Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 Driveshaft Failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

I disagree, mine have been fine since I put the kit together. Maybe I did something different or maybe I know when it is time to go pick the truck up.

I don't want a slipper, I wanted a locked tranny, locked diffs, no slipper truck. If you want a slipper go put in a stampede or stealth tranny.

So for the 20 people here whining about a problem, Axial should re-tool everything? You think Axial only sold 50 kits? no. For a re-design or recall you would expect about a 80% failure rate of a part before offering a replacement. For everyone here who claims theirs is popping off, think how many aren't having problems.

Axial is also heavily into the crawling scene, so these are likely tested on their drivers rigs.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2007, 07:01 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I disagree, mine have been fine since I put the kit together. Maybe I did something different or maybe I know when it is time to go pick the truck up.

I don't want a slipper, I wanted a locked tranny, locked diffs, no slipper truck. If you want a slipper go put in a stampede or stealth tranny.

So for the 20 people here whining about a problem, Axial should re-tool everything? You think Axial only sold 50 kits? no. For a re-design or recall you would expect about a 80% failure rate of a part before offering a replacement. For everyone here who claims theirs is popping off, think how many aren't having problems.

Axial is also heavily into the crawling scene, so these are likely tested on their drivers rigs.
I think there are a lot more people out there having issue's that don't post here!! So it probably is a rather high percent. However, most have done something about it on there own, probably had the parts laying around to fix it. Most of the people buying the kit will probably never use it likemost the guys here anyway.

I do feel that if Axial is aware of the problem, thay need to fix it. No need to replace all that are out there, but offer a new revised version. Kind of like the wheels. The hexes suck, fix it, but not offer free replacements.

I for one, would just like to be able to get replacement parts!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #43

i am trying some tamiya tt01 shock spring spacers as reinforcement, not the horse shoe clips but the ring collars,they are a good tight fit ,time will tell OMA

Last edited by offmyaxials; 10-03-2007 at 08:42 AM. Reason: needed more info to be clear.
offmyaxials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
I think there are a lot more people out there having issue's that don't post here!! So it probably is a rather high percent. However, most have done something about it on there own, probably had the parts laying around to fix it. Most of the people buying the kit will probably never use it likemost the guys here anyway.

I do feel that if Axial is aware of the problem, thay need to fix it. No need to replace all that are out there, but offer a new revised version. Kind of like the wheels. The hexes suck, fix it, but not offer free replacements.

I for one, would just like to be able to get replacement parts!

I agree I just want replacement parts. And alot of people just fix the problem on their own. An updated drive shaft would be lovely along with the factory bent links among many other factory parts. I would love to see full aluminum shocks and the differnt spring rates that are supposed to be available.

Here is a link to another thread I started just like this one it has a copy of an email Axial sent to me I replyed to them and they never sent me a reply back

Who has drive shaft problems???
quads4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post

Maybe I didn't make my self clear. My truck was not in a situation where a driveshaft should fail. Pick up your truck. Are you kidding me. With a 55t motor and 7 cell battery the motor should stall before anything in the drivetrain breaks.

Axial has sold about 3000 kits and I'm willing to bet that anyone who uses their truck as a competition rock crawler will have this problem. It is a design flaw and one that should be corrected. Axial had the nerve to tell me to try the traxxas yokes. They are fully aware and should correct the problem. Paul told me on the phone that they have no intention to correct that problem. If you're going to put a weak link into a truck. Don't make it the driveshafts.

Start using your truck and you'll join the rest of the frustrated owners.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

I use it daily, 55T and a 6 cell pack. I've had it stall many times.

I haven't had one pop yet and I've using weighed wheels with brass and plastic BB's.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

OK kawika............ so are you saying that the $30 wheels should be a weak link instead of the driveshaft
CHEEZBURGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

i never popped one off with the 55t, but with my new crawlmaster it blew off twice in a 15 minutes..

rc4wd says they are making ax10 specific punisher shafts..

that will fix it for sure..
crawls2thewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

I had problems with my driveshafts with my first test run, so did a buddy of mine... After going over everything, tightening screws and doubling with better set screws in the shafts, haven't had any problems. But I haven't done any crawling like some of the "pros" on here... I'm still a noob!
alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Well I just tried crawling over about a 4" in diamter log and poped the yolk the rear drive shaft and it has been fliped with a zip tie. I can not wait untill somebody comes out with an actual shaft made for the AX10 because these SUCK. know I know why people build crawlers because kits are for general people that just want something to play with.

Ok sorry about the rant
quads4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

I agree that if you aren't popping these shafts you aren't working your truck to its full potential.
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

I am in the same boat, i popped my rear driveshaft a couple of times with my outrunner setup, so i went back to the 55t brushed motor, but the damaged was already there, i put a zip tie and ca around the yoke shaft and it's held on for now, i really would love for axial to offer at least and upgrade for the driveshaft.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Both of my ax-10's have 55t motors and 2 cell lipo's,and both of them ate driveshafts within 1 hour of run time,I have never really had a problem with breaking any parts with crawlers,(I have owned and built at least a dozen tlt and clod based rigs) I know when to pick up my crawler,and I do not agree with Binary that it is a small percentage of people withis problem,the Stampede shafts have fixed both of mine,but you still shouldn't have to go spend another 20 bucks after an hour of run time.
doubledub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Finally I know how you guys feel...kinda. I tried being a wild crazy throttle finger, snapped one of the metal pins in the yoke. Still stuck in the plastic driveshaft though!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Are you guys sure the stampede are not to short? i have a some sets laying around i can use, although the zip tie trick is still holding on well, i just don't want to put the pede shafts on the ax 10 and they start falling out on a bind.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #56
Pebble Pounder

they fixed the problem for me! I have not had a problem since I made the switch
stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Are you guys sure the stampede are not to short? i have a some sets laying around i can use, although the zip tie trick is still holding on well, i just don't want to put the pede shafts on the ax 10 and they start falling out on a bind.
They are plenty long, even in a bind. I am using them on the stock Axial metal yokes and have had zero problems since switching.
GreenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Thanks GreeenRiver, i will just wait for the stock one to pop once more and then i am putting the pede ones in
Old 10-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

I have just installed a set of modified, current-version Punisher II shafts. You can read about it here.
TunaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

$80 for Punishers...nah I'll pass.