Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 2 Speed Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 2 Speed Transmission and Narrow Wheelbase. How to?

First of all - Merry Christmas to everyone

I got a little question, i would like to install a 2 Speed Tranny in my AX10 and also narrow the Track.

I got a HPI Jeep Rubicon Body from Santa (or was it my wife ). Which I want to put it on my second AX10. Along with new Mudslingers 2.2

What I need now is a Tranny that fits. First gear should be as low as original (87/14) and second gear should be faster. The idea is to use second between the track und first for trail and crawl.

I also need beadlock wheels which have much less offset that the original ones.

I want the tires to fit inside of the body because this one should lock a little more scale.

The goal is not to get a hardcore crawler.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for the help (I am totally new to crawlers) and I hope my english is not to bad.

Greetings

Last edited by Swiss; 12-30-2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: incomplet title
Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

where in Switzerland are you ?

I have toured in Lucern, Zurich , Alturbron, last July Thun for a race in July. if you are near Germany you should check it out ! http://www.gravity-sports.com/events.htm

for a 2 speed trans, there is a small light RC4Wd tranny , go to RC4WD.com
you should be safe if using a Brushed motor and a non braking ESC. they are working on a heavy duty version if you want to wait.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I actually live in Luzern. How did you like it?

So you are a Downhill Racer (Bike)?

Thanks for the info. What do you mean with a non braking ecs?

I use the novak rooster crawler with a Truckpuller2 engine. The Truckpuller2 makes about 6500 RPM on 7.2v. So if I pull of my finger from the acc the ax10 stops right away.

Will this break the 2 speed tranny from RC4WD.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I bet you could fit an e-maxx tranny, you might have to spread the chassis plates apart a little.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
I bet you could fit an e-maxx tranny, you might have to spread the chassis plates apart a little.
X2, maybe trim the outside of the E-Maxx tranny instead of spreading the chassis plates.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
I actually live in Luzern. How did you like it? It's AWESOME ! Mountain Biking is Killer up there near Lcern.
Switzerland is My favorite out of all my travels but I'll Tell Ya the Girls are Smoken Hot in Copenhagen ! That is the Hottest City, A lot Of Young people very well dressed and the Girl Ratio is like 7 to 1 !
Click on my travels below to check out pics

So you are a Downhill Racer (Bike)? I race Street Luge and classis luge, 04 world Champion :-P

Thanks for the info. What do you mean with a non braking ecs? let off throttle and it stops instantly

I use the novak rooster crawler with a Truckpuller2 engine. The Truckpuller2 makes about 6500 RPM on 7.2v. So if I pull of my finger from the acc the ax10 stops right away.

Will this break the 2 speed tranny from RC4WD.
Yea it migh break, My throttle is on and has hard brake

emaxx tranny pretty strong, just really sucks with cog, high center of gravity. makes the differance between climbing stairs and Not climbing stairs.
I thought of doing 2 speed also but now I rather have Dual DIG on my rig.

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 12-25-2007 at 04:01 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2, maybe trim the outside of the E-Maxx tranny instead of spreading the chassis plates.
I would like to see that. problem is, the infamous 12 inch slop that the e-maxx tranny has. What is the slop factor on the tamiya 3 speed?
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
WHY?

If anything,you wanna make the chassis skinnier. Right now my Axial chassis is 2 1/4" wide outside to outside. I'd like to go more here pretty soon. I'm shootin for 1 3/4"-1 7/8" wide.

The Emaxx tranny would weight more than my Chassis,tranny,motor,shocks and links all together. That things a TANK......and a sloppy one at that

To skinny your track width up,narrow your tires and cut the face side of the wheel down some.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:21 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

@toy4crawlin

your dam right, girls from copenhaven are hot, i know that because i marry one . I really like danemark because most people I met are very open minded.

Luzern is perfect for bikers. I bike 3 or 4 times every week, and I am quite sure you havent seen the nices places. You can easely do a 4-5 hour Tour not seeing any regular road.

I send Rc4WD a mail and asked there opinion if I would break it with my setup or not. What thing makes me wonder, the write first gear is 11.4:1 and second is 6.7:1. But with the original Spur an Pinion Gear (87 - 14) I got 6.2:1. That would mean that even in second gear I would be slower than now.
But my goal is to get as fast as now in first gear and faster in second. Am I right with my calculations or did i miss something?
Old 12-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Default denmark

yeah the girls here are nice i live just outside copenhagen
storm4710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your inputs.

Do you have any suggestions on how to narrow the track. I really would like the tyres to run inside of the HPI Jeep Rubicon Body.

I really searched a lot but could not find any beadlock wheels which would fit. I guess that i could narrow the wheelbase on every side by about 15mm (not much more because than the wheel will touch the steeringarm). So with prober wheels and the slightly thinner Mudslingers 2.2 I guess I can bring down the wheelbase to about 230mm.

Thanks for helping an happy new year.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
Do you have any suggestions on how to narrow the track. I really would like the tyres to run inside of the HPI Jeep Rubicon Body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post

To skinny your track width up,narrow your tires and cut the face side of the wheel down some.
Or,find a wheel thats ALL backspacing. You can do like I did and make your own wheels as well. Cut the center out of your wheel so all you have left is the outter ring. The wheel center you want to use,glue it to the face side so the hex is as far out as it can get.

Pretty simple stuff.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote