Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: First Ridgecrest Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Post First Ridgecrest Review

Just saw the first official (I think) review of the Ridgecrest. Not overly positive, but decide for yourself.

Axial AX10 Ridgecrest Review « Big Squid RC

Has anyone been able to get their hands on one yet? What's your impression?
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: First Ridgecrest Review

I think my kids would enjoy one of these to bash around the yard with or take on vacation and run around the beach. Actually the more that I think about it I might just part out their scalers for these...

Last edited by brianw; 04-30-2012 at 06:48 AM.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Reading his review makes me think he hasn't ran or worked with any newer Axial kits with how he was talking about the hex hardware and ESC.

It sounds just as promising as just about any other box stock Axial rig.

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Brian did a good comprehensive review to me. I know they have had their hands on wraiths and xr10's so Im pretty sure he was just commenting on certain points for others.

To me the ridgecrest is kind of crawlerking completion and it looks like they tested it as such. Though the review wasnt overly positive, it wasnt overly negative either. They do like to beat the snot out of what they test.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

i have an AX-10 scorpion(with mods) and a nightcrawler(stock).... would this be a good third crawler (family of 3) or will it be more similar to what we have already with the ax-10scorpion?
we have a crawl in process at our house and plan to take them to sites and play.. not comp (yet)
shopteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Axial is being flat out retarded by using course thread self tappers. Same goes for the stupid plastic balls they are using in their rod ends.

How many cents do you think they save per truck by using those? Or, is it the time saved during production/assembly?

There is a fine line between cost cutting, and quality cutting, and they have far crossed that line IMO.

I had to round up a bunch of bolts when I built my Wraith because there was no way I was putting self tappers into the axles or suspension just to have them constantly loosen up.

Maybe I'm just spoiled when my Blitz came RTR with grade 12.9 bolts virtually everywhere.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I had the opportunity to inspect one at a lhs. I liked it. Negatives that come to mind are a VERY flimsy steering link, and the tubular "rock guards" are mounted only to the body. For some reason I thought they would be tied into the chassis and not the body. Positives, it seemed very well assembled. Nothing was loose or had any excessive play. Electronics seemed well placed (to my inexperienced eye at least). Out of the box it had a 20T axial motor and an AE-2 esc. If I was looking for another rc, I would buy one.
PFC FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC FNG View Post
I had the opportunity to inspect one at a lhs. I liked it. Negatives that come to mind are a VERY flimsy steering link, and the tubular "rock guards" are mounted only to the body. For some reason I thought they would be tied into the chassis and not the body. Positives, it seemed very well assembled. Nothing was loose or had any excessive play. Electronics seemed well placed (to my inexperienced eye at least). Out of the box it had a 20T axial motor and an AE-2 esc. If I was looking for another rc, I would buy one.

I think other Rc's like the traxxas summit do the same thing with the bars mounted to the body....its just for looks
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

It was a decent review. i had thought about one for the fact i could bash it ( somewhat ) and also crawl with it. It seems like a nice alternative to light bashing and crawling but i feel with all the plastic i would break it doing the kind of bashing i do.
Hypn0t1q79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Crappy stock motor? No surprise there. Self-loosening hardware? That's what blue loctite is for. I wouldn't let that review scare you off of buying one of these, pretty simple fixes for the most part. Crawlers, even rtr ones, are a little more finicky and delicate than a true basher. You either accept it, or get out of this area of the hobby.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
I wouldn't let that review scare you off of buying one of these, pretty simple fixes for the most part.
I'm getting mine today after work
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

My lhs let me test one out in there back room and tbh its a wraith with ax10 Trans. Just like all the axial rtr its cheap made with plastic same esc motor but a newer servo. Over all if you want a basher that can crawl with a ugly body its great but personally I would get a wraith for the money. Just my two cents but like most any Rc car its fun to drive.
2006Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I bought one a couple days ago (my first crawler) and so far I like it. I haven't had anything come loose after running it for at least 2 hours now over rip-rap rocks at my work and over the woodpile at my house. I have a few Traxxas Slashes which I beat the snot out of but this crawling is a lot of fun.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have one sitting on my desk right now and it doesnt look too bad....no Tx so cant see how this thing does.....
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I posted a quick video of my Ridgecrest on YouTube.

Axial Ridgecrest first run - YouTube
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Not really digging it in RTR form. Having said that, I hope there is a new Bender inspired SW chassis that will be released in addition to the various upgrades they have. Also interested in what some of the vendors will be brewing up for this rig.....in summation, a money pit for the hobbyist and a money maker for Axial and other vendors.
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I'm getting mine today after work
Phhtttt...that was yesterday....where's the pics? lol
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

First Ridgecrest Review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ridgecrest swood74 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 6 05-03-2012 08:22 PM