Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: SW3 Build with AX10 axles and tranny........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
2006 2.2 National Champ

Arrow SW3 Build with AX10 axles and tranny........

Finally got a chance to start a build with the AX10 Scorpion and my SW3 chassis. After finishing up the axles, I assembled the upper Y links from the Axial kit. With the stock SW3 skid plate bolted up to the chassis plates, the Y link's rod ends fit on the outside of the chassis nicely. Using the stock upper links, my wheelbase will be about 12". So I found some Jato turnbuckles, Part #5538 in my toolbox and they work perfectly as lower links. I tried using the stock lower links, but they were too long.
Attached Images

Last edited by BENDER; 10-27-2007 at 09:26 AM.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'm watchin , you going to leave the wheelbase at 12" ?
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Finally got a chance to start a build with the AX10 Scorpion and my SW3 chassis. After finishing up the axles, I assembled the upper Y links from the Axial kit. With the stock SW3 skid plate bolted up to the chassis plates, the Y link's rod ends fit on the outside of the chassis nicely. Using the stock upper links, my wheelbase will be about 12". So I found some Jato turnbuckles in my toolbox and they work perfectly as lower links. I tried using the stock lower links, but they were too long.
Looking good, need to get that chassis anodised green!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
2006 2.2 National Champ

I want to use as much of the stock Axial hardware as possible. But, the stock shocks are a lot longer then most 4" shocks that the SW3 was designed to use. I decided to try and limit the travel of the shocks to see how it would work. I cut four 3/4" long pieces of fuel tubing to go over the shock shafts before assembling the shocks. This will lower the ride height and limit the amount of articulation the rig has. With standard Losi Rock Claw tires I have just under 3" of belly clearance, perfect for a 2.2 comp rig IMO. I ended up with just about the right amount of flex too, about 6" max.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
RCC Addict

looks clean well all but the tires I wish I had a place like that to work on my rc cars
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
TEAM RCC

Looks like its going to be light
CRF450R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
2006 2.2 National Champ

Mounting the tranny turned out to be a piece of cake, using a Dremel and an 1/8" drill bit. I used the stock Axial skid plate to transfer the tranny hole pattern to the SW3 skid plate using a scribe. I used a center punched to mark the scribed holes and keep the drill bit from wandering. I only drilled 2 holes and the tranny seems to be solidly mounted. The tranny housing fits into the opening on the SW3's engraved chassis plate. I tucked the tranny into the opening enough so the housing is flush with the outside of the chasis plate. This seems to center the motor in the chassis better then the Pede tranny too. The stock driveshafts bolted right up and clear the links without any issues. The stock Axial standoffs are just a little wider then stock TLT standoffs, but they fit in and will work fine.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
RCC Addict

that fits nice..will you be selling per drilled skid plate anytime soon?
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd View Post
I'm watchin , you going to leave the wheelbase at 12" ?
Not sure. I'm building this for a guy here in Colorado, so it'll be up to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Looking good, need to get that chassis anodised green!
That would look sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushlessnut View Post
looks clean well all but the tires I wish I had a place like that to work on my rc cars
Didn't have time to assemble the wheels and tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF450R View Post
Looks like its going to be light
It is very light right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushlessnut View Post
that fits nice..will you be selling per drilled skid plate anytime soon?
I'm not sure yet. I may offer a template so people can drill their own holes, or I may drill them myself.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by BENDER; 10-08-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Bender looks great man...

I always wondered why you left the 1 side so wide open, figuring it was for the wider more common trannies, but even the tiny AX-10 one looks huge, you must have a real narrow package.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Bender looks great man...

I always wondered why you left the 1 side so wide open, figuring it was for the wider more common trannies, but even the tiny AX-10 one looks huge, you must have a real narrow package.
Thanks. The SW3 is a pretty narrow chassis, it's just over 2" wide.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
[HOONIGAN]

Nice Brad!
I need to get some ax-10 axles my sw3!
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Dang it Brad......I should have known you would beat me to this project. Oh well it just makes it easier for me to copy it...........Looks nice
hlpressley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
Nice Brad!
I need to get some ax-10 axles my sw3!
Thanks. Get busy wrenching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlpressley View Post
Dang it Brad......I should have known you would beat me to this project. Oh well it just makes it easier for me to copy it...........Looks nice
Sorry man, I've been wanting to do this build for a while too.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #15
MODERHATER™

You beat me to it, all this time I have been trying to use all the links from the kit. I am about to drill holes in the chassis. Sorry I was not faster.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #16
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
You beat me to it, all this time I have been trying to use all the links from the kit. I am about to drill holes in the chassis. Sorry I was not faster.
No problem.

I messed with the stock lower links for a few, but these lowers are cheap, adjustable, stronger then stock and require no mods.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #17
MODERHATER™

One thing I have noticed on the Axials, when flexing and climbing the rear seems to walk forward and it looks as though it has rear steer, does your setup eliminate that?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Brad your chassis seems to fit the bill perfect for these axles.I have always wanted a black sw3 to build on these axles.Would big bores be too short for your chassis?Any decisions on running a 4-link instead of the 3-link? As far as shocks go I run the big bores on a stock scorp chassis out of the box.Those shocks lowered it about 1/2 in on the box chassis.All my links sit paralell to the chassis when you get a chance some pics with motor battery etc installed to see where the links rest. I also run a 11.1 lipo on the upper links behind the servo 1250 mah.You probably seen my rig at horsetooth at the last summer comp. the white toy
sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #19
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
One thing I have noticed on the Axials, when flexing and climbing the rear seems to walk forward and it looks as though it has rear steer, does your setup eliminate that?
Yeah, this set-up helps prevent the rear hanging tire from driving underneath the rig. I limited the travel on the shocks by quite a bit. I think this link/shock set-up will work awesome in the rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth View Post
Brad your chassis seems to fit the bill perfect for these axles.I have always wanted a black sw3 to build on these axles.Would big bores be too short for your chassis?Any decisions on running a 4-link instead of the 3-link? As far as shocks go I run the big bores on a stock scorp chassis out of the box.Those shocks lowered it about 1/2 in on the box chassis.All my links sit paralell to the chassis when you get a chance some pics with motor battery etc installed to see where the links rest. I also run a 11.1 lipo on the upper links behind the servo 1250 mah.You probably seen my rig at horsetooth at the last summer comp. the white toy
I limited the Axial shocks to be about the same length as a standard 100mm shock. So, big bores should work good. I'm going to try using the stock upper Y link and see how works before trying anything 4 linked. I remember you test running the finals super course with your 2.2 comp rig, it seemed to work great.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Too schweet! Keep it clean B!
NinJato is offline   Reply With Quote