RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   Just how beefy is the AX-10 drivetrain? Tractor pull! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/98272-just-how-beefy-ax-10-drivetrain-tractor-pull.html)

JohnRobHolmes 12-30-2007 03:53 PM

Just how beefy is the AX-10 drivetrain? Tractor pull!

1 Attachment(s)
Today the LHS had a pulling "event" in the store, so I decided to test out the old axial rig to see how it would handle some load. It is basically a stock build, stock gearing, and I compressed the rear shocks down fully with zip ties. I also used stock TLT tires and rims filled to the brim with BB's. Motor was a 5t Cobalt Puller (zero timing), Mamba Max, and 7 matched cell GP 3700. I was a bit worried, since the motor has a ton of power. What would give first? My guess was the stampede driveshafts, and then maybe a locker or middle gear in the tranny.

Vehicle weight was just under 9 pounds with the BB's, and I pulled 45 pounds on the sled as I had it set up (full pull). I didn't have enough traction in the rear though, so I added a 5 pound weight on the rear axle.

Problem solved and I now pulled 65 pounds. Once I got near the end of the pull the truck started to hop and the rear driveshaft popped. No biggie, I slapped on another driveshaft with a Pede yoke instead of the older axial yoke.

The next pull was almost a full pull, but this time the rear axle stopped turning when the rig hopped. I was sure the rear diff was toast. Not so, the set screw on the pede yoke was loose. Very odd, I know I tightened it hard. Turns out the diff pinion ate away the set screw!

Once again I tightened the set screw and then added another 5 pounds to the rig, this time on the front axle. Now the rig was almost 20 solid pounds, should have no hop :lol: 65 pounds was a breeze, it was a full pull.

Now I decided to go for broke and pull all of the weight we had, which turned out to be 95 pounds. For sure something would give. It took off fast and kept on chugging. Once I got to the carpet transition where the hopping started, the rig bounced a few times and ate the set screw off the pede yoke again :x Nothing spectacular! I was certain something else would have broken.

Motor never temped over 100 on the comm, ESC and battery didn't even warm up. Room temp was about 72. I would say the Axial drivetrain is as stout as can be!

Axial gets two thumbs up from me! Now I gotta find some way to put more load on it. Next time we pull I will get some vid, and get a metal driveshaft on the back end so I can really test the strength of the diffs and tranny.

2JSC 12-30-2007 03:58 PM

Good god. 20lb vehicle and 95lbs worth of dead weight. Makes me feel better about choosing to get an AX10 later on."thumbsup"

666 12-30-2007 03:59 PM

Sheesh, how come mine was not so forgiving with no weight? Perhaps those tires have no traction?

EeePee 12-30-2007 03:59 PM

Very good. I've been close to buying the HD ring and pinion, but maybe there's no need really.

JohnRobHolmes 12-30-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 666 (Post 984747)
Sheesh, how come mine was not so forgiving with no weight? Perhaps those tires have no traction?

We were on carpet, so there was plenty of traction. Also, the smaller tires give more reduction. What size tire were you running, and what surface? What did you break?

666 12-30-2007 04:06 PM

I was running Claws on granite, no weight period. Revolver Black, Mamba 25, 6 cell 1200 2/3 a's. Carnage: center locker, one axle, spun hexes, those are from just driving. From the falls: 2 knuckles, a housing, 1 axle c, and rod ends, maybe 6-7 packs through it.

FULLTHROTTLE 12-30-2007 04:08 PM

Cool. Maybe dad will put some more horsepower in mine now.

JohnRobHolmes 12-30-2007 04:10 PM

Were you hammering the throttle when it was bound up 666? Wait, I know you and yes you were :lol: mamba 25 and outrunner = pounding drivetrain

Center locker doesn't suprise me. I thought for sure I would eat one up.

dezfan 12-30-2007 04:11 PM

It was indeed impressive, I feel very confident in the Axial axles and tranny durability after watching Johnrob's rig this afternoon!"thumbsup"

666 12-30-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 984774)
Were you hammering the throttle when it was bound up 666? Wait, I know you and yes you were :lol: mamba 25 and outrunner = pounding drivetrain

Center locker doesn't suprise me. I thought for sure I would eat one up.

I was not exactly hammering, and twas not bound. I can say this I have put my TLT though alot worse!! My driving style I guess is not as forgiving as others. I run Stampede shafts to act as a slipper, so those usually pop off first. Oh well it's gone now. Clod for life!!

JohnRobHolmes 12-30-2007 04:16 PM

TLT with stock shafts? I used to bust tlt shafts left and right with just a 55t on 6 cell nimh.

666 12-30-2007 04:17 PM

The better max climber ones, they survived the 3013 for quite some time!!

JohnRobHolmes 12-30-2007 04:21 PM

The ax-10 axle, what part gave way? Where the neckdown is? Was it after something else broke?

666 12-30-2007 04:23 PM

It was right at the dogbone, right where everything always breaks. It was the first part I broke besides the stock sliders.

I give up, AX-10 is king, you guys win!!!

Cloak 12-30-2007 04:25 PM

This sounds like something I need. :) Looks like I'm going to place an order or see if someone has a pair of axles they're willing to part with.

JohnRobHolmes 12-30-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 666 (Post 984806)

I give up, AX-10 is king, you guys win!!!

:lol: Just interested in the order of the breakage. At the last scale comp in augusta I broke one tlt shaft, then another, then another within a minute of each other. Once one wheel stops getting power the others seem to have failure too.

DieselPhotos 12-30-2007 04:47 PM

Way cool... Now I know what I have to try today. :)

I'll just use the ax-10 to move the rocks around on my course "thumbsup"

Hildy 12-30-2007 07:24 PM

Nice review. I know the stress a weight sled will put on a rig once it starts hopping and am impressed with the stock form Ax10 axles.

yotachump 12-30-2007 07:44 PM

This is a good stress test of the AX10.never would of imagined it could handle that, all stock.

1beatjeep 12-30-2007 08:50 PM

if you had video this this would have been sweet to see.