Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Question about the axial links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Question about the axial links

Hi all,

Quick question. I'm enduring the fruitless search for some 70mm links to do the upper link mod, and I realized I have 4 stock lower links just eatin' up real estate on the bench. Can I cut them down to 70mm and use them as uppers? Well of course I can cut them down ;) but are they threaded all the way through? That's the question. I didn't have a readily available M3 grub to try running though them. Or just cut them down to 15mm and only waste 1 too I guess. Anyhow I didn't see any blatent info on this.

Thanks!!

Rob

Last edited by rdtshaw; 01-05-2008 at 02:03 AM.
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

The lowers are drilled all the way through and treaded about 20mm each end. Just cut and re-thread one end.
motormad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:49 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtshaw View Post
Hi all,

Quick question. I'm enduring the fruitless search for some 70mm links to do the upper link mod, and I realized I have 4 stock lower links just eatin' up real estate on the bench. Can I cut them down to 70mm and use them as uppers? Well of course I can cut them down ;) but are they threaded all the way through? That's the question. I didn't have a readily available M3 grub to try running though them. Or just cut them down to 15mm and only waste 1 too I guess. Anyhow I didn't see any blatent info on this.

Thanks!!

Rob
You can cut a 15 or a 70. Either way, you have to thread. I prefer one piece. A 3mm tap is only $3 or so at Ace.
nomobux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!!

Rob
I,ve already made three sets of upper links out of the 98mm lower links works perfect. All I used was a tubing cutter and a 3mm tap
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Cool I was going to attempt this tonight anyways. Now I know it will work.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm glad I'm not the only one... Thanks for the info, I've got a few M3 taps, no problemo. Actually better than threads being there as I was worried about damaging the existing threads when I cut. Here dremel dremel, come 'ere boy. Thats a good dremel. ;)

Last edited by rdtshaw; 01-06-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

rdtshaw, can you put pics of your final works on the links .
thank s
doudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou View Post
rdtshaw, can you put pics of your final works on the links .
thank s
Sure! I think I'm gonna do 15mm extensions as it will save links and keep the little bit of clearance round the shocks. I'm waiting for some 40mm screws to move in the lower links too. I'm hoping to do it tonight, but maybe tomorrow morning. I just finished my Proline Crowd Pleaser 2 Jato Body. I hate painting bodies. I like to break things. I'm easy like that.

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by rdtshaw; 01-05-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: I can't spell for d$%k. :)
Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

sorry for the delay on the photos, I cut the links up and they turned out fine, but I had a hard time finding the longer 3mm grub screws to attach them. After going to the LHS and talking with one of the guys there, I ended up getting some aluminum link tubing and making 70mm links so I could use the existing link screws. The new tubing I used is 4.5mm, a little thinner than the axial stuff, still pretty strong. Probably a little bit lighter, but nothing noticable I'm sure. ;) Should be fine for the uppers, but I think maybe a little thin for the lowers. I still need to install them and do some drilling on the chassis, so I'll post some pics once I get that finished. The links came out great btw. took a while to cut, drill, and tap them, but worth it. $2.50 for 12" of link tubing, and it's silver. I had a bit of a time finding the 40mm screws to move out shocks and links on the axel, but I found that HPI has some 42mm screws for screwing down a nitro head. Good find and only threaded on the last 10mm of the screw.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Instead of waiting for long grub screws - I went to my local Ace Hardware and picked up some long 3mm screws - screwed them into the plastic ends and then cut the head off (good ole dremel) and threaded on the rod.
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Okay, despite life fighting my RC time, I finally got this done. The upper links turned out really good and I got the rest of the build finished. I went with most of the CKRC Stage 2 mods. Here are some shots of the finished product:

Old 01-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Dang that body is high!! Try it like this, its alot better. Nice paint job by the way.
Attached Images

Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
ghetto fabulous newbie

your body seems high.

dang, Kamikaze bet me to it
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I know, I know. I was trying to avoid hacking up the body. I'm gonna trim up the fenders and drop it down. Thanks on the paint job. The graphics were already in it, so I can't take credit for that, but otherwise I was real happy with the outcome. I hate painting bodies, but that comes from my BL emaxx, I'm a body killer, so I know while I'm laboring on the the paint that I'm just gonna kill it ;)

Cheers,

Rob
Old 01-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I hear you on the painting, I guess I should post this one up again......
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Ack! delete that post!! heh-heh.. I've got a couple of those that went way wrong. I got the body lowered, but I had to hack it up pretty good. are you getting pretty significant rub in the front with the wheels turned?

BTW, that body is leaning a little towards fisher price. Where where you going with that one? ;)
Old 01-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ack! delete that post!! heh-heh.. I've got a couple of those that went way wrong. I got the body lowered, but I had to hack it up pretty good. are you getting pretty significant rub in the front with the wheels turned?

BTW, that body is leaning a little towards fisher price. Where where you going with that one? ;)

Not real sure what I was thinking......... The tires only rub a little at full stuff, but the tire hits even with the body so it doesn't catch. It works realy well.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Looks great man. Thanks for the pics of some of the mods, I wasn't quite sure what people were talking about.
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote