Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: traxxas big bores direct fit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #1

Default traxxas big bores direct fit?

are the traxxas big bores a direct fit or do i have to mod them in some way? if they arnt what other shocks are a direct fit? thanx
justintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Traxxas shocks fit nice on the Axials . here you can see a set on my little girls . I use some fuel tubing ( for nitro R/C) to put thru the shockend to keep them from being loose and binding .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 AM   #3

do you have to put fuel tubing on the shock caps? dose the fuel tubing go over the flanged ball or replace it? and is there any type of adjustmaent to the suspention needed like changing shock holes?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:21 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
do you have to put fuel tubing on the shock caps? dose the fuel tubing go over the flanged ball or replace it? and is there any type of adjustmaent to the suspention needed like changing shock holes?
You can just replace the flanged ball with a short length of tube, and push it into the shock cap, then push the M3 thru it. Make sure the shock swings freely.
motormad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
You can just replace the flanged ball with a short length of tube, and push it into the shock cap, then push the M3 thru it. Make sure the shock swings freely.

so other then that they fit fine and dont need to adjust the suspention at all
Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The big bores are shorter the the stock axial shocks. A little too short IMO for the stock chassis. If you use big bores w/ axial shafts it helps some. For the stock chassis, the stock shocks w/ some fuel tubing inside work the best IMO.
stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default what do you think?

In my opinion the axial shocks are too long, well not necessarily too long but too much travel. i would think the traxxas shocks would work well, give or take spring rate and the weight of your rig. Maybe they would have to be mounted in a different place than the axials or put them on a slight angle. It's something to experiment with. i by far am no expert on this and i haven't tried them myself to have a honest opinion. i was just reading the post and figured i'd add my 2 cents.
Stick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Not big bores, but the same lenght. I am running full droop on them now. I used the Axial shafts in them and then made a bracket to lower them.

clemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I put a set of big bores on the other day. They are a lot shorter than the stockers as mentioned before. What I did to mount them is to use the plastic mounts and washers the big bores come with mixed with the stock parts. So a top view would look like this:

chassis>thin plastic washer/spacer> shock with plastic mount> long green chassis brace> stock green spacer> shock with plastic mount> thin plastic washer/spacer> chassis
ky_18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #10

Lightbulb

Here's my Traxxas Big Bores with modified upper cap. Ball link end added to top cap just like the lower cap (like the stock Axial shocks have on upper/lower).

moonweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:12 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I did some testing with the Maxx shocks . I do think they hurt my Daugther's rig on big break overs, lowered the COG though . I'm thinkin of make a drop down bracket to mount them about 5/16" lower . I lost just over 1/2 ground clearance . so by droppin' the top of the shocks down 5/16" I will get half of clearance back . The maxx shocks are much smother . so over all I would say it is worth the swap .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote