Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My son's AX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default My son's AX-10

Here are some pictures of my son's AX-10. He is 6. His mom and I had bought him a RC18T a year ago and after I started getting into RC rock crawling, he soon decided he wanted a crawler instead. So I sold his RC18T and bought him the AX-10 kit. I have modified it some.

It has some of the CKRCCrawlers stage 2 mods. I made the front and rear axle link plates. It now has four link using Jato turnbuckles for upper links. No torque twist now.

I use to race 1/8 scale nitro buggies and I kept all the spare shocks and hardware before I sold them all. I am using Sportwerks Turmoil Shocks installed inverted for a low COG. The shock pistons are custom drilled to control travel speed and the down travel is limited internally. Three of the springs are from ACE hardware and the left rear is a Ofna Buggy spring. All four springs have been cut and modified for length and softness. It took a lot of tuning but the suspension works pretty well.

I am using a Traxxas T Maxx receiver box to house the Novak Rooster Crawler. I modified it for the wires to come out and it does a good job protecting the ESC from falls. It has a Axiom 55 Turn motor with a 12 tooth pinion.

The lower links are box stock, I just used a tubing bender and put a 30 degree bend to them. The Hitec MG645 steering servo went out today so it will be replaced soon. I am still experimenting with battery placement and design. I first had it set up for a 6 cell stick pack, then I changed it to the design in the picture. Three on bottom with three on top over hanging the steering servo. It works pretty good as is, but I am thinking of going to 7 cell 2/3A's as the funds become available.

The receiver shelf is actually from old Associated RC10. The TX and RX is a Futaba 3PM FM unit. Depending on which set of rims & tires is on the AX-10, the weight will fluctuate. As pictured, it's 5 pounds 8 ounces. The rear wheels have 3oz stick on weights and the fronts have 5oz. Star cut foams.

With no battery in it, it will stand on either of it's sides all day. If I use a 2 cell lipo it will do it. But with a Sub C, no way. That is part of the consideration for going to 2/3A's in the near future.

It has a Parma Bug body which is not pictured. It's a very capable crawler.

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Very nice, your son is one lucky young man to have you! Good Job!

Also, good informative post.
Les Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nova,

Looks good. Did you mean to have the rear wheels turned in like that? If so for what reason.
WKKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Crawl View Post
Very nice, your son is one lucky young man to have you! Good Job!

Also, good informative post.
Thank you for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKKILLER View Post
Nova,

Looks good. Did you mean to have the rear wheels turned in like that? If so for what reason.
I am using the stock plastic lock out on the rear that came with the AX-10 kit. The kit did include two small turn buckles to adjust that, but it has not been a problem with the rear toe in the way it is, so I have just left it for now. I will eventually buy lock outs and straight axles for it.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote