to come apart easy.

For now I'll use the traxxas drive lines like I did on my TLT and hope that they address this weakness.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

We have been running a cable tie on our for a little while with no issue, but now that I said something...you know what's going to happen!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

will these two work together on my ax-10? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJH85&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJG59&P=M
rockcrawler_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I contacted axial about the issue of the driveshafts popping off the metal yokes. They are fully aware that the pins on the u joint are a little too short. They actually suggested that I try the traxxas yokes. I was also told that they're not planning on changing the design. The driveshafts are not a good weak link. Put a slipper clutch on the transmission. To say the least, I was not happy with the response from the company. They make a mistake in the engineering of the product and then screw the customer:-(. I hope axial comes to their senses, redesigns the yokes and offers replacements to the customers who have already purchased the kit.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:13 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

i used e savage driveshafts a little trimming and they fit great, also i drilled through the output shaftsand used set pins
tat2INDY is offline   Reply With Quote