Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: softer springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
Does anyone have any input yet with the softer axial springs yet or will I just have to pick up a set of the reds and see for myself? I'm not sure if I'm wanting super soft (red) or if medium (green) would do. I was hoping to hear some feedback first.

As it's sitting, the stock springs (super firm/blue), even without oil in my shocks...are way too stiff for my liking.

I've tried some uncut HPI springs (too long), and I honestly don't really like how they sit (They're .4 mm wider in diameter and 24?mm longer).
I tried running them. the problem with softer springs is that it makes the torque twist really bad with the stock link geometry. They are nice and soft and would work well if you did the the mods to put the lower links on the inside of the chassis and on the outside of the mounts on the axle end. That's the reason why the SW3 chassis works well as the other comp mods to the stock chassis/skidplate, the link geometry is improved and minimizes the torque twist. This lets you climb without pulling tires and keeps everything planted better in general.

That being said with the stock set up and super softs my truck was useless.

With the stock set up the stiff springs keep the shocks at full extention and when you put the spacers in it hides or masks the torque twist. If you're gonna do something change bring the frame side lower links closer together and the axle side lower links further appart.

That's my two bits.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #22

Good info, Thanks Scorpio & miller.
Teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #23

I am 100% new to rc world but trying to get into it. I own 2 fullsize crawling jeeps and want something I can actually play with at my house so I will go rc. Anyways I took the stock springs off as they were to stiff for me and purchased a few sets to try things. I ended up running a dual rate setup with a medium rate longer spring and a super soft short spring works pretty well.
ryde307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #24
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
Does anyone have any input yet with the softer axial springs yet
Firm Springs?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote