Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: SW3 Build with AX10 axles and tranny........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #61
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Thanks. There are things that can be tweaked to make this rig perform even better. My shocks were a little too stiff in the video, same with the tire foams. Like Rubbaneck posted I have just under 3" of belly clearance right now.

I finally got a chance to weigh this rig today, weighed in at just a tick over 3.6 pounds. I swapped out to my Axial beadlocks and added some weight to the wheels, and it still only weighs a hair over 4.3 pounds. I am going to try and give it another test run soon.

I did notice that I broke the upper link mount on the front axle too. It still works, but it is cracked.
Now that is a lightweight!!

My rear upper link mount is broke/cracked too, and I have not even crawled rocks yet.....
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #62
MODERATOR™

I ran mine cracked for a while, and with the washer there it actually never completely let go.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #63
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I ran mine cracked for a while, and with the washer there it actually never completely let go.
Yeah, I threw the washers on when I built it up too. I don't think it'll be a big deal for now. I threw some fuel line in there too, to remove the little bit of slop the rod end had.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

how can i get one and how much?
kid rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #65
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid rock View Post
how can i get one and how much?
If you're looking for the chassis, here's a link to my vendors thread.
Bender Customs SW3 Chassis...........
Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #66

The rig looks great, the video was cool, the only thing missing were the hot chicks. Maybe next time.
ACrawler2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I dig the rig

I too have been playing with a lighter rig and it seems to work really well.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #68
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACrawler2NV View Post
The rig looks great, the video was cool, the only thing missing were the hot chicks. Maybe next time.
I'm working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
I dig the rig

I too have been playing with a lighter rig and it seems to work really well.

Thanks man. I was surprised how good it worked at 3.6 pounds. Even with foams and shocks that were too stiff, it did 90% of the lines I can do with my SW3 TLT.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #69
Gettin’ back on the horse

Where have I been?
Damn call me next time you go out there with this feather weight.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #70

Nice looking rig!
lt1wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Thanks man. I was surprised how good it worked at 3.6 pounds. Even with foams and shocks that were too stiff, it did 90% of the lines I can do with my SW3 TLT.
It's funny but since running the lighter rig I've noticed a huge increase in side hilling. I've been able to pull lines that I never could before and I know it's not my driving. I still suck every bit as bad as I did before :-)

I think you mentioned that you noticed how the Losi tires performed better with a light rig and I think that's the key. Pinch's and my rigs are below 4 lbs and there running better than ever.

So if your making this rig for someone else, are there plans to run one yourself?

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

I ran my SW2 super light for over a year and had OK luck with it but I think it was due to the Moabs. When the Losi's came out Brad said they would be sweet for my rig and it looks like he was right! Too bad I am building an SW3 for the winter series and it is already heavier than my other rig and I don't even have a transmission mounted up yet! Brad, I may have to hit you up for some lightening of my MSD wheels. I have a new part you may be interested in to... PM me for more info!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #73
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
It's funny but since running the lighter rig I've noticed a huge increase in side hilling. I've been able to pull lines that I never could before and I know it's not my driving. I still suck every bit as bad as I did before :-)

I think you mentioned that you noticed how the Losi tires performed better with a light rig and I think that's the key. Pinch's and my rigs are below 4 lbs and there running better than ever.

So if your making this rig for someone else, are there plans to run one yourself?

I noticed this rig sidehills with very little drama too. I may build one up for myself at some point. My TLT axles are still pretty much new, so I'll probably run them for a while before building another. I do want to pick-up another Axial tranny for my 2.2, it's a lot more compact and lighter then my Pede. I'll try to get some more testing in with this rig this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
I ran my SW2 super light for over a year and had OK luck with it but I think it was due to the Moabs. When the Losi's came out Brad said they would be sweet for my rig and it looks like he was right! Too bad I am building an SW3 for the winter series and it is already heavier than my other rig and I don't even have a transmission mounted up yet! Brad, I may have to hit you up for some lightening of my MSD wheels. I have a new part you may be interested in to... PM me for more info!
The Losi Rock Claws would have worked good on your fly weight SW2. I cut on my MSD wheels quite a bit, and they aren't much lighter now. It was helpful, but I was hoping it would have shed more weight then it did.

Sending you a PM now.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #74
2006 2.2 National Champ

I added a little weight to the wheels and it's performing a lot better now. Just adding a few ounces made a huge difference.

I also countersunk the tranny mounting holes and mounted the tranny with flathead screws, so the bottom is nice and smooth again.

Last edited by BENDER; 10-19-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #75
RCCRAWLER TEAM DRIVER

After driving this rig today I still can not belive how it side hills I have a lot of TLT stuff that might be going away to make room for one of these. Awasome rig Brad you got the set up perfact
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #76
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
After driving this rig today I still can not belive how it side hills I have a lot of TLT stuff that might be going away to make room for one of these. Awasome rig Brad you got the set up perfact
Thanks man, I'm really happy with how it turned out. I'm also surprised at the performance of it for weighing less then 4.5 pounds.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #77

Looks like a great combo, I have been thinking about getting these axles and tranny for the strength and clearance of the axles, also I like the idea of a really light rig...keep up the nice work!
RWKXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #78

So Bender which do you like the best tlt based comp rig or the ax-10 version .
hagass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:46 PM   #79
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagass View Post
So Bender which do you like the best tlt based comp rig or the ax-10 version .
I love my SW3 TLT, but this SW3 AX10 is turning out to be a very capable rig, with very little tweaking. We had a few 2.2's out at a local crawl spot this weekend, and the AX10 SW3 did almost every obstacle my TLT based comp rig could with a shorter wheelbase. It's also a little lighter set-up then my 2.2 comp rig, which should be easier on parts. I may build one up for myself at some point. I'm sure with a little more testing it could be as capable as my rig, if not more.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #80
2006 2.2 National Champ

Turns out I had the wrong turnbuckles linked to the first post, I just edited it for the correct part number. You want Traxxas part #5538 (61mm Jato turnbuckles), not #5539 (58mm Jato turnbuckles) to use as lower links with the stock AX10 upper links. I also added the upper link chassis spacers for the stock chassis to the upper 3 link mounts, at the axle. Like the CKRC tech article on the front page. You can see the extra green spacer on the upper 3 link in the 7th pic. I had to use a longer M3 screw, but it stretches the wheelbase out to 12 1/2", instead of the shorter 12" wheelbase I started with.