Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: My experience thus far.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My experience thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
EVERY rtr crawler has its problems, and none are made to last indefinitely. People need to realize that. I don't care who makes it, if it comes in a box and all it needs is a battery to make it go, you're gonna break it sooner than you think.

You cannot compare race vehicles to crawlers. I also race and have way less in my sc truck than I do my crawler, but that is how this part of the hobby is.

For all of Axials "problems", they still have the largest aftermarket following. If I had to go out and buy any brand available, chances are it would still be an Axial.
Hey duuuuuuude well said. However do u think it will be a matter of time for they get into short coarse trucks or think they'll stay with crawlers? I wasn't for sure what to think when the exo buggy came out. Thats pretty close to shortcoarse.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
No idea what I'm doing

I think the first thing that should be done is to replace the course thread screws with M3 button heads. I did this on the right side after immediate problems with the left, and it held up.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

I would contact Axial and see what they say...... just my two cents
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #24

I understand these vehicles don't last indefinitely but is 30 mins too much to ask? Lol I like the axials a lot.. I wish I would have bought a more crawler specific vehicle. Maybe the ax 10 or a bully. After a week I know a lot more of what I'm after. I'll get the Ridgecrest where I want it . Then I'm gonna build exactly what I want. Ordering parts today.
Mank0896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #25

So since my last posts I email Axial which in return I recieved Axial aluminum c-hubs and some screws in the mail. Which was really nice. I installed them yesterday. I took the truck out today and went out onto a dirt/gravel road to run the truck. While running the truck I started to hear a horrible grinding/squealing noise, and the truck hardly had any power to it. I got home, took it apart, and found that the pinion was not tightened snugly enough and was sliding back and forth. So now my plastic spur gear is stripped badly and the truck will not run properly.

Lets sum this up! The Axial Ridgecrest was broken upon purchase, Then, right when I got it back, a steering knuckle broke which I replaced. Then the screws holding the new steering knuckles wouldn't hold onto the stock c-hubs because they were stripped from the factory, which Axial/Hobbico replaced. Now I have a stripped spur gear.

Who ever put this truck together did not do a good job.

Think twice before buying this truck.

Last edited by Juicebag31; 06-14-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Juicebag31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #26
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mank0896 View Post
After a week I know a lot more of what I'm after.
this is why we're always telling people to read the boards so they can make an informed decision... but it almost never happens... and then you end up with a thread like this one.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

I think it's a great truck, mine came with the aluminum c-hubs installed. This is a hobby, take a deep breath and relax.
remmuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I just re-read your first post and it does seem you're new to hobby grade rc's... Spur/pinion problems are the least of your worries in some cases and are U.O.E. usually.

Put it up for sale if you're that unhappy with it. It'll sell
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Just stick with it, I had the same issues with my wraith when I brought it home. I put in better screws in with some shoe goo to hold them in. I didnt have a problem after that. My buddy has a wraith as well and his barrel rolls off the top of a 35-40 foot sand bank daily and never breaks. I know its a wraith but its the same axles. Stick with it, and your frustration will soon become smiles.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

When i was new to the crawling scene, i had stuff breaking all the time! I was fed up with it. Until someone pointed out that you cannot assume that anything rtr was put together correctly.

The best advice is download the manual, tear it completely down and rebuild. Screws will be loss. And when i ran the rig right out of the box i destroyed my tranny. this was due to a loose screw!

Be patient. You will find that 90% of any rig being built on this site has a mod or two done to it. There is no reason the Ridgecrest wouldn't either!!

Welcome to the addiction!!
KnoJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #31

Even thought my Ridgecrest has had so many issues, I still have to hand it to Axial! I may not buy another Axial product, but they have replaced every broken part, even the spur gear.
Juicebag31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #32
RCC Addict

As everyone said, you need to just stick with it. The reason for hobby grade RC is so you can fix them. Granted, they might break a bit too easy for some parts, some cheap mods (some even free) will go a long way.

RC really picked back up the last couple years. I remember back in the early 90's when I started racing it was exactly the same. Now we just have faster cars with better batteries.

Read the forums and figure it out and another thing, driving style and skill also help a ton with broken parts. You may not think it does, but you'll figure out how to drive to not break your truck.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

I read about some of the problems before I bought, and replaced the c-hub screws right out of the box. I went through the whole rig and checked the bolts. From what I've learned, the ridgecrest has fastener problems that need to be fixed. Replace all the screws on the axles. All of them. If you do this, and add some ball bearings to the servo, it won't break. I think it's funny that axial spent so much time to create tuff parts, just to have crappy chinese screws ruin the engineering. I've heard of arial manlifts falling right off a truck because the fastener company screwed up the plating process on the studs.

Here's a screw from my ridgecrest. I measured the threads on the screws and they are about 1.5mm short of the end of the screw. On top of that, the screws are only 9.7mm long. The 10mm screws are really only 8.2 mm screws. It's missing almost two complete threads that should be in the plastic, resulting in the fasteners stripping out.

I replaced a lot of my screws with m3 x .5 screws and have had no problems. Actually, this truck is very tough with good fasteners holding it together. I do back flips off my fence for fun, and have driven straight into solid objects without breakage. Anything in axials videos, mine will do. Just throw some bearings in your servo, and a 17-18 tooth pinion, and you have one tough truck. $30 in easy mods.
project_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #34

Mine was missing outer bearing in hub had couple stripd screws from factory. Thinkn sum quality controle needs be stepd up. I had quiet a few rtr and so far this first had problem with. I am gona take mine apart just make sure nothing else left out and set up properly. I bought a wkeely king when 4wd when was realeast geard down streachd it out and beat crap outa it and still crawling. Sure hope can git ridge crest straightend out cuz it was blast till wheel was bout break off. axial sending bearings in mail. Cant wait to trash and bash it before start up grades.
MAKRodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

I bought an SCX10 Honcho RTR 6 months ago. The only thing I've found that wasn't tip-top shape was that the rear pinion bearing for the rear axle was missing. Even then it didn't have a single problem, I just happened to notice that it was missing.
Fingonunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #36

Well got to say axial support top notch in my book. They sent enuf bearings to about replace all of them. Now just got git sum fine thread screws to replace what stripd out . But for now lock tite super glue git me by. Unfortunatly im about have knee replacement so have wait couple weeks to try and break it. In mean while gona order sum bead locks so put my HB sedona on it .
Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #37

"RTR" is ready to repair!!!!! I bought the RTR wraith and have a little over $1200 into it (don't ask where but I have the wallet bruises to prove it) not including the original price....a little tip; research before purchase... My son has 3 rc's and he researched all of them way befor he dropped a single dime on them, just my 2 cents
LAIDBACKLINNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #38

Herd that got parts fixd it and broke it didnt even git run bttery dead. Guess time sell kidney to git this bi@#% up to lvel. Think rtr cheap way git up and runing with out dropn grand but proven wrong again. Gota love the game to play though.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Just my 2 cents.....
I have or had almost every Axial rig, from RTR to Kit versions. The RTR's honestly are of a high quality IMO. Pretty good servo (AS-2), Very good ESC (AE-2), OK Radio and reciever (FlySky made). Yes I have spent a good chunk of change on my rigs upgrading and or changing them to my liking but all in all AXIAL produces a good product for the consumer regardless of experience.

The RidgeCrest I recently picked up for my son had a few screws missing.... no big deal. I like to go over my rigs before beating on them anyways. I flipped the shock and link mounts on front and rear which lowered it a good bit and installed 2.2 Axial Rocksters with PitBull RockBeasts. With STOCK electronics and no other upgrades it actually runs VERY well. Anyone who knows me, knows I really beat on my trucks.... and I mean BEAT on them til they break. I have taken my RidgeCrest out 2 times now for a good run and it has handled really well and has not broken a single part which is very surprising. Im not saying that everyone else has had good luck or is happy with thiers, but I am very happy with mine and will be making it bulletproof for my son so when we go run he doesnt have to worry about anything....just balls to the wall.

I will treat the RidgeCrest like my Wraith...... with money and a heavy throttle finger. Remember its a hobby to be enjoyed, if you dont enjoy it whats the point.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #40
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKRodz View Post
Herd that got parts fixd it and broke it didnt even git run bttery dead. Guess time sell kidney to git this bi@#% up to lvel. Think rtr cheap way git up and runing with out dropn grand but proven wrong again. Gota love the game to play though.

Wtf did you just say?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote

My experience thus far. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me pick please - experience is a plus. O.C.D. Tires and Wheels 9 07-22-2008 07:23 PM
Does anyone have any experience with.... kaetwo General Scale Talk 4 07-16-2008 11:05 AM
Anyone else experience this? ecoli Electronics 7 04-16-2008 04:59 PM
My first Goliath experience fetish General Crawlers 21 08-12-2007 07:55 PM
my 1:18 experience dhoffroad General Crawlers 15 01-26-2006 10:53 PM