Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: Motor upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

Arrow Motor upgrade

I took my ridgecrest out for some crawling today and smoke started pouring out of the body and it was from the motor. The motor still runs but i was thinking it may be time to upgrade to a stronger motor. What is a good budget trail/crawling motor? Will the ridgecrest handle a higher turn motor?
nickel417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Motor upgrade

Just ordered a holmes torquemaster 35t for mine. Whatever ya get, order some pinions and gear it down some, thats why the stock motor dies so fast
stricker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

The stock gearing will put a strain on any motor if crawling is your intent. I'm currently running a 35T Holmes Torquemaster Expert, but I also swapped the stock 20t pinion for a 14t. I'm running 3s and it crawls well, but still has plenty of snap. I plan to swap the pinion to a 13t soon though.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #4

Anyone have any experience with the axial upgrade motors?
nickel417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

the axial 20T and 27T motors are good, but as mentioned I have found they both work better with conservative gearing. I dropped my ridgecrest to an 18T pinion when using the 20T motor....it had better low end control.

I have a tekin 35T motor now and I love it. It seems to not draw too much current and can be geared down for ultimate torque or higher if I want to go fast. As suggested above, I pretty much just keep a stash of pinion gears to play around and find what is fun.

Also in my experience the higher turn motors get waaaay better run time, so I would rather run a high turn motor "geared up" for speed rather than a low turn motor "geared down" for torque. However I played with a 55T motor briefly and I am done with those (too boring for me and I don't rock crawl nearly as much as trailing).

Best part about brushed motors is they're cheap so can swap 'em around like tires.
-RC Tomato
RC_Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

My stock motor overheats pretty easily. Any recommended brands of pinion gears you guys use?
project_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
The stock gearing will put a strain on any motor if crawling is your intent. I'm currently running a 35T Holmes Torquemaster Expert, but I also swapped the stock 20t pinion for a 14t. I'm running 3s and it crawls well, but still has plenty of snap. I plan to swap the pinion to a 13t soon though.
Yes, I love 3s and 21T Titan 550 motor, geared 14/56 with 32 pitch gears on my Wraith. 22/87 in 48 pitch gears would be good for a basher, maybe even go up another tooth if there is adjustment room on Ridgecrest, if not use a smaller spur gear or go 32p.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_mayhem View Post
My stock motor overheats pretty easily. Any recommended brands of pinion gears you guys use?
Losi are very nice quality or Robinson Racing, buy the high quality steel gears as they last much longer and run quieter than aluminum and/or cheapies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Tomato View Post
the axial 20T and 27T motors are good, but as mentioned I have found they both work better with conservative gearing. I dropped my ridgecrest to an 18T pinion when using the 20T motor....it had better low end control.

I have a tekin 35T motor now and I love it. It seems to not draw too much current and can be geared down for ultimate torque or higher if I want to go fast. As suggested above, I pretty much just keep a stash of pinion gears to play around and find what is fun.

Also in my experience the higher turn motors get waaaay better run time, so I would rather run a high turn motor "geared up" for speed rather than a low turn motor "geared down" for torque. However I played with a 55T motor briefly and I am done with those (too boring for me and I don't rock crawl nearly as much as trailing).

Best part about brushed motors is they're cheap so can swap 'em around like tires.
-RC Tomato

Yes, great way to put it.

Last edited by Natedog; 06-19-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motor upgrade sick86burban Electronics 1 02-21-2012 12:29 AM
motor upgrade tyler2010 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 41 10-17-2011 07:52 AM
Motor upgrade Pappy Electronics 5 10-17-2010 03:31 PM
Motor upgrade gmcdad Newbie General 2 09-28-2010 12:11 PM
motor upgrade for 7.2v? STANG KILLA SS Duratrax Cliff Climber 3 10-05-2009 11:19 AM