Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My Scorpion (no clever name)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My Scorpion (no clever name)

Just want to post up my scorpion.

^ As it sits right now besides missing esc which is fried and battery moved to front now.

-PARTS-
It is stock besides high clearance links and rock claws.
It has a crappy 645 in it, that will probably be replaced with a Jr when I start ordering them for all my cars. I have a mamba max and a SW3 on the way also. I am using a pack from my rc18 right now but I am planning on having one made from cheap batt packs if I don't just order one and some plates from tcs like I planned. I would like to run the High clearance links on my sw3 but I may have to cut them. I will either use a front upper link mount from tcs or rcp, not sure yet. It will be aluminum so that the holes don't elongate from the hi torque servo. Rear boomerang mount in delrin, battery mounts not sure what material, maybe aluminum with notches to dissipate heat but I doubt it will make much difference. Big bore shocks most likely. If I buy a pack of 8, four can go on this and 4 on my monster truck.

-PAINT-
I will be de-anodizing the links and stuff when I disassemble to swap chassis. I painted that bug, my first and it is alright in theory but my masks and stuff lifted at the edge when paint hit to there is over spray I guess. I am painting a Baja TT body from hpi as it is the only one my LHS had that was remotely crawler worthy. I started with Pearl white from pactra I think, then Sprint white, that will be the base. I then backed it with Indy silver because I ran out of white and there wasnt going to be enough to prevent thin spots. I am not sure if I want the back windows clear or not. They are masked but I may remove it and paint then add the little safety net decal or something. I am going to mask off the roof and paint it like this one was meant, only better and with indy silver instead of sprint white and Spaztix super gloss black. I was debating on throwing in some comp orange but dont really think I want black and orange together. Pics when I get the cam from home.

-PROBLEMS-
Running it on my little makeshift trial course and all of a sudden I smell smoke and truck starts going as fast as possible. I grab it and the solder is like melting off of the top of the rc18 esc. Fets are crispy on top but when installed it just runs full speed. Cant get a close up of the fets but there toast.

Took the sticker and metal right off. Well I got a new switch off of it.
Also the play and looseness of the drive train is getting really bad. I can have it on all fours and turn the spurs almost a good 2 full times before the shafts start turning, then another time till the axles want to turn.
Any ideas on how fix it? More pics and video later.
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Nice paint job!
MasterShake44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
RCC Addict

looks pretty sweet without the stupid body...i like it!
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #4

Nice looking rig!

Too bad about your ESC-

One thing I would do- flip your shock bumpers inside the shock to drop the chassis- makes a ton of difference on the rocks!
funboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Default Stork brought me a snake...

Having a problem with Photobucket, will update with photos in a few minutes. In the meantime can any one suggest an image sharing site besides imageshack or photobucket?

Thanks for the replies.
MasterShake- thanks, It was my first one trying something as far as a design. It was mainly a learning experience. The checker/CF came out way better on the new one.

EmaxxJeremy- I like painting bodies so there will be a lot more, maybe you will like one.

Funboy- Thanks, it should be looking better soon. When the new chassis comes I will be taking the green off of thee remaning links. Everything near the chassis will be bare aluminum and hopefully stuff near or on the axles will be black so everything matches. Oh and the demise of that crappy ESC means a new Mamba max,. Oh and I am not sure what you mean by "shock bupers" but I would definately like the ride height lower. I will have some shorter shocks soon if I can sell some I have off of my wheely king. If not I will put those on with internal springs maybe. I wonder how the sw3 would work with droop suspension.

on to pics and new stuff.

-New Baja bug (meant for E-savage)-
This is the only body my hobby shop had at the moment that I was willing to put on my crawler. I figured what the heck, I really wanted to paint again. So I got it. I used pearl white, sprint white, and indy silver by pactra, and high gloss black I believe its called by Spaztix. This is my first time using anything by spaztix. I was going to use there mirror chrome until I saw the price and I was told that it was really watery and would probably flake off to easy.

What I did use:

I also used grip mat for masking. Most of you might use it in tool boxes. This came from Kroger and my mom uses it in the cabinets and else where. She made me get my own though

Rather cheap and mine was rather large but with a smaller size and the right colors I bet it would look alot like Carbon fiber.

-Painting the body-
As I said, I am using a base of pearl and sprint white from pactra. I was kind of "inspired" by the BMW M3.
I know this hood isnt stock but the roof comes black.
http://www.motorsportcollector.com/0.../MIN18BMW.jpeg
Here it is with a few coats of white:

I then cut the Overspray film off of the roof and hood, and then masked the roof off for safety
since it is a long straight cut that might be prone to lifting.

I sprayed my first coat of black. This stuff comes out pretty fast. It might have went on a little heavier than desired but its not bad.

I then went over it with a brillo pad to help the other layers stick better. As you can see it even goes on glossy.

Second,

...and third coats, nice even coverage.

Then I masked off the hood and roof areas with the grip mat. Make sure that it is firmly in contact with the whole surface to be painted. Some stretching, may be necessary as it was here.

I had to remask it because it wasnt tight. The masking tape lifted the black off of the overspray film ,which worried me slightly.

First coats of Indy silver:

I then let the paint sit and harden a bit before removing the mat.
Before....

After removing overspray film. Pretty sharp lines

I wish I would have painted more black to break up all the white. Maybe I will just go a little heavy with decals from the vendors.
I put on a few from what I had.

Old vs. new bug.

I am not sure which I like more as far as body not paint. I like how the silver one, when cut tapers to a round point at the end when cut but I like the look of the lights when left on. I also like how the end "dove tails" I believe its called but the would be the opposite. I will probably be painting up a grappler soon. More pics and details on my chassis when I get home and install the mamba max. I might be using the upper battery mount on the axle for batteries and the servo. Or theres always this...

Oh yeah, have you seen easy off nearly pop a bag when taking the ano' off os something? It got hot and started squealing. I looked for a good 5 minutes for the source of the sound too.

Didnt look too good when I opened the bag,

But with a little TLC and a brillo pad, came out nice.

More pics and alot more "Tech" when my sw3 comes
hopefully tommorow.

Last edited by cembom; 01-10-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Well Sw3 didnt come yet. I was going to put some Emaxx stock shocks on but I had a problem mounting them and I would have had to change everything over anyways when the new chassis arrives. Not that anyone cares though...