Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 1BadJeepBruiser's Ax10 Xtrail Bronco RTR with Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #41
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
OK DUDE..., I know we have the same tastes in scale trucks,-which is fine... and we both know how to build a super detailed-realistic rig..,and thats fine too.... but when was it OK to copy MY Broncos Paintjob..???
I thought he was copying my super scale 2.2 Clod Bronco that I ran at the '06 Nationals....

Great looking rig, man! That soft top is just too cool!
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Mike,
For the shocks you can try 2 things, the shaft spacer on the outside, put it on the inside shortening the shock, or use fuel tubing till you get the length you like.
Another idea is to use some shorter shock shafts, maybe some hanging around from a TLT or pede fronts?

Chassis is looking good btw, I like the scale look of it better than the stock axial.
william g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Mike. The truck looks great. I don't know where you find the time to build all of this cool stuff. Thanks for the sharpie idea too.
MOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #44
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenlonco View Post
I thought when you change the rod position and angles like you have it would cause the back and front suspension to work diferently..It probably does a little but I don't think it will matter to much... How you going to mount the body on ?
The front and rear will behave differently anyway as the links are facing in opposite directions.
The leading front links will act differently than the trailing rear links. Think about just pushing
on the front tires will often cause a suspension with steep link angles to raise its ride height,
while pushing on the front of the rear tires of a similar setup would make the ride height want
to squat. Very basic analogy and there is a lot of variability to link angles, but should give you
some idea.

Back to the build........

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Been watching, looks awesome Mike. Cant wait to see the real deal
D-ran83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #46

It looks great and good idea.

www.shockpricemall.com
mrteelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

hey Mike, are you going to dovetail like your old one?

Old 01-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Man I don't know what I'd rather have the real 1:1 73 Bronco or the scale Axial/TCS bronco. Its a tough call!
goslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Awesome build Mike. Glad to see youre scale skillz are still applicable when working with the Axe kit...

...go back to wrenchin Toyotas to fund your scale addictions. See you on the rocks!
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #50
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCRAWLER View Post
Mike. The truck looks great. I don't know where you find the time to build all of this cool stuff. Thanks for the sharpie idea too.
Its all in the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ran83 View Post
Been watching, looks awesome Mike. Cant wait to see the real deal
Thanks Darin, hopefully I will have it running for when the weather breaks and it warms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by william g View Post
hey Mike, are you going to dovetail like your old one?

No dove tail on this one Will, cant be done with Terry's awesome soft top. Plus lately, I have steered away from the hardcore rock crawler look, in most of my builds, into more of a daily driver/weekend warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goslo View Post
Man I don't know what I'd rather have the real 1:1 73 Bronco or the scale Axial/TCS bronco. Its a tough call!
The 1:1 was cool, but it was a PIA to wheel it and you have to have LOTS of $$$ to fix it when shit breaks, its worst then the RCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
Awesome build Mike. Glad to see youre scale skillz are still applicable when working with the Axe kit...

...go back to wrenchin Toyotas to fund your scale addictions. See you on the rocks!
I would go back to wrenching but the damn dealer wont return my call Probably because they dont need anyone...its the winter its always slow as hell.

Alright enough BSing back to work and tech...

One important thing on a scaler is to always try to hide the servo, in some cases you cant, as depending on your rig you may not have room to mount it in the frame or because of the geometry you gain bad bumper steer.

In the case of the Xtrail chassis, there is LOTS of room in the chassis, and with my ride height and suspension geometry I have a good feeling that I will have minimal bump steer.

So after a couple of measurements, a new front cross member, and one additional hole we have a frame mounted servo

After that, it was time for what is the most difficult part for me, in my builds...mounting the body :? I always dread this, especially when its already been painted. I know its just a matter of making the correct measurements but somehow I always managed to mess it up. So to insure proper body alignment, I called in an expert. Crawlingfireguy, Jeff, My stepdad, help me set up the bodys mounts and mark them out for proper drilling (he does most of my bodies for me). After a getting it marked out, I used the body reamer and made the holes.

Not to bad at all

I am sure some will want to see a flex shot...or 2

Tucks the tires so we are good to go

Next up, I mounted up a scale Hi-Lift jack from a member on scale 4x4 rc. This is the most scale Jack 2nd to Stefans from germany (nothing tops his). I drilled to small holes in my tire carrier and bolted it up

While I was employed, I had a bad habit of buying things I didnt necessarily need at the time, it was kinda like "Hey thats cool, I could use that on a future project." Good thing because now that I am broke, I can still get my build on for the most part I have had these recaro race seats and this dash kit from RPPHobby for quite some time so now I can finally put it to good use. I also found my scale emblems from scaleoffroad.com so I will work on getting those painted up and installed as well.

Stay tuned for more.

-Mike

***EDIT*** By the way, big thanks to Brandon, Nluvwith8lring, for hooking me up with the wheels for this thing

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 01-14-2008 at 06:42 PM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Is that a privateer engineering jack?
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #52
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
Is that a privateer engineering jack?
No, I believe the members name is bigbadwhitey or something like that.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

I have a Radio Shack Bronco body that has been collecting dust until recently,looking like I may try to copy this or one like it soon.Awesome job,and remember,be nice to noobs
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #54
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by red jim View Post
remember,be nice to noobs
whats up with that comment?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #55
Adilynsdad too!

Great job on the build bro...

Everything came together quite nice
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

damn mike! those tires look perfect under the bronco body! makes me want to build a bronco... i cant, im having a hard enough time staying on track with one scaler project...
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #57
20K Club

What are you going to do for bumpers Mike?

The ride height looks great, and the servo mount is great. I may have to see if that will work on mine.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #58
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
What are you going to do for bumpers Mike?

The ride height looks great, and the servo mount is great. I may have to see if that will work on mine.
Well I havent quite figured out the design for the rear yet, I have an idea but its no definite. The front is gonna get a sweet prerunnerish looking bumper with a skid in it similar to how Brandon made on his scout. I have a Bronco book here, from when I used to get parts for mine, and they have some sick looking bumpers in there so I am going to try to replicate one of those.

I like the stance too, these shocks HAVE to go though, the springs are so damn week that the right side rear side of the truck is sagging because of the spare tire It really needs some rc4wd scale shocks with some kick ass shock booties on them...o well, I think in the mean time I am going to try to stretch the spring out a tad and see if that helps.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
whats up with that comment?
They are set up differently so that I the wheels are centered in the body and the WB is correct... If you see a reason that it will effect the suspension in a negative matter then feel free to school me Mr. Shenlonco cause I am not seeing how it will matter but thats just me... As they say, you learn something knew everyday right?

Like I said,or meant,being nice to noobs
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
I like the stance too, these shocks HAVE to go though, the springs are so damn week that the right side rear side of the truck is sagging because of the spare tire It really needs some rc4wd scale shocks with some kick ass shock booties on them...o well, I think in the mean time I am going to try to stretch the spring out a tad and see if that helps.

That's when you ask yourself where are the scale airbag susp kits?