RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   Axials Scorpion Pinion and Spur Options (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/92530-axials-scorpion-pinion-spur-options.html)

BGGruff 11-18-2007 12:21 PM

Axials Scorpion Pinion and Spur Options

Does anyone have the inside scoop on when Axial is going to release lower tooth pinions and different tooth spurs. I mean aren't we supposed to have as much as a 75:1 ratio option?

jmizoguchi 11-18-2007 12:30 PM

why wait.. when you can just buy the parts at hobby shop or online...

TunaMaxx 11-18-2007 01:02 PM

The chart in the instructions I have show ratios as low as 73.85:1 but there is no way you'll physically be able to get those components mounted.

A 90t spur is about big as you're gonna fit. Any bigger than that and the spur begins to hit the output shaft. On the motor, a 10t pinion is about as small as you'd want to use. That gives a 69.23:1 ratio, which is really steep in the Scorpion.

toyofast 11-18-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TunaMaxx (Post 927028)
A 90t spur is about big as you're gonna fit. Any bigger than that and the spur begins to hit the output shaft. On the motor, a 10t pinion is about as small as you'd want to use. That gives a 69.23:1 ratio, which is really steep in the Scorpion.

What 90 tooth spur did you try? Brand? Not all manufactures creat the same exact parts. I have spurs and pinions from a wide variety of manufactures and everything is slightly different. My 87 tooth(48 pitch) spur from one manufacture is much larger than one from another manufacture I have. So your information may or may not be fully correct.

TunaMaxx 11-18-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyofast (Post 927138)
What 90 tooth spur did you try? Brand?

I have been using Kimbrough spurs. Apparently, with the right driveshaft yoke (I don't know the specifics) a 93t Kimbrough will just barely squeak by.

Quote:

I have spurs and pinions from a wide variety of manufactures and everything is slightly different. My 87 tooth(48 pitch) spur from one manufacture is much larger than one from another manufacture I have. So your information may or may not be fully correct.

Here's what I know: From physically bolting up various size spurs, the 90t is the largest I could comfortably fit in my otherwise stock trans Scorpion setup.

I also know this: Diametral Pitch ÷ Teeth = Pitch Diameter

Example: 87 / 48 = 1.8125

So, an 48 pitch spur with 87 teeth will be 1.8125 inches in pitch diameter (not overall diameter -- that will be slightly larger), regardless of who made it. If you have two 87t spurs from two manufacturers, and they aren't (within a very small tolerance) the same diameter? Then one of two things true:

1) The number of teeth is wrong, count them again. ;-)
2) One or both of the gears is/aren't 48 pitch.

BGGruff 11-18-2007 06:08 PM

Thanks guys! I was just curious mainly b/c I enjoy the smoothness of the Axial Spur pinion combo...it's very quiet. I put a 13T Robinson Racing pinion in the thing and it sounded like a damn grinder or a wood chipper. I really appreciate the input fellas!"thumbsup"

DUDE 11-18-2007 08:25 PM

Quote:

What 90 tooth spur did you try? Brand? Not all manufactures creat the same exact parts. I have spurs and pinions from a wide variety of manufactures and everything is slightly different. My 87 tooth(48 pitch) spur from one manufacture is much larger than one from another manufacture I have. So your information may or may not be fully correct.

are you talking tamiya spurs?? I think they are a metric pitch.

toyofast 11-18-2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUDE (Post 927599)
are you talking tamiya spurs?? I think they are a metric pitch.

No... I know about Tamiya and their gearing in some of ther cars.

Crispychiknhead 11-19-2007 12:35 AM

i went with robinson racing pinions. AWSOME! "thumbsup"