Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Axial's new driveshaft ring (fix)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #1

Question Axial's new driveshaft ring (fix)

When I first got my AX10 I thought Axial would be coming out with a revamped driveshaft to replace the poorly designed ones they currently come with. Instead they came up with an inventive idea of driveshaft rings to fix the problem. I hope they start shipping them as part of the stock kit although I doubt they will. I've chosen to run Traxxas Jato shafts while I wait for a set of RC4WD Punishers to be shipped to me.

Anyone tried the Axial rings yet? I'm just curious how they're working out. Although I've not had an issue with my Jato shafts popping out, I think I'll make a set of rings for them.
moonweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

They have just been released! I don't think many people have been able to get a hold of any yet.

New Products from Axial
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i used one of the narrow shock spacers around the driveshaft, ca glues it in place and it hasnt failed yet . i have even hung up the tires and stalled the motor and so far so good . its good to see axial coming out with something though. im probably gonna change to stampede shafts eventually , ive already picked up the shafts just haven't got the yokes yet. i m basically gonna change anything i can to traxxas just because of the availability of the parts, ive already changed some of my link ends to.
Nitro Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

You guys just don't seem to get the built in weak link theory.

If you had to break something, or a part that would fail, what would you prefer it to be? Because in this hobby, it's guaranteed something will break if you drive the thing past it's limits.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
RCC Addict

What spacer did you use
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post

If you had to break something, or a part that would fail, what would you prefer it to be? Because in this hobby, it's guaranteed something will break if you drive the thing past it's limits.

i do get the whole weak link theory , thats why i didnt just go buy punisher shafts . This weak link was way to weak lol it seemed like if you looked at that front driveshaft wrong it would pop off.

Going slow , i used the thin shock spacer , put where the driveshaft pops on and off the yoke . the spacer fits perfect once you get it in place where you want just put a couple drops of ca to hold it in place. All this does id keep the 2 plastic tabs on the end of the driveshaft from being able to spread and pop off the yoke. im sure if you beat on it it will still pop off , which is a good thing.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I cant beleive this is even being made. We been using rings on our shafts for a good year now. Made the end strong enough the shafts would twist off. We used brass rings from the hardware store and a drop of CA We have also use 17mm hex nuts which thread right on the shafts. Just for clarification we did this on Pede shafts.

rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Thanks Herb It just dawn on me what you where talking about on your last post. do they hold up pretty good And i think It would not hurt to shrink tube them either
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thats the best Tech statement on driveshafts posted EVER.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You leave a wise crack comment all the time yet never offered the user help. Especially when the wise crack comment isn't correct.

If you don't want to help newbies or people below your level, don't click the "Submit Reply" button.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

I just read somewhere that it's better to be a smart ass, than a dumb ass.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I'm just saying......
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #13
MODERATOR™

I would have zero posts then... :-(
Old 12-05-2007, 10:51 PM   #14

I don't get the weak link theory??? Stupid joey......LOL
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:10 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Axial never should have built a crawler..... things break when you abuse it.

I like to think about the days when I use copper tubing to build my own drivelines, awwww... 2004 was a good year to know how to BUILD a crawler.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #16

Eeepee's words on the weak link is sound advice. In all my years of running nitros and much less time running electrics, I've never broke a driveshaft until now. -This is a good cheap area to fix. I've always held the same thinking regarding metal spur gears on offroad rc's. Anyways...

I saw in another thread where Toyofast said: "Only people that have driveline issues are those that run them at the stock/jacked up height. Suck that suspension down. Stick fuel tubbing on the inside of the shocks to get it lower and still some on the outside part too. Run 80-100wt oil and retry. Once you get it lower, that driveline issue will go away."

I hate to contradict him (since we've already duked it out a once this week) but I've had driveshaft problems since day one and I've never run the stock height ever. Out of the box I put spacers in my shocks to lower the truck. I switched out to modified Traxxas Big Bores real quick, lowering the tuck even more, and continued breaking driveshafts. No problems at all since I switched to the Jato shafts.

Here's a not current photo of where my ride height was (even lower now) and yes I know the bent links were on backwards from the direction everyone else runs them.
moonweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

can you post up a few picks of the Jato shafts and how they fit with the kit parts?
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Here's a not current photo of where my ride height was (even lower now) and yes I know the bent links were on backwards from the direction everyone else runs them.
[/quote]
im glad you mentioned the fact that know your links are backwards, that could have caused some good name calling and arguing on this forum .LMAO Good looking clean rig man!!!! Are those bent links a little different shade of green than the axial ones? If so i thnk i have the same links to they are kind of mossy green looking.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
You leave a wise crack comment all the time yet never offered the user help. Especially when the wise crack comment isn't correct.

If you don't want to help newbies or people below your level, don't click the "Submit Reply" button.
I think I remember that exact post!
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I think I remember that exact post!

Yeah, but there is that double standard thing going around.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote