Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 Driveshaft Failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEEZBURGER View Post
OK kawika............ so are you saying that the $30 wheels should be a weak link instead of the driveshaft
I think my point regarding this issue has been lost. Axial either made a mistake in designing their metal yokes, or thought that the length of the u-joint pin was good enough to keep the driveshafts on.

What pisses me off is that Paul told me to use another company's product and that they are not planning on correcting the flaw. Fix the problem and at least offer an exchange at cost. They might be the first to offer a good out of the box crawler, but I'm sure Losi or some other larger company is sure to follow. If Axial continues with this type of customer service, they'll loose customers.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
I think my point regarding this issue has been lost. Axial either made a mistake in designing their metal yokes, or thought that the length of the u-joint pin was good enough to keep the driveshafts on.

What pisses me off is that Paul told me to use another company's product and that they are not planning on correcting the flaw. Fix the problem and at least offer an exchange at cost. They might be the first to offer a good out of the box crawler, but I'm sure Losi or some other larger company is sure to follow. If Axial continues with this type of customer service, they'll loose customers.

I am with you I even tried emailing paul back and never got a response. They just blew me off. shoot they already have my money because I bought the kit I am just asking for a little backing of their product. So far my opinion of Axial SUCKS. If Losi of AE or even TRAXXAS comes out with a crawler this thing is going on ebay.

Anyways back to the subject, before this turns into one big argument.

I am waiting on some punisher II shafts so I have dont the stampede fix for now and so far no more drive shaft problems THANK YOU TRAXXAS for an accidental fix.
quads4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #63
Rock Stacker

All you guys that are not having drive shaft problems....good for you.

As for me, the pin pops out the yoke EVERY time I get on it in hard climb or throttle bounce it trying to ascend a hill. I hate this problem....and its the only problem so far.

Axial wont return my emails and Im highly upset with their SH!TTY customer service.

And so you dont think im some troll or newb, Im a review writer for RC Car Action Magazine and RCUniverse.com so I deal with customer service from alot of manufacturers and so far, Axial is the worst. Period.

END RANT
webdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Im a review writer for RC Car Action Magazine and RCUniverse.com
Got proof of that, sorry, I just don't trust either of those 'zines when it comes to reviews.

RCCA everything is always really good and "the best thing out since sliced bread" in EVERY review.

RCUniverse.com is funny, the latest reviewers claim years of experience, watch 1 video and you can tell they can't tune engines. They put "body color" as a con, come on thats personal preference not a true con.

I haven't had problems, did break a driveshaft pin in the yoke, fixed it and still going never once popping a shaft off the yoke. I'm sorry you guys are having problems, there are plenty of fixes. Obviously from what is claimed to have been said by Axial, the lack of a change to the pin length, you might all try moving to solve it yourself. The Punishers work with a small mod, people have been using the Traxxas shafts and metal output shafts. I haven't called or needed Axial's support, though I certainly wouldn't call just an email putting 100% effort into getting support. Try a personal phone call (especially the RCCA and RCuniverse reviewer, you have more contacts than us) or even their own forum.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

I have been to 4 hobby shops and they didn't have anything to do the job that wasn't to short or to large for the spur gear. I was thinking of the Jato shafts for partials. With the rubber boot it is hard to tell whether or not the splines might match up but if they did I would use the male Jato to the female Axial shafts and they would be long enough and be able to clear the spur gear. I called Axial Tuesday and asked when they would have parts for us and they said that they are currently available and in stock so your LHS should go ahead and order them. Tower and the other mail order shops would probably have them now as well. As for me we drilled a 1/Th hole behind the original and used a few strands of copper wire to "safety wire" it tight. All other solutions wont let the yolks do their job and will cause a faster rate failure.The wire doesn't interfere with the articulation of the yolks and also is captive of joints themselves.
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

Jato shafts don't match up to the axial shafts.
dinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #67
Rock Stacker

Broke the front shaft on the first run.
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

Just got off the phone w/ Axial support. Paul told me the shafts are not warrantied. I asked him why and he said that people dont know when to quit and give it too much power and the shaft pops off the u-joint. Doing it multiple times wears it out, rendering it useless.

Then he proceeded to tell me nothing on the AX10 is warrantied and he had never heard of driveshaft failure.

After about 5 minutes of me yelling at Mr Coleman, he finally told me he would send me a few driveshafts and decided he HAD heard of the shaft failing, but since 99% of them dont come back, Axial wont warranty them.
I guess he made an exception for me cause I was being a dick and he wanted me off the phone.LOL
Cute huh?

Last edited by webdr; 10-11-2007 at 06:04 PM.
webdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Poop! Just get the Stampede shafts and Traxxas metal yokes in the beginning and you won't have any problems!
Barillms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

I have had driveshaft failure happen to me also, but only after some battery packs ran through my rig and i was really pushing it on a bind, overall my rig has been perfect except for the driveshaft, should axial be held accountable for the driveshaft? i am not really sure as this may have been implemented as a preventive measure for another more expensive piece not breaking, i think they should come out with an upgrade for these crawlers for those of us who want to risk breaking something else down the driveline.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Just got off the phone w/ Axial support. Paul told me the shafts are not warrantied. I asked him why and he said that people dont know when to quit and give it too much power and the shaft pops off the u-joint. Doing it multiple times wears it out, rendering it useless.

Then he proceeded to tell me nothing on the AX10 is warrantied and he had never heard of driveshaft failure.

After about 5 minutes of me yelling at Mr Coleman, he finally told me he would send me a few driveshafts and decided he HAD heard of the shaft failing, but since 99% of them dont come back, Axial wont warranty them.
I guess he made an exception for me cause I was being a dick and he wanted me off the phone.LOL
Cute huh?

Last edited by quads4_life; 10-12-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

i found if the shaft keeps spinning off the yoke to use a zip tie for a quick fix and i have a new shaft but im still using the other one for now it still hasent come apart after 3 weeks or so of use.
Dickie691986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #73
RCC Addict

I also had driveshaft popping issues. I knew it would happen, had been seeing many others with the problem. I didn't screw around, I installed Maxx shafts and I am done with it. I drilled the pinions and trans outputs, driveshafts won't be a problem anymore.

I was told the RC4WD Punishers shafts bnd up and don't slide under a load.

The only issue with Maxx shafts is that you can't run the 87t spur, they just barely touch each other. Haven't found a suitable replacement spur yet, but if I can find an 84 or 85, that's all it would take to clear.
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #74
Rock Stacker

"my new crawlmaster it blew off"

Same result here. Bound up with Crawlmaster on 10 cell NiMh, 91T and 14T and blammo - dropping shaft with little effort. lol. Gonna be even easier when I get the 10T pinion

Show me the metal so I can break something other than the shaft - nough said
cwkoehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Last edited by quads4_life; 10-16-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #76
Pebble Pounder

mine kept poping off too. i dont drive it as hard as my son does he jams the tire then pulls back on the trigger and pop goes the darn shaft. so i went and got a 17/32 brass tubing and some epoxy and this is what it looks like:

just cut the tubing long enough to cover the pin. now the plasic has a hard time spreading out to allow the pin to pop out. works good so far.
glenn
ggooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

I used Stampede metal output yokes and half shafts. I take two male shaft connected to the output yokes and cut the female slider yoke off. I use a set screw to hold the female slider shaft on the axle side male shaft. You will have to cut to fit this due to the length of the
two male shaft.
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #78
RCC Addict

Talking

One way to save the drive-system....
install a slipper...I used Traxxas slipper kit for Electric vehichle, but had to use the nitro-russler upper shaft, remove the gear -drill out the pin -and use the sock gear. You'll have to make a spacer between the slipper and outer brg. . Easy and works very well, saving equipment at the same time
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

I personally prefer that the yoke pop off rather than the shaft getting destroyed, yes it will wear in time, but it is better to pop it back on than have something bad happen. This is the weak link in my drive system, and it is much easier to replace a drive shaft than an axle shaft or tranny gear.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:08 AM   #80

Just in case you haven't seen this yet, it appears Axial has come up with somewhat of an optional fix for this issue:

http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...&productId=692
kulangflow is offline   Reply With Quote