Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: SW3 Build with AX10 axles and tranny........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Can I jump it?
Whatever you do, run it like a rental
IRON CHEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #42

yeah trash that thing, I dont care
ACrawler2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Love it..
PaulEZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:50 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
I cut four 3/4" long pieces of fuel tubing to go over the shock shafts before assembling the shocks. This will lower the ride height and limit the amount of articulation the rig has. With standard Losi Rock Claw tires I have just under 3" of belly clearance, perfect for a 2.2 comp rig IMO. I ended up with just about the right amount of flex too, about 6" max.
This has to be one of the most valuable pieces of information for New-B Crawlers.
After using the ¾” fuel tubing in the shocks, I get the same “just under 3” of belly clearance with a stock AX-10 on Lizards. Now it “climes” and “hills” like a spider. I have not added weight and Betty is mounted sky-high with a Blower!

Thank you again Mr. Bender.
NinJato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #45

I have one question have you ran it on rocks yet ? Please tell if so how she went . This is a very nice build .
hagass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #46
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJato View Post
This has to be one of the most valuable pieces of information for New-B Crawlers.
After using the ¾” fuel tubing in the shocks, I get the same “just under 3” of belly clearance with a stock AX-10 on Lizards. Now it “climes” and “hills” like a spider. I have not added weight and Betty is mounted sky-high with a Blower!

Thank you again Mr. Bender.
No problem NinJato, glad it helped the performance of your rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagass View Post
I have one question have you ran it on rocks yet ? Please tell if so how she went . This is a very nice build .
I haven't had it out on the rocks yet. Hopefully I can give it a test run this weekend. I'll try and get some pics and video when I do.

Thanks guys.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #47
2006 2.2 National Champ

I managed to get a little testing in today. It works a lot better then I ever thought a super lightweight 12" wheelbase rig could. I was able to make almost every line at Red Rocks that my 2.2 comp rig can do.

Here's a few pics on the rocks. I shot a little video too, I'll try to get it posted tonight.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Looks extremely capable… How much weight did you end up adding?
NinJato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #49
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJato View Post
Looks extremely capable… How much weight did you end up adding?
I'm not running any extra weight at all yet, I wanted to try this set-up first. I'm guessing it weighs about 4 pounds RTR right now. Next I will add some weight to the wheels, probably about 3-4 ozs in front and about half that in the rear. Then will see how it performs.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #50
MODERHATER™

So how was the Black/25 with those packs? I just got done building some for mine+I am running a Black/25 combo, so I am curious. Also I am using my Spektrum DX-3, did you ever have issues with your Spektrum shutting down running the new packs, with the 25? I have not run mine yet exept with a 3cell lipo on the carpet but with this rig I didn't think it was necessary.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

666: If its a lower voltage type shut down, I used to get them with my Brushless 4wd buggy and high power servo. I assume it could be the same, decent draw might cause the spektrum to loop out. Spektrum sells a capacitor I ended up having to use. Stores the juice for when amp draw is high and prevents the "shut down" due to power draw. They are cheap too...might be worth a shot.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #52
MODERHATER™

I know all about that, been there done that, the fix is to get the drain away from the receiver via regulator or receiver pack. I was asking BENDER if he has had the issue with the weak BEC on the Mamba 25.

In my experience the capacitor thing does nothing.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #53
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
So how was the Black/25 with those packs? I just got done building some for mine+I am running a Black/25 combo, so I am curious. Also I am using my Spektrum DX-3, did you ever have issues with your Spektrum shutting down running the new packs, with the 25? I have not run mine yet exept with a 3cell lipo on the carpet but with this rig I didn't think it was necessary.
It works ok with the black Revolver/Mamba 25 and the 2/3A cells. I'm just running a 645mg, so the BEC isn't getting overloaded at all, even with the Spektrum. There is a little cogging at start up once in a while though.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #54
2006 2.2 National Champ

Video is up.
Video of SW3 with AX10 axles and tranny........
Old 10-13-2007, 11:35 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Great video Brad!

I am starting to contemplate changing the direction for my SW3.
hlpressley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #56
Pebble Pounder

Looks great in the video I'm keen to get my hands on a sw3. Could you supply all that is needed to convert a box stock AX10?
SkR8pN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #57
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkR8pN View Post
Looks great in the video I'm keen to get my hands on a sw3. Could you supply all that is needed to convert a box stock AX10?
It was a pretty easy conversion. The stock Axial standoffs are just a bit wider then the stock SW3 skid. So, I used washers to space the motor side chassis plate out to match the stock AX10 standoffs width. Basically you'll need some nitro fuel line (to limit the shocks), some M3 flat washers, an 1/8" drill bit (for drilling the skid plate), turnbuckles for lower links (or make your own lowers). I'm running Losi white buggy springs in front and on the right rear. The left rear has a stock AX10 grey spring. I'm running 10 wt oil in the front shocks and stock AX10 oil in the rear shocks.

Parts from the AX10 kit you can use.......
Axles
Tranny
Upper links
Chassis standoffs
Shocks
Steering tie rod and drag link
Body posts
Wheels
Tires
Driveshafts
Metal yokes on tranny and axles
Rod ends
Assorted M3 hardware

I think that's pretty much it.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation Awesome!!!

The performance of this truck is amazing!!!
Sorry if I missed it, but what is the GC?
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Rockmuncher >
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
I want to use as much of the stock Axial hardware as possible. But, the stock shocks are a lot longer then most 4" shocks that the SW3 was designed to use. I decided to try and limit the travel of the shocks to see how it would work. I cut four 3/4" long pieces of fuel tubing to go over the shock shafts before assembling the shocks. This will lower the ride height and limit the amount of articulation the rig has. With standard Losi Rock Claw tires I have just under 3" of belly clearance, perfect for a 2.2 comp rig IMO. I ended up with just about the right amount of flex too, about 6" max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Shane
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 PM   #60
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Shane
Thanks. There are things that can be tweaked to make this rig perform even better. My shocks were a little too stiff in the video, same with the tire foams. Like Rubbaneck posted I have just under 3" of belly clearance right now.

I finally got a chance to weigh this rig today, weighed in at just a tick over 3.6 pounds. I swapped out to my Axial beadlocks and added some weight to the wheels, and it still only weighs a hair over 4.3 pounds. I am going to try and give it another test run soon.

I did notice that I broke the upper link mount on the front axle too. It still works, but it is cracked.