Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Stretched ax-10 to 15" and a question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Stretched ax-10 to 15" and a question.

Thought I'd start a new thread on this for anyone that searches. I don't have any comps where I am and will be getting somre rockstompers which are huge and didn't want the extra size to hurt my climbing...I also wanted a bit more wheelbase anyways with the stock tires. I'm real happy with how it's turning out.

I drilled some new holes but desided to leave the front setup stock and just lengthen the rear to offset the weight distrubution.

Links all done;

Template for the mounts they're made from 1/8 aluminum.

And done stretched to 15" should be pretty good when the rockstompers arrive.

The question I had was what shaft can I use? I was gonna buy a stock one and cut it up but if there's something that will work please let me know. The gap is two inches so I'm guessing I need a 3" longer shaft over stock, what are my options?

miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
ghetto fabulous newbie

buy a pede half shaft pro pack traxxas #1953 cut the male off gule it in the female and then glue another female on it? the pro pack come with 10 driveshafts.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nice to see you do the pics and try something new.

Good luck getting a drive shaft that long that wont twist up.

Looks good though.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

So do you think the best bet would be to cut up another stock shaft to make a longer one? I was kinda wondering if there's anything off the shelf that'll be the right length...if it's gonna be a cut up one then I'll use a stocker. These shafts seem pretty beef and I haven't had any problems with them...yet .

And this is the new body that will be on it. The rockwerks toyota body

Old 12-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Personally shorten the wheelbase to fit the body...

If you don't want to to do that, the shaft problem why not make an output adapter to lengthen the tranny output out a few inches. Basically easy and cheap to do. All you need is a female adapter and a male to extend the tranny shaft out further towards the back.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default think 1:1 yota

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
So do you think the best bet would be to cut up another stock shaft to make a longer one? I was kinda wondering if there's anything off the shelf that'll be the right length...if it's gonna be a cut up one then I'll use a stocker. These shafts seem pretty beef and I haven't had any problems with them...yet .

And this is the new body that will be on it. The rockwerks toyota body

first off, I applaude (sp?) your attempt to try something new and i love the body . that body will have to do until we can get ourselves some 2nd gen lexan cabs and fab flatbeds just like our 1:1 toys. personally i dont like the idea of such a long wheelbase for many reasons like: HIGH CENTERING!!! but if you really want to do this, how about this:

think about a stock front driveshaft on a 85 yota.
u joint - splines -tube -u joint
maybe you can apply the same theory to the stock ax10 shafts
just cut the u joint end off of the female half of the driveshaft and add a tube that will lengthen to where you want. just like lenthening a yota front driveshaft when you add a second t- case

What do you think???!!!
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Personally shorten the wheelbase to fit the body...

If you don't want to to do that, the shaft problem why not make an output adapter to lengthen the tranny output out a few inches. Basically easy and cheap to do. All you need is a female adapter and a male to extend the tranny shaft out further towards the back.
The body will have to get chopped up. I can't shorten it because that would defeat my purpose .

Thanks for that idea, just to clearify do you mean to make an adaptor to lengthen the little metal tranny output? If that's the case will my lhs have them? If your saying cut up a stock shaft to make the adaptor then that's where I was headed.

Rockstompers shipped today.

Last edited by miller; 12-04-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
first off, I applaude (sp?) your attempt to try something new and i love the body . that body will have to do until we can get ourselves some 2nd gen lexan cabs and fab flatbeds just like our 1:1 toys. personally i dont like the idea of such a long wheelbase for many reasons like: HIGH CENTERING!!! but if you really want to do this, how about this:

think about a stock front driveshaft on a 85 yota.
u joint - splines -tube -u joint
maybe you can apply the same theory to the stock ax10 shafts
just cut the u joint end off of the female half of the driveshaft and add a tube that will lengthen to where you want. just like lenthening a yota front driveshaft when you add a second t- case

What do you think???!!!
That's a great idea...the only problem is I can't weld it together lol and don't think epoxy will hold it from spinning but that just gave me a new idea ....in true toyota fashion I think I'm gonna cut my front shaft and make a square front shaft and use the male and female ends of the stock shaft to lengthen the rear.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thats pretty awesome. I would get bigger tires.
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for that idea, just to clearify do you mean to make an adaptor to lengthen the little metal tranny output? If that's the case will my lhs have them? If your saying cut up a stock shaft to make the adaptor then that's where I was headed.
Nope what you need to do is make the shaft coming out of the trans longer...
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Jusy use traxxas 2.5 tmaxx shafts, they should be long enough. And your bent links are on backwards.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Jusy use traxxas 2.5 tmaxx shafts, they should be long enough. And your bent links are on backwards.
it looks like he bent them in the middle...

miller, my vote is for revo shafts. maxx 2.5's would probably be fine too.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan View Post
it looks like he bent them in the middle...
Look at the fronts. The fronts are on backwards.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
Look at the fronts. The fronts are on backwards.
oh haha. that super long rear end is distracting. i didn't notice anything in the front.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default hell yeah!!!

Quote:
That's a great idea...the only problem is I can't weld it together lol and don't think epoxy will hold it from spinning but that just gave me a new idea ....in true toyota fashion I think I'm gonna cut my front shaft and make a square front shaft and use the male and female ends of the stock shaft to lengthen the rear.

NOW THATS IT!!!!! i like the way you're thinking!!! thats what i love about this forum. pure inspiration. but one question...

how do you evade the same "you cant weld plastic" issues? how do you connect the square shaft to u joints or cv joints or whatever we want to call them? now you have to connect a u joint on each end of the square slip shaft? same issue

what do you say to that
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I would piece together a traxxasrear drive shaft. Use #1951 shafts as long as your going you may ned 2 packs. The stock AX-10 drive shafts are junk the yokes are great but the plastic is to soft The Traxxas shafts are better.
ZUKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Get a peice of 1/2 brass tubing from your lhs. Cut half the female end off and use the tubing to space it out to the length u need. heres a pic of one I made for a super build. and a quick diagram.
Name:  100_1057.JPG
Views: 847
Size:  86.4 KB

Name:  driveshaft.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  17.9 KB
derwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:30 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Crap derwood21 if only you posted a tiny bit earlier....I cut up my front shaft to piece together a longer shaft and it looks ghetto...that's a wicked idea and looks good and is beef...hmmm looks like I'll have to order up some new shafts . Thanks for taking the time to make a diagram.

Thanks everyone for the input

Last edited by miller; 12-05-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:31 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
NOW THATS IT!!!!! i like the way you're thinking!!! thats what i love about this forum. pure inspiration. but one question...

how do you evade the same "you cant weld plastic" issues? how do you connect the square shaft to u joints or cv joints or whatever we want to call them? now you have to connect a u joint on each end of the square slip shaft? same issue

what do you say to that
Lol I guess I cant avoid it that's why I'm gonna do the brass tube trick...essentially the same idea just avoids the glueing by sleeving it..now that I think about it I've seen it done on 1:1 trail rigs too. Looks like it'll work perfect.

Last edited by miller; 12-05-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:24 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

The shaft in the pic was a tmaxx shaft for my super. I lengthened out the rear on one of my ax10s. This is what I did for it and worked great. One thing to make sure of is when you put the pins/screws in to keep it from spinning, Make sure you put them far enough down to make sure the male shaft doesn't bottom out on it.
derwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote