Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Ordering my AX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #1

Default Ordering my AX-10

ok.. so i'm very new to rc crawling but have been around 1:1 crawling for years now...

I'm fairly sure i'm going to purchase the Scorp kit from tcscrawlers.com. The one i'm wanting to get is the complete kit ($489.99)

it comes with the basic kit +:

Novak Rooster Crawler Edition ESC
65t Lathe Motor
645MG Servo
Hitec Aggressor Radio
Wet Noodle Wire
6 cell 2/3A double barrel battery with Tamiya connector
Super Brain 960 Charger

My question lies in the fact that like i said.. i know nothing of rc crawling parts.

Would this be a good starter build? Or am i just getting extra stuff that i will have to replace immediatly from breakage?

I'm also ordering the TCS "Edge" AX10 Scorpion Direct Bolt on Tube Frame kit as i like the open view that tube chassis offer. It also says that it requires different shocks, a internal spring shock so i guess i can tac that onto my list also.

I'm ordering a couple other things such as another set of batteries and the high clearance arms. Any other suggestions?

Also, what are typical run times on batteries for the AX-10 with a similiar setup to the setup mentioned above?

Last edited by Khell; 01-04-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Khell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Well the crawler store knows what they are doing so I dont think that they would just sell you stuff that doesnt not work or stuff that you dont need. They also sell the internal springs you are asking about for the shocks to be ran in what is called a droop setup. Search droop and you will find a bunch. The only suggestion is to ditch the 645mg as it did not have enough torque for my liking. A lot of people use them but with only 133oz of torque I had problems not being able to turn in tight spots or at full articulation. A servo with 280 oz or better you will have no problems except maybe breaking the plastic steering knuckles. TCS has the aluminum ones that are stronger and allow better turning. Just my .02
scrotsbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm also new to rc crawling also but not to rc's. I just purchased the ax10 about a month ago. I got the kit and then built my way up with the electronics and then did the stage two conversion. I would recommend doing this type of a build up as to the rtr type. I wouldn't have known how the thing worked without putting it together from the ground up. When something gives you are going to want to fix it without having to go through the learning curve of breaking it down and putting it back together. IMO. Also, while you are putting it together you could read up on this site about what other people have done and research some of the internals for the truck. That's just my opinion though. Other then that, have fun with it as I can't stop running mine.
SLOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I think you made an excelent choice,great parts from a great vender......That being said I couldn't agree more with SLOB. You have experince with RC , so you should know the value of building and tweaking things.The 1:1 world should have taught ya that !
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sounds good. I have that servo and it is holding up fine...that is the great thing about this hobby...you can upgrade parts as you go for a whole hellava lot cheaper than 1:1. You will find what works best for you might not for someone else, vise versa...good luck.
Flatcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #6

Im looking at this kit as well. Seems like most of the parts that are included people are recommending as well on here.
Im trying to figure out if I want to upgrade a couple parts though. Im looking at this:
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-8-cel...n-p-16620.html

Mount the batteries on the axle instead of using the battery that comes with the kit. I sent an email to The Crawler store to see what they say.
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote