Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ROOSTER ESC mounting ideas PLease help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default ROOSTER ESC mounting ideas PLease help!!!

Im gonna start my first rc build and would really appreciate ideas, pics, or any feedback on mounting my rooster on the ax10. the battery will be over the front axle like it should be. please include where/how/why

thanks guys

(be gentle, its my first thread posting)
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i mounted my 7.2V stick pack on top of the servo (i had to use a rubber spacer so the battery didnt hit the wheels).
i used the factory battery plate to mount both the Rooster and the reciever (just stuck them on top, they dont weigh much).
instead of using double sided sticky tape, i used stick on velcro so i could remove both when i needed to.
the on off switch i have velcro'd onto the side of the servo.
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default yeah

thats what i was thinking ive seen a lot of creative ideas but that seems like the "safest" location. i just dont know if the esc gets hot, and if so, does that location provide sufficient airflow
Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
thats what i was thinking ive seen a lot of creative ideas but that seems like the "safest" location. i just dont know if the esc gets hot, and if so, does that location provide sufficient airflow
im running the Rooster Crawler ESC, an AXIOM 55t, a cheapo Ebay servo and, TQ3 and a Venom 1800mah and havent had any over heating issues at all.
infact i dont even thing the ESC has even got hot.
so long as you have a shell over the top of them (incase of roll overs) you should be right.
another great tip is to go get yourself 4 M12 nuts and a 12mm drill bit.
drill out the thread of all of the nuts, angle grind MOST of the outside away on one nut (this one will go next to the spur gear) and slip the rest over the drive shaft couplings.
this will stop ALL of those drive shaft popping off issues that are common.
i havent broke anything on mine either since ive used these nuts, even with wheels stuck, a little more throttle and the problem is solved.
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i run the ax-10 with the rooster crawler, spektrum reciever and hitec 985-mg servo. i mount my elite 1500 saddle pack over the front end. then i mount receiver and rooster upside down under the stock battery plate. Never had the esc get hott. and it protects everything when i do killer couch crawling sessions. just an idea for you to think about...
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i put my reciever and esc on top where the bat usualy goes and i put my 6 cell stick pack half on the servo and then the other half is eldp up by a zip tie from the body space it lets it move enough for the links but keeps it nice and low
jwilli2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway View Post
im running the Rooster Crawler ESC, an AXIOM 55t, a cheapo Ebay servo and, TQ3 and a Venom 1800mah and havent had any over heating issues at all.
infact i dont even thing the ESC has even got hot.
so long as you have a shell over the top of them (incase of roll overs) you should be right.
another great tip is to go get yourself 4 M12 nuts and a 12mm drill bit.
drill out the thread of all of the nuts, angle grind MOST of the outside away on one nut (this one will go next to the spur gear) and slip the rest over the drive shaft couplings.
this will stop ALL of those drive shaft popping off issues that are common.
i havent broke anything on mine either since ive used these nuts, even with wheels stuck, a little more throttle and the problem is solved.

yeah, after all the bad stuff i heard about the driveshafts, i ordered the Upgraded HD Drive Shaft and Yoke Kit from ckrc. hopefully that will help.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
i run the ax-10 with the rooster crawler, spektrum reciever and hitec 985-mg servo. i mount my elite 1500 saddle pack over the front end. then i mount receiver and rooster upside down under the stock battery plate. Never had the esc get hott. and it protects everything when i do killer couch crawling sessions. just an idea for you to think about...

thats a great idea too does it all fit ok under there. what did you mount it with
Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Heres how I did mine.

I am going to post the build soon, just need some time to take a few more cool pics.

ZipTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

NICE what is that mounted on? did you fab it? kinda looks like the skidplate
Old 12-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

It is H D Plastic that I got form a friend of mine. I machined it to fit the space and around the servo for the dig. I used the hole that was already in the chassis and drilled 2 more for the front mounting holes. Very secure and Pimp!!! hehe. That whole platform could be lowered 8mm +- for a lower CG but it seems to work just fine. I just wanted to use to factory holes.

Best of luck with what ever you come up with.
ZipTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipTie View Post

Best of luck with what ever you come up with.

thanx for the ideas dude, thats a bad looking rig
Old 12-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I made a similer plate to Ziptie's ,only i use .125 thick alluminum and mounted it at an angle under the rear shock crossbar.I milled some cool looking windows in the plate to reduce the weight.It's down low and the plate stiffens the chassis.When you take the stock battery plate off the chassis flexes alot,flex can be good but I prefer it not to flex.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
RCC Addict

mine fits under the stock battery shelf very well lots of clearence mounted the rooster as far forward as possible with the receiver behind that towards the back. still no heat up issue i use parma servo tape seems to pull off when necassary
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Lexan sheets work well. Cut out for side of chassis or upper-links drill holes and either bolt or zip-tie them down. That's what i'm using to hold a 3cel lipo on the front upper links, and it's double-sided taped down , no probs....
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

here's my elec. mounted work's well. the other set up look very clean.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I mounted the esc and receiver on the upper links with a piece of plastic.
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeal823 View Post
I mounted the esc and receiver on the upper links with a piece of plastic.

i appreciate the help, but lets try to be a little more TECH. i know your new to this site like me. BUT... you didnt describe well or show it in the pics you just gave me a poser flex shot to show off your S**t