Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Kaetwo's J2-TT Axial Build....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Kaetwo's J2-TT Axial Build....NEW DETAILS

Well with the release of the new Axial axles, Pinch and I thought we had better jump on this fad while it lasted

I have to say that Axial has done a great job with the Scorpion. There attention to detail with this kit is amazing. The axles, tranny, etc....are all top notch. I'm looking foreward to all the new builds that will be coming out with these new Axial products.

Now onto the new build

Pinch and I set out to see how easy the new Axial axles and tranny would be to setup on the Reign J2-TT chassis. As it turns out its fairly easy to do and requires no custom fabing. Pinch did a great job with his build and it should be a fairly simple bolt and go setup.

Me on the other hand can't leave things alone and had to come up with a different approach. There subtle changes but I like the way it lays out and should be fairly easy mod.

I wanted to use as much of the kit parts as possible. Links, axles, tranny, drive lines etc.... I narrowed the chassis about 1/2" to a total width of 3" and milled out the chassis plate to reduce hangup when rolling over the rocks (an idea that I originally got from looking at Benders rig, sorry Bender if that reveals a secret :-) ). I was also able to use all the stock links which was cool as that makes the chassis swap and setup much easier.

Outside of the kit I added a Reign J2-TT chassis, 3.5" traxxas shocks, and a pair of custom crossmembers (soon to be replaced by Axial 70mm standoffs

I still have to mount up the electronics and tune the suspension. I would also like to bend the lower links to increase clearance, however I wanted to put a subtle round bend in the link rather than a sharp angle. I'm interested in seeing if this increases it's ability to climb vertical ledges easier.

Now onto the images

Enjoy!

Attached Images

Last edited by kaetwo; 02-09-2008 at 04:46 PM.
kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

looks comp ready
BEAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Excellent K2, Are you going to run it at state???And PM me your PP address...
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Hey thanks guys!

I'll have it up and running for St. George for sure. I know that I'm making a bold statement by saying this but I plan to use this chassis the rest of the year and next

I know I know, laugh it up but I'm going to try though

PM sent!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

nice build K2, it is amazing how easily all that axial stuff bolts right up to the J2 chassis, almost like it was made for it.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

No laughing here, that chassis is a competitor...
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger View Post
nice build K2, it is amazing how easily all that axial stuff bolts right up to the J2 chassis, almost like it was made for it.
It's often mentioned but seldom ever done, but I seriously just spit my Halo3 Mountain Dew onto my laptop.

What a mess!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Really digging all these Axial inspired builds!

The J2 version looks great!

Last edited by dezfan; 09-17-2007 at 01:32 PM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Say hello to my dactylion

Here is a link to the other J2-TT/AX-10 build. I built mine up as if someone just bought only the axles and trany from Axial.

My Reign J2-TT / Axial AX-10 Build

Kaetwo and I will be doing extensive testing on both build ups for all you guys. So whether you Want to upgrade your stock Scorpion chassis or just build off the AX-10 axles & trany Reign will have you covered.

Feel free to PM either Kaetwo of myself, PinchFlat with any questions you may have.

(Uni... HAHAHAHA. If I were drinking some soda I would have spit it all over my keyboard too.)
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
Here is a link to the other J2-TT/AX-10 build. I built mine up as if someone just bought only the axles and trany from Axial.

My Reign J2-TT / Axial AX-10 Build

Kaetwo and I will be doing extensive testing on both build ups for all you guys. So whether you Want to upgrade your stock Scorpion chassis or just build off the AX-10 axles & trany Reign will have you covered.

Feel free to PM either Kaetwo of myself, PinchFlat with any questions you may have.

(Uni... HAHAHAHA. If I were drinking some soda I would have spit it all over my keyboard too.)

hey Pinchflat

did you run yours in the nat.
1beatjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
hey Pinchflat

did you run yours in the nat.
Sigh... No but I probably should have... I now I would have done way better using a familiar chassis. Next year..heheh
Old 09-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
and milled out the chassis plate to reduce hangup when rolling over the rocks (an idea that I originally got from looking at Benders rig, sorry Bender if that reveals a secret :-) ).
Axial did the same thing on their skidplate. They have grooves on the bottom of theirs. That's what you meant right? Nifty idea. I wondered why, and then figured it would benefit the truck in a forward direction, but I wondered about it sliding sideways and what would happen. Would it catch up on an edge? Well, really, it doesn't seem to.

Anyways, Kaetwo, Pinch, great looking trucks, and I'm still thrilled with my J2. But that newer chassis looks so good...

Keep it up guys!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #13

Thanks EeePee.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

EeePee you spot on with the grooves. Axials kit is so complete. It impresses me more and more with the attention to detail that these guys have put into the kit.

Just the little things like the grooves in the chassis plate, ackerman, steel yokes, aluminum servo mounting plates, easily removable inner axles, lock-on hexes, etc etc....shoot I could be a spokesman for the company.

Back to the build.... :-)

I've still got to install the electronics, but I'm getting there.

New pics soon.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

amazing rig... wow.
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:06 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Looks amazing Brett I look forward to seeing it in St. George. Thats right I am actually planning on coming out to a comp.
Big Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Nice rig. Looking forward to October.

Bwhwhhahhaha
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #18
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
I narrowed the chassis about 1/2" to a total width of 3" and milled out the chassis plate to reduce hangup when rolling over the rocks (an idea that I originally got from looking at Benders rig, sorry Bender if that reveals a secret :-) ).
Damn, my secret is out!!

Build looks sweet, very clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Axial did the same thing on their skidplate. They have grooves on the bottom of theirs. That's what you meant right? Nifty idea. I wondered why, and then figured it would benefit the truck in a forward direction, but I wondered about it sliding sideways and what would happen. Would it catch up on an edge?
I actually milled the skid out some to stop my rig from sliding sidways when I belly up on an obstacle. Without the center being milled, my rig would slide to one side or the other when it did belly up. Now it seems to stay on my choosen line a little better.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
my rig would slide to one side or the other when it did belly up. Now it seems to stay on my choosen line a little better.
Very nice observation. How about a conveyor or track along the bottom. Some ideas that keep me up at night.....
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #20
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
Very nice observation. How about a conveyor or track along the bottom. Some ideas that keep me up at night.....
That idea crossed my mind too. I also thought about using Delrin rods on bearings, instead of a skid, so the underside of the chassis is on rollers.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote