Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1/10 Rock Crawler Kit Build, Chapter 2 "The Mod Build"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Most of this I was thinking "no kidding its just buying and installing". But in the end its very through and I don't think anyone has done this much detail into the Stage 2 install or the other good mods.

Keep up the good posts.

For holes, you can also put them in the carcass of the tire to help with breathing, I did on my Rock Claws.
X2 you showed a lot more detail of the stage 2 install. Great posts
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Guys thanks for the comments........it's a real booster being new around here and with the crawler stuff. But again this couldn't have been possible without the help of Kevin from TCS and Jake at CKRC. You'll notice in the last shots of the thing sitting on my office chair that there is a set of aluminum battery trays that I bought from TCS. The way the rig is set-up now I run a MaxAmps 3 Cell 1550 on the rear axle servo tray, but I had the guys at the shop make me a 10 cell 2/3 pack for the front trays. I will run both this weekend and the truck for the first time on rocks at an indoor competition in Bismark, ND. I'll get plenty of pictures and report back on it's performance and the lack of mine (first time for both of us). And just incase your wondering the 3 cell 1550 is yielding over an hour of runtime with a 55T lathe, Mamba Max esc, and a Waypoint MG 172 oz of torque servo.

Jason

Last edited by JAM MaxAmps.com; 01-08-2008 at 09:09 AM.
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

sorry Jam wasnt meaning that too sound like a smart a$$ i meant that the hole should go through the weights too
mickrcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Don't worry I wasn't bothered by that..........I was just trying to say that I may be new to crawling but Not new to the RC world.

Jason
Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

great ''How to'' very clear and informative. I'm planning on some of that myself.

One question, with the new aluminum axle parts, did the kingpin screws bottom tight or are they locktited??
william g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

And shouldn't there be 8 of PN:axa1306?
Flatcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by william g View Post
great ''How to'' very clear and informative. I'm planning on some of that myself.

One question, with the new aluminum axle parts, did the kingpin screws bottom tight or are they locktited??
The Aluminum "C" hubs have threaded holes For the King Pin Screws.

Jason

Last edited by JAM MaxAmps.com; 01-08-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatcrawlr View Post
And shouldn't there be 8 of PN:axa1306?

Kinda what the kit pictures show, but I got Black Plastic ones and no bent links in my kit. It came only with the extended upper links . I ordered the bent Links from TCS with some other goodies I needed.

Jason

Last edited by JAM MaxAmps.com; 01-08-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

I am using the Edge chasis the the AX-10 truck and have the lower links inboard on the axle side like shown for the stage 2 kit and my truck has bad rear steer when the rear suspension moves. Anybody else experiencing this? Ways to get rid of it? Move the lower links out on the axle side?
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #30
RCC Addict

On my rear TCS Servo plate w/ the upper link mounts I put the left rear upper link on top of the plate and the Right upper link on the bottom. This reduced the tendancy for that left rear corner to drop during acceleration.

Jason
Old 01-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #31

I'll be at the bismarck comp this weekend also. I'll have the video camera with me. see you there
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the detail, looking forward to Stage 3......
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #33
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkscrawler View Post
Ways to get rid of it? Move the lower links out on the axle side?
That's a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps.com View Post
On my rear TCS Servo plate w/ the upper link mounts I put the left rear upper link on top of the plate and the Right upper link on the bottom.
A great thing to do, and I find it to help greatly, but it's to counter the torque twist action. You can run softer springs and still have near zero torque twist on these trucks. Good stuff. Stole it from Jaguar.

Nice thread Jason.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #34

Nice thread- I've already done the stage 2 kit, but I ended up moving my links further outboard to limit the twist a bit and help with the torque twist. My next step will definitely be the upper link mounts. I also run my 1250 lipo from the rear battery tray to help a little with CG and balance-

Looks awesome- I'm so impressed with the near "out of the box" performance of these rigs. If it werent for the AX-10 I never would have gotten into this hobby!

Thanks again for the detailed thread-

Cody
funboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I'll be at the bismarck comp this weekend also. I'll have the video camera with me. see you there

Mike that'll be great. Nicklepimp contacted me last night and I gave him the Phone number for WW-N-H and told him to call for directions and start time info. So there might be a few more of us Minnesotans coming up there. I'll have my digital camera and my Video cam also. We're pulling double duty this weekend also, gonna do a little indoor Funfly at the golf dome that night also. It's gonna be a blast.

Jason
Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Well we had the comp on Saturday and Tony did well with a 4th place finish and I finished 6th, I missed 5th by 5 points. The truck and the power system worked great. First practice run popped a shock. Started the first comp run and Broke a drive shaft, fixed with a cut short shaft. popped it and then fixed with a pede set. First run sucked. Second run was reverse run on the course and pointed out. The only one I think that didn't point out on that run was a new TCS "Edge" chassis. The rock lizards just don't get traction. I was the only one who had them. Losi's where the tire to have. I sauced up my tires for the third run and got a 25 and was right with everyone else for that run. It was a blast for the first time on rocks and I learned a lot. Now it's time to fix and get some new tires. I'll get some pic's and video up in a while.

Jason
Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

What did you use to add traction to the tires?
RaleighRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #38

soak them in simple green, makes a big difference but it only lasts until the tires get dusty
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Yup, the clean tires made a difference for the one run. Mike when I popped the shock first thing playin' around it hit something so hard on my chassis that it poked a hole in the shock body. Leaked and hung up the rest of the day. New Aluminum Axial Bodies are on the way.

Jason
Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 AM   #40

How correctly to choose position of the center of an hole?

Aleksey-Forest is offline   Reply With Quote