Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Late to the party but im here with my ax10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Late to the party but im here with my ax10

Got a few questions and yes im a bit lazy with the search button. plus i dont like post 6 thread when i can get it all in one

Comming form a back ground in rc racing touring cars and electric buggy the freshly built truck has a few things that are odd to me:

-No droop? Is this normal? the springs are a bit frim for such a light truck, or should i say for the low amount of sprung weight, i think 80% of the truck is in the axels. Since it does not get jumped nor race through bumpy tracks am i just over analizing this set up? IS this the norm? Im wanting to seach out some softer springs at this point.

-Tires got bounce. Did my own insert mods mostly thinning and trimming around the bead area(similar to what i would do to a buggy insert) And installed lead tape around the from rims only... I have not vented the rims yet but im going to do that now as they seem to be holding lots of air.

A combonation of the two things above make this truck bounce when dropped from even a short distance(something i would not accept with my race buggy or even my sedans) Should the trucks not squat when dropped? The thing seems so sprung... Ill test again after the venting

-Motor, uh my tuned CO27 is lets just say a bit much! LOL even on 5 cells. I have my 65T on order so i grabbed my CRC 12volt motor from my comm lathe in the mean time, that slowed it down but almost too much, not sure what specs this motor is so ill wait for the 65t before i mess with gearing and such.

-Batteries, i have lots of sub-c cells 3300s,3800s,4300s and a bunch of IB 1200 and 1400 2/3a cells. IS the norm to run a 5cell receiver pack and a main 6 cell pack? OR just go right with a 4200 sub c pack on the axels and skip the rx pack? I have enouhg 1400s that i though about going 6 on the axel for main power and 5cell on the front of the top deck to run the servo. Thoughts? Lipo is not really an option since i have so many retired race packs at my disposal and the 2/3a cells

-servo, go my sedan servo in there hitec 925, a bit fast but about 120oz of torque seems to be working fine. What if i replace it should i consider a minimum torque rating for a truck of this size?

-Body is in the paint shop..... hope to get it back soon

thanks in advance... need to find some rocks now!
TKG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

its bouncy if dropped but the stock springs will end up feeling soft after you play with it..

its all up to you and how you like it... definately vent the rims...

the 2/3 a cells would be the best, since they can be placed over the servo for more wieght up front..i'd go with 6 cells for the 65t..

your servo will work ,but 200oz or more is a common size for crawlers..

other than that just read read read......
crawls2thewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

kool im on the right track then..... ventig and warming up the HAKO!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Ok so i vented the tires. But the truck still bounces when dropped. Could others owners verify if yours also does this? ITs not major cuz its not for jumping, but i guess im not used to such stiff springs supporting such a light chassis, is the bounce normal? And the springs are simply there to control articulation? And there should be no droop or sag?

One more thing my c-hubs came loose and not on the trees so i missed wich where supposed to be left or right. The instructions said to build 2 identical axels wich i did, that gave me a front cast with the normal swept back angle.(this is correct as all cars or trucks use positive caster up front) But the rear is swept forward(negative). IS that the way its supposed to be in the rear or should i flip them??

-still waiting for motor, CRC 12volt lathe motor is doing the work for now but its very very slow
-945 gear set on order to swap out in my hitec 925 servo

Here is the ride. Here is my ride, simple clean paint job,

Last edited by TKG26; 10-02-2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: more
Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

rear caster doesn't matter unless you have four wheel steering..

and i'll say it again.. its bouncy when dropped, but when crawling you really never jump... do you??........lol
crawls2thewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

no i dont jump it, so bouncy is normal.Thats all im asking. If its normal its normal, its the only RC i have ever owned that bounced. WEll i think my first car back in 1988 bounced! LOL I come from racing background so i find it odd to see something bounce like this
Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Good looking paint job. If you don't like the green on the links and beadlock rings, use Easy Off (yellow can) and it will eat the green right off. Then you will have regular old aluminum. Leave it be or polish them.
WKKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:22 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

thanks, i like the green so far, but they are scapping on the bottom so eventually the easy off will come out!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Wait until you see Pierres body Joel.

bodywerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Looks good I sure like the old truck bodys!
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

A properly set up crawler shouldn't bounce. Make sure the vent holes are big enough to let the air out fast enough. I use 2 1/8" holes. If you have added weight to the wheels (front and about half that much in the rear) then cut the foams in either a star pattern or a center channel cut. If it still bounces it may be the tires. Mine used to bounce but after getting the weight right it doesn't bounce anymore, but I use Losi and Proline tires. I have not experimented much with my Axial tires.

It is very common for crawlers to be set up with no droop in the shocks. Some people experiment with different amounts of droop but for starters just leave them fully extended. Once you get more experience and drive time then play with droop.

RX packs all depend on your ESC. What ESC are you using? An ESC like a Rooster Crawler will not need an RX pack or a voltage regulator. I use a voltage regulator with my Mamba25 because I use a Hitec 5998TG or 5955 servo. The Hitec 645 has about the minimum amount of torque you want.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 10-03-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

thanks, got an old novak reactor, i dont need the rx pack but was looking to add weight and get some extra servo grunt, ill proabaly skip the rx pack though
Old 10-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

before you do much to those tires, id replace them. they're awsome on like one type of rock and suck on all the others
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

what would be stickier sticky lizards or moabs?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:03 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon51 View Post
Looks good I sure like the old truck bodys!
Thats the body that comes with the kit.
Barillms is offline   Reply With Quote