Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: scorpion Ax10 REQUIRES!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #21

I guess the revs the motor is doing doesn't give it too hard a time so a brushed motor should perform well and last a long time, even when it's worn I don't think it would affect performance too much, maybe run time would be the first thing you'd notice.

Is it as smooth with a brushed motor as it is in our video with the Goat Brushless fitted?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF8bw2kxXSY
Dez82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82 View Post
We ran the Novak Goat with a 1500mAh lipo (weighs nothing and can be positioned virtually anywhere) and it gave us over half an hour of run time whilst making out video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF8bw2kxXSY

Had a great laugh, more than enough play time, but we took two packs anyway - as you do !

I too have tried the tower pro servos and two of them (rear wheel steering as well) now grace my AX10 Scorpion, they are cheap indeed but cope with everything, but I have fitted servo savers too, to be kind, they can cost you control in a tight spot, you can't wrench the wheels round when trapped between rocks cos the servo saver gives it away, but that's better than ripping gears out all the time.

If you have a two channel radio be sure and get a Y lead for the servos (if rear wheel steering) but if you go for a three channel radio with mixing you can do all the funky stuff you see the wheels doing in the above vid, steering together, steering opposite, even steering just the rear wheels with the third channel button, what a hoot !
where can i get the servo savers that you use? can you give me a link?
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #23
Who's your Daddy-0!

I'm running the Rooster Crawler set up with the 55-50 on two Venom 1600ma packs that I had split into two four packs with a Jr DS8711 servo and a DX2.0. Also had to run a Castle BEC for the 8711. This setup has been a work horse for me. You can get all of this and not get hit to hard in the wallet ( the JR8711 will cost you a few bucks but well worth it). I'm getting crazy run times! I ran all 3 courses at the 2008 East Coast Champ. without a recharge then Jason in Augusta (JIA) ran it 2 courses after that! All in all I can get about 50 min on NiM packs! Not to shabby.....Oh yea all thats on a Edge setup, so its heavy!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #24

ESC = Novak Rooster Crawler
Servo = Hitec HS 645 MG
Radio = JR
Motor = Integy 75T
Battery = Standard 3000 mAh Stick Pack
Charger = Duratrax Intel Peak

I did not relocate battery as I do a lot of mud'n. That is why I use standard stick pack.

Last edited by Hit_The_Dirt!; 04-27-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Hit_The_Dirt! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

thread
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I'm about to replace my txt axles on my 2.2 rig with axials but does the axle set include aluminum hexes? so i can order everything at once
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #27

The great thing about crawling is you don't need the most expensive stuff in it to have a great time.

I'm using a $30 ESC (speed control), a $20 55 turn lathe motor and a $13 1200mah 2/3a battery pack. (45-60 minutes of run time in my AX10)

You don't need $650 worth of stuff unless you are competing at the highest levels. And I bet the best crawlers will tell you it dose not buy you anything more than hours of practice (fun) will.
bobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

hey y'all,

just wanted input/advice or whatever......
got my ax10kit...now have questions on electronics(compatibility, performance,etc.)

this is what I plan on using:
ESC- Novak Rooster
MOTOR-Novak 55t(in pkg with rooster)
BATT-split 6 cell 1500mah NiMH(tamiya connector)
SERVO-CKRC Wiggle with CKRC aluminum servo arm, and CKRC axle plates(gonna use velcro straps to mount battery)
RADIO-TX Spektrum DX3
(1) RX Spektrum sr3000(buying tx and rx together....comes with 2 servos but dont think Ill use them.....)

1) Some spektrum dx3 kits come with 2 recievers.....to run DIG in the future I will still only need one reciever, correct?

2) is everything that I plan on using is compatible with eachother?

3) will I need to solder anything?

any suggestions are appreciated
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaricboye View Post
hey y'all,

just wanted input/advice or whatever......
got my ax10kit...now have questions on electronics(compatibility, performance,etc.)

this is what I plan on using:
ESC- Novak Rooster
MOTOR-Novak 55t(in pkg with rooster)
BATT-split 6 cell 1500mah NiMH(tamiya connector)
SERVO-CKRC Wiggle with CKRC aluminum servo arm, and CKRC axle plates(gonna use velcro straps to mount battery)
RADIO-TX Spektrum DX3
(1) RX Spektrum sr3000(buying tx and rx together....comes with 2 servos but dont think Ill use them.....)

1) Some spektrum dx3 kits come with 2 recievers.....to run DIG in the future I will still only need one reciever, correct?

2) is everything that I plan on using is compatible with eachother?

3) will I need to solder anything?

any suggestions are appreciated
1) You can use the 3 channel Rx for dig, yes

2) It looks like everything is compatible

3) You might have to solder on motor/esc connectors, don't know how they come stock. Also, unless you get that split-cell pack pre-made, you'll have to solder that as well.

Looks like a good set-up.
sidewayz6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I should have been here sooner because I had some of the same questions. These guys in this sport are ok in my book always willing to give tips and trick. Thanks
65volkswagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Those it work with any Radio, got 2 stock radios with my MGT 4.6 and HPI firestorm will they work, with the Tekin FXR/55T combo + Hitec 5645MG servo
Haziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #32

Thanks for helping the OP out because it helped me out...makes my decision much easier now.
axl_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:37 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

so i got a question why does everybody always recomend brushed over brushless? is it just the price difference?
Mr. crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. crawl View Post
so i got a question why does everybody always recomend brushed over brushless? is it just the price difference?
Brushed motors offer finer control at slow rpm. This comes in handy when climbing a rope. I would post a pic but for some reason I am not allowed.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Hey everyone I'm new on here but i though i would get into this, I'm running the axial kit w/ spektrum dx 2.0, i don't think ill ever need a dig or rear steer i think it does fine with out it. For a servo im running the high torque one that came in my dx 2.0 kit. mild mod intellispeed esc, 3300venom racing battery. and 75t moter. well thats the basics and that all cost me $600 (rough estimate) maybe 550?
anyways ill have pictures soon
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:15 AM   #36

I have a question about servos...

I have an Airtronics 94358 out of my 1/8 scale buggy would that be enough servo for an AX10 crawler. I will most likely just be crawling with friends on the local scene here in the Cleveland Ohio area FYI.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #37

Default ax10 requires

I actually don't have an AX10 yet, but based on my questions, it doesn't really matter what spped control you have, as long as there is no reverse delay, and it has reverse. For a speed control, metal geared would be good, although metal gears are expensive. The reason I started to look up about rockcrawling is because my Evader ST Pro is junk and is always breaking. The plastic gear servo also broke a lot, and that is with a servo saver. Imagine hitting those gears without a servo saver. For a motor, I think Holmes Hobbies, based on what I see, motors are the best, although some need modifications to the AX10 to fit. I think most other brushed crawler motors are near identical in terms of power and speed. For a hand control, I would go with a Futaba 2PL. It is digital and has many tuning capabilities on it. It came with my Evader and that and the speed control and shocks are about the only good things on the vehicle. If you are planning to go to rear wheel steering, you must get a 3 ch radio, or a y-harness, which turns the one plug in the receiver into two, so two servos can connect. The y-harness is only about 3 to 7 dollars, so it will not break the bank. For batteries, it depends if you want lipo or nimh. I have always used nimh for my vehicles. You could probably get a nice saddle pack from MaxAmps. lipo is expensive compared to nimh and you need a balance and all of that stuff. If you haven't already bought everything you need, I hope this helps. I hope that you do not take my advice as lousy because I am a newbie at rock crawling and don't even have a AX10. I have been using RC cars ever since I can remember and I know a lot about gearing, weight distribution and things like that. Two things that I don't understand well are brushless systems and lipo batteries. It seems that as technology increases, so does the difficulty to handle the technology.
piper92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #38

Question IS this list compatable?

Ax10 Kit

1. Novak Rooster Crawler ESC & Novak 55t motor (combo)
2. Hitec servo #HS-5645MG
3. Radio: Futaba 3PM 3-Chan FM
4. 7.2v Stick Pack ????

A. Do I need a real-axial lock bar?
B. Do I need anything else?
Cherokee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #39

spend the money for a servo with more power than you need. The servo I am running now only has about 130oz. of force which doesn't always cut it. I run an Integy 75 turn motor which does a great job, but I could use a little more wheel speed occasionally.
ohsoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #40

you can buy any 2 channel radio with the receiver for around 75-100 bucks . buy the novak rooster crawler combo with motor for 100 bucks or so thats the electronic speed control with drag brake and a 55 turn motor for rock crawling , hitec 645mg steering servo its 30 bucks and works pretty good.and buy a set of saddle battery packs and mounting plates you can get all this stuff from the crawler store TCScrawlers.com good luck and have fun hope this info helped a little money talks but this is a great starting point for ya for performance and budget
newbcrwlr76 is offline   Reply With Quote