RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   Feedback on Ax tranny (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/94499-feedback-ax-tranny.html)

toy4crawlin 12-03-2007 04:59 PM

Feedback on Ax tranny

How well built are these trannies ?

Are they plastic or metal gears ?
strong, unbreakable?

How do you like the gearing ?

Do they last with brushless outrunners?

I asked this question to Axial but al I was given was a link to there products page :roll:

Thanks

chrisjlittle 12-03-2007 06:58 PM

Very nice trans...Some of the gears are plastic, others are metal. Very compact, and I haven't broken it yet, but I run a brushed motor and tend to use finesse to get over stuff rather than speed. For 35 bucks, it's pretty darn hard to beat.

toy4crawlin 12-04-2007 12:08 PM

Is there a good amount of gear surface contact that it would hold up to an outrunner?

gear width?

Top gear metal ?
middle is plastic/composite
Big bottom gear is metal ?

dittohead 12-04-2007 06:50 PM

I dont like the amount of flex in the motor plate. The trans seems pretty decent but i wont be able to really test it until the spring time. I like it enough to put it in place of a pede trans in my comp rig, mostly because of size and weight reasons. I agree with chrisjlittle, they are too cheap not to use.;-)

Matt.k 12-04-2007 08:14 PM

I have been running the Novak Goat system in mine and haven't had any issues with breakage. I have been running the same transmission since I originally started pre-production testing last May, with the intent to try and break things, so far I haven't replaced any parts on the transmission.

the top gear is metal, the other two are plastic. The gear backlash was set as tight as we could get it in order to make sure that we had as much surface area contact as possible. Gear width is a little under 9mm.

Thanks,
Axial

Kamikaze 12-04-2007 08:19 PM

I have a 6 oz outrunner with a 3 cell lipo in mine and it hasn't even flinched.

KING BLING 12-04-2007 08:28 PM

i sell alot of axial part. to this day i have not shipped 1 axial tranny part.

they are tough and well designed.

Stormin2u 12-04-2007 08:34 PM

Now that's some testimony to durability. I have one and it is so smooth and quiet make a brand new ped sound like an old washing machine. Not to mention size, weight and price.

toy4crawlin 12-05-2007 12:39 PM

Sounds secure guys thanks

Watched the build up , not to shaby

tranny pic

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...1&d=1185962423

NaZ-T 12-05-2007 01:03 PM

The Axial trans is the best on the market IMO I have sold a few gear sets though but only 1 guy that I know has stripped gears and he was trying to break it. The others were just spares for their tool box. I also love the gear ratio, it is spot on for crawling IMO

The 1 thing I don't like about the Axial trans is the spacing on the spur gear it is hard to get the pinion to line up right. You can fix this by putting some washers behind the spur to space it out a bit further. I think the spur gear adapter could have been made a bit different so solve this though. That being said I still would by the axial over any other option.

chrisjlittle 12-05-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaZ-T (Post 950470)
The 1 thing I don't like about the Axial trans is the spacing on the spur gear it is hard to get the pinion to line up right. You can fix this by putting some washers behind the spur to space it out a bit further. I think the spur gear adapter could have been made a bit different so solve this though. That being said I still would by the axial over any other option.

The only other beef is the wierd spur bolt pattern. Hard to find any alternative gears. Hey vendors: how bout someone starts making a new spur adaptor that spaces the spur out farther for more pinion options, and a more standard bolt pattern? I'm sure there will be interest for this

JUSTGOINGSLOW 12-05-2007 02:24 PM

Kimbrough 8-hole spurs fit the axial trannys

NaZ-T 12-05-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW (Post 950560)
Kimbrough 8-hole spurs fit the axial trannys

Yep Kimbrough spurs fit perfect "thumbsup"

toy4crawlin 12-05-2007 05:57 PM

Great feedback

Just ordered me one from TCS crawler store . gota be better than a rc4wd tranny,
Broke it in less than 15 feet, not even crawling ( Mamba x with BM16 8 cell) . 2 days still waiting for them to respond if they will replace with a heavy duty or not :roll::x

toy4crawlin 12-13-2007 02:22 PM

Here's my feedback:
Well so far It holds up to my super and my BM16 with 8 cells
I tested it in the garage with a 32 pitch 48 spur and 20 pinion
had the tires spinning, holds up to my heavy brake
nice little unit

Dickie691986 12-13-2007 02:53 PM

Very compact, and I haven't broken it yet and I run the crawlmaster 3014 brushless outrunner

JohnRobHolmes 12-13-2007 03:09 PM

I have beat on mine with a crawlmaster on 3s, and a 5t Cobalt Puller on 3s. Still butter smooth. I also do not like the flex of the motor mount, but I haven't stripped or skipped any teeth on the spur yet.

_BEN_ 12-13-2007 03:15 PM

From a builders perspective.
~The tansmission is indeed compact so it will mount up easily in tight spots. All you need is four holes and a flat surface. Very simple.
~You can reverse the input shaft. So you can have the motor facing backwards, forwards and also on the left or right side of your chassis for better weight distribution.
~The only real problem I have had with this is compatibility. You can not run a fat driveshaft (Revo) with this tranny. It won't clear the spur unless you run a small one sacrificing gear reduction.
~If you have a wide skid plate you may incounter clearance issues with the driveshafts because the transmission is only about 1.5" from one end of the outputshaft to the other.

toy4crawlin 12-13-2007 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by _BEN_ (Post 962267)
From a builders perspective.
~The tansmission is indeed compact so it will mount up easily in tight spots. All you need is four holes and a flat surface. Very simple.
~You can reverse the input shaft. So you can have the motor facing backwards, forwards and also on the left or right side of your chassis for better weight distribution.
~The only real problem I have had with this is compatibility. You can not run a fat driveshaft (Revo) with this tranny. It won't clear the spur unless you run a small one sacrificing gear reduction.
~If you have a wide skid plate you may incounter clearance issues with the driveshafts because the transmission is only about 1.5" from one end of the outputshaft to the other.

Oh Contrare :):arrow:

This pic with REVO Shaft is a 66t 32pitch Spur, it just barley rubs, I'm sure you can fit a 87t 48 pitch, gonna pick one up tonight.
you just need a rc4wd adaptor "thumbsup"

_BEN_ 12-13-2007 08:53 PM

That looks like it will help if you have a wide skid plate too.
How much are those parts I looked and could not find them on the site. .

It probably will clear a 48p 87t spur.