Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Diablo comp rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RC4WD Diablo comp rig

I picked up a Diablo chassis to build and i was very impessed with all of the hardware and parts it came with .This is gonna be my new comp rig for the season. I'm running AX-10 axles , RC4WD R2D tranny, traxxas stampede driveshafts powered by a 45T pro lathe motor on 7 2/3a cells. I'm running traxxas big bore shocks with losi white springs on the front and traxxas reds on the rear. All of the links are made from Jato ends with 8/32 threaded rod conecting them and 1/4 steel brakeline sleeving them.
The electronics will be run by a JR fm 3ch radio system . A Hitec 645mg will be running the tranny and for now i have a JR z650 for the steering which will be upgraded to a 5955tg in the near future. My castle creations sidewinder and BEC should be in by Wendsda.
I picked up some 1/8 and 1/4 delrin and made my own upper link plates, battery plates for the front axles , electronic trays , and the skid plate.
Right now i am at 2 3/4 to the skid with just a hair under 12.5 wheelbase , its a little high compared to my other rig but it seems very stable. I guess time will tell.
here are the axles they were the first thing i assembled the black pieces in the back are Stage 3 Racing chromoly lockers other than that the axles are stock but will be eventually upgaded to aluminum rear lock outs and straight axles for the rear. The front will get aluminum C-hubs and knuckles.

This is the chassis and it came with all of that shiney hardware , I didnt use alot of it, I switched out all of the caphead screw for button head.

It offically a roller now and i got the rockstar body all mounted up and i'm gonna airbrush it up in the next few days

Still need to make a skidplate , sleeve all of the links , make bent links for the rear, and add electronics. Gotta get the driveshafts in to .
Nitro Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2008, 05:18 AM   #2

Question

Hi, OK Time for a dumb Newbie Question..........................!

The way in which you have attached your arms to the chassis (angles I'm refering to !), what differing effect as apposed to the standard Axial AX 10 has this set up got ?

Cheers
Chooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooby View Post
Hi, OK Time for a dumb Newbie Question..........................!

The way in which you have attached your arms to the chassis (angles I'm refering to !), what differing effect as apposed to the standard Axial AX 10 has this set up got ?

Cheers
Big time triangulated 4-link, my favorite link setup also. He has some really extreme angles, the ride should be very stable.
MasterShake44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Nice choice on chassis! The Diablo drives very well.
MasterShake44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thats not a bad looking chassis at all. Thats the first one I've seen built. Beside the one on rc4wd's site. The only thing I can see that needs changed is the skid. Other then that. Looks good.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys, the rear uppers are triangulated more than he front . Baisically because i couldn't get the rear ones tucked inside of the chassis because of the motor. It does seem to be extremely stable playing with it on the table. I also need to cut and tap some aluminum pipe to connect the 2 lower links at the skid so there isnt a gap between the bolts.

I 'm in the process of making my bentlinks for the rear this morning and i have all of my other sleeves made for the other links i just need to put them on and if i have time morning before our crew heads out crawling i'm gonna fab up the 1/4" delrin skid plate.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Herb, new chassis looks awesome. I see you have a little custom HPD 4 link plates, some custom links and I also spotted a set of Stage 3 racing lockers. You have a sweet build going on there bud.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks Justgoingslow, ive been working on it a little more today , i'm probably gona have it ready for the comp next weekend . Probably wont run in the comp unless i can get some wheel time on it later this week.

I got the link sleeves on today and made a skid plate for it. I started to paint the body tonight , the so called red looks more like a purpleish magenta color so im not real happy with that but ill see what it looks like when i get the other colors on it. Tomorrow after work im hoping to get the tranny servo mounted and get the eletronic tray in . Here are a few more pics of my progress and the body so far , i still need to paint the bed, roll bar and airbrush the flames. If the red looks funny its because i did a marble effect to it using silver and black.
I also need to cut a couple pieces of aluminum tubing so i can connect the lower link mount in the center near the skid plate.It needs to be 24mm long and ill tap them 3mm's

Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Herb, I also like where your going with the whole paint scheme thing. That really looks sweet.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thanks, i was looking for of a red like the rear shock springs , but this color is no where near the color of the paint chip. Oh well the LHS has a bunch of these bodies i guess i can grab another one if this one doesn't work out. I'm planning on doing the flames white , yellow , and orange , the bed carbon fiber and the rollbar and windowtrim with faschrome.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Herb, I think It looks good very nice build. Man you got the hookup though. Neil a member of our club is down talking to the guy who owns Stage three Racing, right now. He want idea's for stuff that us crawler guys want or need.

Darren
Old 04-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
RCC Addict

hay nitro
did the same bottom thing to Diablo
the problem i had with the stand offs was that the chassis kept bending where the lower link standoff's were mounted.
i ended up running a bolt across the chassis with a small tube in between the lower links.
this solved the problem , all so had up chop up the skid for this set-up !
you have to have a lower skid

the DmG

the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the tip onthe links , i figured it would need more support in that area , so i'm cutting a piece of 1/4 " aluminum roundstock at 24mm long and tapping for 3mm , getting rid of the locknuts that are holding the lower links on now and connecting the 2 bolts with the aluminum pipe in between them. if that doesn't work ill have to come up with plan b. Ill put up some pics when its done.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

How are you liking the RC4WD tranny?? Have any problems with it yet?
Your truck looks sick, I am so ready to start building my comp rig!
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I really like the R2D tranny , i own 2 of them , the only thing i would reccomemd is hook up with a guy on here named rocksmith and buy his teflon bushings for it. It comes stock with brass bushing and the teflon one make a huge difference and are super smooth . They are $8 a set.

The tranny in this rig is brand new and doesnt have the bushing in it yet.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Well i got the body finished up tonight and got the electronic trays in and the battery straps on . Just a few more things to go and it will be up and running.

Last edited by Nitro Herb; 04-14-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:57 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Herb,looks great man.... gonna break it in thursday?
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Herb, That looks awesome, the true evil twins. Let me know how it handles when you get some testing in.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys i appreciate it, it feels good to start out with a pile of parts and end up with something nice that i built with my own hands.

I' m hoping to break it in thursday , but if the rest of the stuff doesnt show up ill have to wait on the break in i guess .I'll still more than likely go out thursday after work and take the ax.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Well its finshed up and now just basically have to dial it in The initial set up actually worked pretty good . I went out yesterday with it for a few hours and the only thing i changed was the rear springs.

I'm real happy with sidewinder ESC and BEC and actually put my rooster up for sale LOL

The JR servo didn't live up to my expectations so i threw a 5955tg in it today.

I also found that 2 crossbraces on the ends of the chassis wasn't enough and inorder to add more i had to move the reciever and re do my wiring.
I dont really care for where i had to put the reciever but i didnt have many options. Maybe someday ill pick up a spectrum and run a micro reciever.

One thing i notice is that it has quite a bit of clearance but still sidehills pretty well
Here are a couple more pics with the electronics in it and the skid area finished. The skid plate i made from delrin is just big enough to cover the tranny 3/4" x 2 3/4" long , not much to get hung up on.

Last edited by Nitro Herb; 04-18-2008 at 07:19 PM.