Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: C*H*U*D's Ridgecrest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
No idea what I'm doing

Default C*H*U*D's Ridgecrest

When I first saw the pictures of the Ridgecrest, I thought it looked kind of cool, but it wasn't for me. The more I looked at it though, the more I started to like it. I started thinking about it, and decided to get one after reading all of the negative comments from people who hadn't even seen one in person yet

After all, who else is coming out with new stuff for us besides Axial? And it's an AX-10...as much as many people don't think it deserves the title, I just know there is a capable crawler somewhere inside of this truck!!

I know, I know...I've read stories about people trying to make Sporty trucks out of Wraiths, and how it's not a good platform but I just have to try for myself.

First thing to do was send Ikaika at The Crawlspace a PM and see if he could get one for me. About a week later it was here. Thanks Ikaika

The first thing I did was solder up a new Dean's plug, grab a 1300 3s and a beer and head outside. First impression is this thing is fun! With the motor and gearing, 3s is a bit much but it can sure launch off of the stump in my yard.

I gave my girlfriend a try and in less than 5 minutes, I had this. She handed me the radio...said, "That was quick"...took my beer and walked inside:

Ok, parts break but I was a bit surprised by this myself. I ran my XR-10 for quite awhile with plastic before upgrading and still run plastic C's on my XR-10 sporty conversion.

So later that night, I found another XR knuckle and bolted it all back up. Ran it for a few minutes in the basement, and got this:

What the?!?! Something had to be wrong. After examining the C, I saw it was blown out at the screw hole. The knuckle is held on with short self tapping screws, and I think this is a mistake. Luckily I had another C from another project, so I bolted it up tonight. This time I used a VP knuckle, and longer M3 screws.

I had to do some mods on the VP knuckle to get it to fit without hitting the wheel.

While I was working on it I decided to lower it by flipping the link/shock mounts at the axle.

Here is a before and after.

Ok, we all know these things aren't going to last long...Here's mine:

The tube work gets hit by the tires, and I'm not really into this being a scaler, so it all had to go. Sorry Axial, I know someone spent a lot of time designing this, but it's not to go on any further with the band. Almost 2oz gone:

I think it looks better, but that's just me:

I said that I was going to comp this, and I still plan to. My first intention was to comp it right out of the box, but I think we know how that would turn out. Instead, I plan to try it with just the few things I've done, and go from there. I'm going to take it out for some crawling tomorrow with my Sporty. I'll take more pictures and a better review.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: C*H*U*D's Ridgecrest

These sre definitely starting to grow on me. Its better wo the tube work.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

To hang with your very well refined sporty, you may want to borrow the wheels and tires from it

Can you lower the body any?

Looking forward to your progress on this one boss!
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post

Can you lower the body any?
One disappointment is the body is already at the lowest position out of the box.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i like it i want one for a back yard basher, as my lcc isent one and my scx honcho dont crawl like this one can. lowered and no tube is only way i can see this going, i hope they didnt cheap out with how its built and what forth from the looks kinda looks like it was easy to break i beat on my honcho and no probs like that what so ever hell not one prob to date and its over a year but anyways lucky you are to have one of the 1st bro keep us updated
jdmguy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
One disappointment is the body is already at the lowest position out of the box.
I fail to believe that YOU can not find a solution to that

Shave the post mounts down a little, hack the posts shorter and drill new holes in them?

Send it to me, I'll figure something out and return it in mostly one piece!

Last edited by DickyT; 05-05-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'm waiting for someone to cut those horrid windows out.

Just the driver and passenger.. but I take it the lexan is not clear under those ridiculous stickers (Silkscreen? stickers? what are those abominations??). I think this body has potential, but it needs either clear (and tinted) windows, or even just holes where those terrible grey stickers are. Heck you coul even cut them out and put some rock screen in there.

Every single time I look at the ridgecrest i think, hmm this body would look awesome with clear lexan windows... I want to buy one just to be the first to try it.

309.99 for something that broke 5 minutes into doing what it was built to do. We appreciate the honest review so far

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 05-05-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
"That was quick"
Bet that's not the first time she said that.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Bet that's not the first time she said that.
Ouch...
Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

Ziiiing....I guess I set myself up for that one

So today was the first real day out on the rocks. I couldn't think of a better place than Johnny Park.

So what are my opinions of this truck?

As a basher:

This truck is 100% fun! It's more manageable on 2s for crawling, with just enough zip to get things going. On 3s, it really comes alive! The tires are stiff enough to allow for some hard sliding without folding, and they have a really cool howl on hard pack. The suspension is still a bit stiff even for bashing, but it seems to work ok. Two thumbs up for the grin factor!

As a crawler:

Well unfortunately, this is a crawler thread and that's where the Ridgcrest falls short. All of the cool things the tires do for making a great basher, is what kills the Ridgecrest as a crawler. I tried for several packs today, and could not find anything that resembled anything close to "grip". The stiff suspension really didn't help either. Fortunately, these are both easy things to fix. In all fairness, this truck did better than what I expected. Most all of the shortcomings came from the tires and lack of weight in the wheels.

I have plans tomorrow to change the tires/wheels, add some weight and lower the body. I wanted to run the body in the stock configuration before hacking this thing, but tomorrow is the day.

Here are some shots from today:

Of course I had to bring my Sporty up for comparison:

Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Great pics Juan

Johnny park is cool, I wish we had something like it here. I like the ride in too!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Good write up man. I appreciate you taking the time to put this together. I'll be interested to see where this goes as a sportsman crawler. Some people comp wheely kings, if you can comp with one of those you can comp with one of these
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Nice job on the write up. Great pic's. Will be watching this.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
RCC Addict

With what you;ve done to it,i like, i want.
Nice write up,so is the motor giving enough fun factor on 2s? , im sure on 3s it will , but soon die tho.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Very nice write up. I want one bad but at the same time I cannot bring myself to buy the ugly thing

Looks good though man
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Do the front tires still rub? It looks real close when the suspension is compressed and the steering maxed out.
Thanks.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipxj View Post
With what you;ve done to it,i like, i want.
Nice write up,so is the motor giving enough fun factor on 2s? , im sure on 3s it will , but soon die tho.
It may be fine if using a BEC with it though.

CHUD it looks 10x better with the extra tubing gone. And you just sold me on one as well. Can't wait to see what kinda chassis you come up with. Maybe a jimmy smith type or Coleworx type inspired chassis. But what ever it is you gotta keep me posted on it though.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Anyone know the wheelbase difference between ridgecrest and wraith?

Never mind I saw the ridgecrest is 12.1" and the wraith is 13.1 or 13.4. Can't remember.

Last edited by donhd04; 05-06-2012 at 07:18 PM.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Do you mind giving the dimensions on the body (LxW). This is currently the major detractor from me purchasing one of these.
nstn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I also just picked one up lastweek. This is my first Axial and from what I can tell, seems to be a great new R/C. Been looking at these for a while but one thing I don't understand. Everyone seems to complain about the body. Who cares? If you don't like it, Change it. Yes the screws do fall out the first couple hours driving it but this is a hobby. Just check them first b4 you roll out the first time. CHUD. great writeup and pics.
juttsvw is offline   Reply With Quote

C*H*U*D's Ridgecrest - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C*H*U*D's Creeper C*H*U*D Venom Creeper 14 09-03-2016 07:24 PM
C*H*U*D's Sporty C*H*U*D Axial AX-10 Scorpion 145 07-26-2016 10:23 PM
C*H*U*D's LCC C*H*U*D Team Losi Comp Crawler 52 03-07-2011 04:02 PM
C*H*U*D's New F-4 Build C*H*U*D Axial AX-10 Scorpion 81 10-28-2010 10:35 AM
mc d's singing MGS511 Chit Chat 2 10-14-2006 04:31 PM