Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 75t vs. 55t

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #1

Default 75t vs. 55t

I have a 75turn lathe motor on my scorpion right now. I am new to crawling as this is my first crawler and i have to admit i have never even seen another rc crawler in action in person. I feel like my crawler does great but like i said i have nothing to compare it to. i am going thru the what if i change this, mindset and am wondering if having more wheelspeed will give me a much greater advantage.i have been doin the 1:1 thing for several years and slower is better on the rocks in that way but i am wondering if my 75 turn is to slow for crawling. I have a 55turn that is on order but i wanted to know if it was worht the time it put it on and solder everythign back up. like i said im happy with my 75 turn, which i only got because thats all my LHS had in stock other than fast stuff, and am just pondering if the extra wheel speed will truely be a advantage that im missing out on. there are certain times when i just have it pinned for what seems a while on dirt hill climbs and rocks covered in dirt with the tires just digging and im wondering if having more wheel speed will get me over it better. on the rocks with no dirt it seems great to have the torque. so im wondering how much of a difference is there between my 75turn and my 55turn thats on its way. will i really feel its effects? also my truck is pretty heavy so having the torque is good to have. thanks for the help
tacoma87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i run 65t on my comp rigs for my clod and my ax-10 and run a 45t on my hill climb rig. It didnt notice to big of a diffrence between the 65t and 55t in speed but you will notice more diffrence if you add anther cell to your battery.
rockcrawler_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #3

im running a stick battery a venom 3000 nimh which i guess is a 6 cell? so i probably wont be able to tell much of a difference between the two. right now wide open it moves maybe a little less than walking speed. So whats a 55turn run?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma87 View Post
im running a stick battery a venom 3000 nimh which i guess is a 6 cell? so i probably wont be able to tell much of a difference between the two. right now wide open it moves maybe a little less than walking speed. So whats a 55turn run?
I run a stock 27t with a 12 tooth pinion and it has the wheelspeed when I need it to get out of things. I have a 40t bearing motor coming that should have both torque and wheelspeed for my stick packs.

Last edited by Cheatin; 10-22-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added to post
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have a 45T on mine and I have plenty of wheel speed and still have enough torque to snap the stock drive shafts.
quads4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I just put in a 65t from a 45t because I thought the 45t had to much wheel speed. I could tell the difference between the two. And I like the 65t alot better. my2cents
glenn
ggooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

We run an Itegy 60t with a 90 tooth spur and 14 tooth pinnon and agree about the wheel speed thing sometimes needing a little more umph. But... speed breaks faster than torque and this motor breaks enough as it is. I'm thinking the best solution would be to run Li-po's in 11.1 volts but some how limit the throtle cut in to about 40% of full throw then run a full 100% spike to give a good jump.
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:42 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Default 75t vs 55t

i have a 75t ,my son has a 55t. his is faster in straight lines but mine goes really slow and my battery lasts longer than his.our trucks are otherwise identical.
colonelangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:47 AM   #9

thats great to have both side by side comparison....i know mine is slower and my battery last forever but how much faster is the 55 than the 75. im looking for maybe a bit more wheel speed but im not sure if its going to help or not on some of hte climbs. is there ever a case when your sons 55t was able to go up something ur 75t couldnt because his had a little more wheel speed and was able to dig up the obstacle instead of dig down into it? kinda a vague question but driving both which are you more happy with? thanks for everyones replies thus far and helping a newbie out....
Old 10-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma87 View Post
thats great to have both side by side comparison....i know mine is slower and my battery last forever but how much faster is the 55 than the 75. im looking for maybe a bit more wheel speed but im not sure if its going to help or not on some of hte climbs. is there ever a case when your sons 55t was able to go up something ur 75t couldnt because his had a little more wheel speed and was able to dig up the obstacle instead of dig down into it? kinda a vague question but driving both which are you more happy with? thanks for everyones replies thus far and helping a newbie out....
I've used 45, 55 and 65 turn motos and have now found what I think is the best combo for slow crawlin and the big burst of power to make that big steap hill - 35 turn and 3 cell lipo - I'm getting 40+ minute run time out of a 1100mh lipo.
I've only replaced the rear drive shaft with a pede one. The other day I went out and abused the rig for 4 strait hours and never broke a thing (and I'm not going easy on it either)
The_Green_Mennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #11

i started out with a 75t and liked the torque and slow crawling capabilities, but i also picked up a 55t afterwards because i didn't have enough wheel speed to tackle certain obstacles. i actually prefer the 55t due to the increased wheel speed. i run a novak rooster crawler esc and it gives me the ability to crawl extremely slow. as for the run time, i get well over an hour using a 6 cell venom 3300 mah battery. give it a shot...soldering ain't all that bad...
tunis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I run and Axiom 50t with the stock gearing. I have a venom 3300 mah battery and get around 2hrs of run time. The 50t has plenty of torque and great wheel speed. My buddy has a 55t and is wanting to get a 50 or 45t now.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I've got a standard 55t lathe motor/R2 combo and Mamba Max with 11.1v LiPo's.

For the first time, I am 100% satisifed with my wheelspeed and low speed torque and control.

Everything else I tried was either too slow, or too jumpy or weak at low speed. Haven't run it enough to gauge runtime, that comes next.
ComingApart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I ran a 55t axiom with 3cell lipo. A very good combo of insane wheelspeed and torque. I would have liked a bit lower gearing or a 75t though, as the wheelspeed was almost excessive. For 6 cell nimh a 55t is my favorite choice.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

If you want something a bit smoother through out the power band but with plenty of torque, try our new motor out, its on special as well

http://www.axiommotors.com/hand-woun...tor-p-411.html
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #16

I tried to run my P2K2 Pro 27t out of my HPI, it didn't work to well. Borrowed a 45t lathe from a buddy and loved it. Just got my hot orange 75t last night, what a difference! Low speed, lots of tq and great control! Love it! Especially since it was only $20.

IHeardARuckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #17

i have been runnin my 75t for a little hwile now and still like the low speed torque but as mentioned by a few i should up the volatge to get more wheel speed. i am now looking to do so but am no expert on batteries. whats the best way for me to up the voltage from 7.2 to 11.1 or so. i know lipo is the way to go but how can i do it most cost effectively because im still on a tight budget. are there any Nimh batteries making 11.1V so i dont have to buy a new charger? also a thought i have done a bit of searching on is can the tekin rebel 2 stand up to that voltage. some say they do it with no problems and others say its to much for taht esc. any input would be great and soem links would be helpful as well.
Thanks
Ben
Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #18

A 9 cell pack would get your wheelspeed back up.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #19

i see the 9 cell on ur site thats a 1500mah but how long of run would i get out of that?
thanks
Old 11-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #20

A pretty long time on a 75t motor, I would get about 45 minutes. It depends on your throttle finger and your gearing.