Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Drooped ax-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Drooped ax-10

I just went to droop set up on my ax-10. I am having extreme body roll that is making vert climbs very difficult that i could climb with the springs on the outside of the shocks. I moved the rubber bump stops inside as well as added springs from a pen(found in a thread on here). I only had the stock 30wt. on hand do i need to go heavier shock oil or need to find different internal springs? To combat the roll. It flexes very well nearly 90 degrees from horizontal. Any help is much appreciated.
scrotsbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You are going to need to find the heaviest oil you can find. I think a few in our group are running 10,000 wt diff oil in their droop setup rigs.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

That is a good start I will check into it. I am moving back to Eugene on the 7th of december do you know of any clubs or events down that way??
Old 12-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

heavier springs
i'm still using standard oil and there is no roll at all
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

what springs are good ones to use in a set of big bore maxx shocks?
i have herd that mini T reds work great. Is that true?
Ben06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrotsbiz View Post
That is a good start I will check into it. I am moving back to Eugene on the 7th of december do you know of any clubs or events down that way??

Corvallis and Eugene are like 30 minutes apart. Only known club is ours, ORCRC. Few members in the Eugene/Cottage Grove area but not much activity from them on our board. Most of them are doing lots of rebuilding to their 1:1 rigs right now.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

The Corvallis that you read is in part do to that I was living in Corvallis Montana and am moving back to the willamete valley this weekend. I am to balls deep in getting my 1:1 Toyota back together. i travel a lot for my job so I took up rc crawlin to get my fix for rocks. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrotsbiz View Post
The Corvallis that you read is in part do to that I was living in Corvallis Montana and am moving back to the willamete valley this weekend. I am to balls deep in getting my 1:1 Toyota back together. i travel a lot for my job so I took up rc crawlin to get my fix for rocks. Thanks for the info.

Oh... too many cities with same name.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

As far as yoru springs go I am running pen springs in the rear, and a set from Ace Hardware in the front. They are the one's on the right in the picture. I have my batteries on the front, and a buch of weight in the wheels. Just take your shock with you to the store and see what fits then get a few different rates. I am also only running 30wt shock oil.

clemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Here are a few pics with droop setup. Tell me what you guys think of my truck.
http://public.fotki.com/scrotsbiz/ax.../img00101.html
http://public.fotki.com/scrotsbiz/ax.../img00081.html
http://public.fotki.com/scrotsbiz/ax.../img00051.html

Last edited by scrotsbiz; 12-03-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
You are going to need to find the heaviest oil you can find. I think a few in our group are running 10,000 wt diff oil in their droop setup rigs.
10000wt? are you running pistons? I don't think that the oil would flow fast enough through the little holes for it to even slide in and out, seems like it would take all day for your suspension to do anything.

In response to the original question, run stiffer springs.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Well since the LHS sold me 100,000 weight diff oil instead of 10,000 weight I don't know the answer as of yet I just picked up 7,000 and 10,000 weight. Just in case the 10,000 wont work I will keep everybody posted in how it works. I have about 16 dollars into this setup as I am still using the stock shocks and pistons. With the 100,000 weight it travels it just takes about 20 seconds to cycle the suspension(way to slow). I think the 10,000 will work just fine.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Well I Just put on my losi rock claws and those things are bad ace. I also but the 10,000 weight diff oil in and it helped a bunch. It is still a little slow for my style. I am going to try the 7,000 weight diff oil tomorrow and see how that fares. If I still am not happy I am either going to go the hardware store for new springs or make the holes in the piston just a size bigger and expirment with the diff oil weight again. If that does not work it's time for new shocks. Any suggestions on what kind of shock that works best with a droop setup? The amount of flex and control I have obtained is enough to make me never go back to the springs on the outside again. Any help is much needed.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:21 AM   #15

Im just running 40wt in mine and seems to do ok. Still playing around with weights to see what I like. Internal springs are some I found at ace.

The Woodchuck
dc2drifterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

After messing around with these diffrent setups I went and used the search to try and clear things up for me but ended up more confused. Are you supposed to run the internals under the piston or over?? I have mine on top now. How much of a diffrence does it make under or over?? Could this be the cause of my oil nightmare??:neutral:
Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #17

Mine are under the piston to help suck the chassis down, springs above the piston are trying to push the chassis up.
dc2drifterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I have had mine set up both ways and I decided that I like the clearance that springs above the piston gave me. I ran mine with the spacer inside the shock body to keep it from bottoming out.
ky_18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

If you put the springs on top of the piston, they're doing the same thing as the springs you used to have on the outside of the shocks, they're just much softer.

Droop setups use the spring under the piston typically, but use whatever works for you.

As far as shocks go, I like the Sportwerks Mayhem 1/8th buggy rear shocks. You can find pairs for $27, HERE and they come prebuilt, with 2 sets of springs (if you want to use external springs.)
HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

I also have the spacer on the inside. It does make the belly clearance much better on the top since I am having problems getting hung up on the belly as is. I guess I will continue to mess with springs and oil as well as pistons as I have found some that might work off my old stadium truck.