Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Just finshed my dig setup...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Just finshed my dig setup...

I've been working on my dig setup for a day and a half and I think I finally got it all dialed in. I used some 1/2" brass tube, brass rod, 1/2" brass bushing, 1/2" tube collar, bolts, JB Weld, and a couple of my wife's hair tie thingies. The total cost for materials (not including the servo) was under $20 and I still have a majority of the brass, aluminum, and JB Weld left. I just used the stock AX10 driveshafts, I have a set of Jato shafts ordered as back ups, so I will probably make another version for the Jato shafts when they arrive.

First I cut down 2 of the male shafts and stuck a piece of brass rod in side to keep them aligned (not sure on the size, just bought the one that fit).

Unfortunately I got JB Weld on my hands and stopped taking pictures after this, so I just have some of the finished product.

Next I stuck a piece of female shaft inside a chunk of the 1/2" tube with some JB weld. I slid the collar on the tube and held it in place with a small piece of the bushing on each side, and JB Welded the bushings to the tube. I took the allen head set screw out of the collar and replaced it with a chunk of threads I cut off a bolt and to use to mount the collar to the brake. For the brake I cut out the spline of a small piece of female shaft and glued it inside a piece of the tube and cut some notches in the side to engage a small brass rod I put through the driveshaft to act as a brake. I JB Welded a wide shock spacer around the tube to give it some meat to put a screw into. I attached the collar and the brake together with a chunk of aluminum I cut and bent to fit.

To mount the servo to the rear axle I cut out a new plate from a sheet of aluminum using the stock servo plate as a template.

And to keep the collar from flopping around on the drive shaft when engaging and/or driving, I used a couple of my wifes little elastic hair things, I put them from around the aluminum plate on the slider to each side of the chassis. It keeps it centered up pretty well and doesn't bind up while flexing. It was going to be a temporary thing until I figured something else out, but it seems to work really well, so it might stay.

Some pics:

After I played around with it for a bit to make sure it was going to work, I took it all apart and applied a coat of JB Weld around the brake collar and the aluminum to make sure it doesn't rip the screw out. So between this and the new Rock Claws, I think that I should be set for a while.....but probably not. :-P

Last edited by hlb3; 12-28-2007 at 07:05 PM.
hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default dig

Looks good. Are you having any problem with the female shaft re-engaging the male shaft?
WKKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Great how to thread
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKKILLER View Post
Looks good. Are you having any problem with the female shaft re-engaging the male shaft?
I haven't had any problems yet, it engages pretty smoothly, I don't know if it will get worse as the splines on the shaft wear though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing View Post
Great how to thread
Thanks, I wish I could have taken more pictures while I was building it.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Before I put it back together I took a few pics:

The brake collar:

The female shaft is inside that tube, it all rotates freely inside the tube collar: