Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Complete list of what you need to build up your AX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Complete list of what you need to build up your AX-10

I posted this as a reply in the newbie forum, but thought since there's likely to be a lot of newbs to the rc crawler scene that start with this kit, it might be worthwhile to post here. If not, it'll die a quick death!

At a minimum, to build up the AX-10 from scratch (assuming you have nothing else rc related), you'll need:

(1) AX-10 kit
(1) 2-channel controller/receiver (tx/rx) such as a Traxxas TQ2 (e-bay is a good source)
(1) Servo - go with one with metal gears. Hitec 645MG are a popular choice.
(1) Battery - go with a stock 6 pack nickel metal hydride (NiMH). Even the cheapo batteries seem to work well with crawlers.
(1) Battery charger - save yourself the hassle, don't buy a timed charger. They really are junk and can be hard on batteries. Buy one with peak detection (stops full charging when the battery is charged and usually switches over to a trickle charge). Lots of options, just make sure it's compatible with your battery (i.e., charges NiMH batteries, charges 6 cells). With a standard 6 pack, you have a huge number of options.
(1) Motor - You'll want a 540 sized electric motor. The most popular for the AX-10 are probably the 55 turn Integy lathe motors. You'll also need motor leads and possibly a soldering iron and 60/40 solder (if the leads require soldering) if you go with the Integy motor, as it doesn't come with them already attached.
(1) ESC - electronic speed control. This is what controls the motor throttle (speed) and direction (forward/reverse). Huge range available and really something you need to look into for yourself. Probably the cheapest is a moped. Actually, for an AX-10, you could get away with running an XL-5 esc (Traxxas product) and those are available for pretty cheap. Whatever you choose, make sure it can handle the 6 cells (all should be able to) and has reverse built in (most do).

You'll also need a few other items to finish your build, such as:

- hex drivers - don't cheap out here, get a good set of metric hex drivers.
- needlenose pliers, screwdrivers, metric socket bits, the general assortment of home tools.
- lexan scissors and body reamer (you could get away with regular scissors and a drill, but these make it much easier to finish the body).
- lexan paint (for painting the body, it comes unpainted).

I think that's about it. Your most expensive investment, aside from the kit itself, will likely be the esc. If you're starting from absolute scratch, look to spend about the same amount on needed accessories as you pay for the kit itself (maybe that's a bit high, but always good to be over budgeted rather than underbudgeted).

And as always, support the vendors that support this site

Good luck!

Chris

P.S. I'm not getting any kickback from rcpcrawlers for linking to their site for a lot of the above, they were just the first convenient crawler site that had most of the stuff listed. Feel free to support the vendor of your choice.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #2

Thanks for the info. I am a newb to the RC world but not to the offroad world. Just love my Jeep and looking for something to build and use through the winter with my kids.
Op4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

good post , this should be stickyed
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote