Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 Driveshaft Failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Not to beat up Axial because they did make a great product, but shouldn't these be offered for "free" to the people that have already bought the kit and included in the new kits?... it would only be fair on there part IMO
HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #82
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntFreaks.com View Post
Not to beat up Axial because they did make a great product, but shouldn't these be offered for "free" to the people that have already bought the kit and included in the new kits?... it would only be fair on there part IMO
Are you talking about the new drive shaft rings. If so I agree
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulangflow View Post
Just in case you haven't seen this yet, it appears Axial has come up with somewhat of an optional fix for this issue:

http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...&productId=692
Yes
Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

FLAME AWAY!

But in my opinion, no they should not be offered for free to owners. They have no way of knowing who bought how many. Yes the drive shafts are a weak link. Did Tamiya offer new shafts for the clods to all owners? No they didnt. And yes I know that clods were not designed to do what we do with them. Honestly, if I were to come out with a kit like axial did, it would have a slipper clutch. When these rigs get bound up, something has to give. I know I am glad its just the drive shafts and not the diffs. I have been running my rig hard. Trying to get out of spots when the tires are bound up. I cracked a drive shaft for the first time this weekend. I am also getting alot of slop in the drive. Its time to go through it and do some rebuilding. I have not had a problem as of yet with the wheel hexes. I check mine after ever battery pack. They will back off some but thats because of taking the nuts off and on. They lock nuts are going to wear out and loose. I think if you keep them tight, you wont have as much of a problem of of them. And at least axial has come up with after market parts to help us with the problem. If you dont want to buy them, then make your own like many have already done.

Edit: Also, I am going to stay away from the drilling of the pinion. I just dont see the pinion as having enough metal after you drill it. I think they will snap before the shafts will. Especially if your running the max shafts.

Last edited by Rockcrawler; 12-04-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:04 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

If $20 to fix a problem YOU have and many others aren't having is too much time to give up on RC and RC Crawling. I have only popped one when I was so bound I should have known better. Zip Tie and its good and going strong for a very long time.

Spend the $ and buy the upgrade if YOU want. I do not feel Axial owes me anything. Remember Nylints stopped being made because people were abusing the system of repairs.

If you don't like the stock set up and don't want to spend a few dollars to fix it, go buy a TLT and run it stock out of the box and tell me how awesome everything holds up.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
If $20 to fix a problem YOU have and many others aren't having is too much time to give up on RC and RC Crawling. I have only popped one when I was so bound I should have known better. Zip Tie and its good and going strong for a very long time.

Spend the $ and buy the upgrade if YOU want. I do not feel Axial owes me anything. Remember Nylints stopped being made because people were abusing the system of repairs.

If you don't like the stock set up and don't want to spend a few dollars to fix it, go buy a TLT and run it stock out of the box and tell me how awesome everything holds up.

X2
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
FLAME AWAY!

But in my opinion, no they should not be offered for free to owners. They have no way of knowing who bought how many. Yes the drive shafts are a weak link. Did Tamiya offer new shafts for the clods to all owners? No they didnt. And yes I know that clods were not designed to do what we do with them. Honestly, if I were to come out with a kit like axial did, it would have a slipper clutch. When these rigs get bound up, something has to give. I know I am glad its just the drive shafts and not the diffs. I have been running my rig hard. Trying to get out of spots when the tires are bound up. I cracked a drive shaft for the first time this weekend. I am also getting alot of slop in the drive. Its time to go through it and do some rebuilding. I have not had a problem as of yet with the wheel hexes. I check mine after ever battery pack. They will back off some but thats because of taking the nuts off and on. They lock nuts are going to wear out and loose. I think if you keep them tight, you wont have as much of a problem of of them. And at least axial has come up with after market parts to help us with the problem. If you dont want to buy them, then make your own like many have already done.

Edit: Also, I am going to stay away from the drilling of the pinion. I just dont see the pinion as having enough metal after you drill it. I think they will snap before the shafts will. Especially if your running the max shafts.
I also have had no problem with the wheel hexs the only this far is the drive shafts popping apart
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

please Nylints and tlts are toys that were never meant for what we do with them... and all axial owns anyone is to fix the one prob. with there already great "purpose built" kit... I own 3 sets of ax10 axles/tannys so I'm on the ax10 band wagon as well... I also have the REAL fix (not a bandaid)... but that will be in a future post...

Last edited by HauntFreaks.com; 12-05-2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: adding to post
Old 12-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #89

another good idea to fix the Drive shaft Failure

check it, i have post a new idea to fix the shaft failure problem
kaho0338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #90

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronJunk View Post
I put the Traxxas Jato sliders on the Axial yokes. The Jato smaller diameter "inside" slider is not as long as the stock Axial slider however during a pretty harsh rock test last night the Traxxas shafts held up fine.
ElectronJunk
I'm also using the the Jato ones but with the stock Axial yokes. The new Axial shaft rings look promising for those who want to run the stock shafts...
moonweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
...go buy a TLT and run it stock out of the box and tell me how awesome everything holds up.
well said sir. I don't care what the tlt was built for, everything can use improvement.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
well said sir. I don't care what the tlt was built for, everything can use improvement.
lol... I think you might have misunderstood what he was saying... he more or less he is saying that a stock TLT axle will never hold up as well as a stock ax10 axle... and I couldnt agree more...
Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #93
Oliver Custom Knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntFreaks.com View Post
please Nylints and tlts are toys that were never meant for what we do with them... and all axial owns anyone is to fix the one prob. with there already great "purpose built" kit... I own 3 sets of ax10 axles/tannys so I'm on the ax10 band wagon as well... I also have the REAL fix (not a bandaid)... but that will be in a future post...

Well whats the " REAL " fix ? I would like to know

Last edited by DwaneO; 01-15-2008 at 11:23 AM.
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote