Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: whos got the suicide switch steering??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: whos got the suicide switch steering??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozrovr View Post
Suicide steering would work correctly if the servo was in the center of the axle.
It wouldn't even work correctly then. The arms will still turn in different arcs....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
It wouldn't even work correctly then. The arms will still turn in different arcs....
If using a stock style servo horn yeah. You could pull it off with a round horn, but the point is moot.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You could pull it off with a round horn...
Nah....not even then. Only if the knuckles didn't move forward or backward WRT the horn as they cycled.

We just don't really see the effects on these trucks with a lot of caster and the KPI...
Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #24
RCC Addict

pretty simple to make so i did.. i see what you mean.. seems to steer more one way then the other.... going back to stock.. want to upgrade it soon.. its real weak
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #25

I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or the other, the way I set up my truck works for me and the places I like to play. If something else works better for you then more power to you, enjoy it The best thing about this whole site is seeing all the different ways folks build rigs. I'm running a 400plus inch/ounce servo, a JR DS8711, plus a custom made (see wicked bent) servo arm. I was able to adjust my end points to arrive at lock to lock steering, I do have lots of grief with my still stock dogbone axles binding up, but CVDs are on order and I hope that will solve that.http://

Last edited by Countryhandyman; 07-30-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Countryhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #26
20K Club

Quote:
Search the wraith section and read on this. There's a reason guys switch back. Suicide steering would work correctly if the servo was in the center of the axle. Since it is offset it gives you different steering geometry depending on if you're steering left or right. Its not incapacitating, but many of the mods we do on rigs offer minute improvements ...why do a mod that makes minute detraction from performance?
Centered or not this is a bad idea. If the servo moved linearly along the length then it would be ok. However with the servo swinging in an arc it makes uneven throw.

Terrible setup.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #27
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Centered or not this is a bad idea. If the servo moved linearly along the length then it would be ok. However with the servo swinging in an arc it makes uneven throw.

Terrible setup.
I'm not trying to throw more fuel on the fire, but I have also found this setup to be inferior to a tie rod/drag link setup. There was a thread not long ago in the AX-10 section about this. I was willing to give this setup another go because of all the positive comments, but time commitments forced me to go with what I had already tested...This setup just did not work for me compared to a Tie-rod/drag link setup.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Yep, exactly. Having things (servo horn and knuckles) moving in arcs that are perpendicular (actually, not parallel) to one another is what causes the problems with this type of setup...
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #29
No idea what I'm doing

With things moving around in different arcs like that, I felt it made the front wheels feel very "disconnected" from each other. Hard to explain but it made the steering feel unpredictable to me.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1009cucv View Post
seems like a good idea and all.. but 35 bucks.. vypr, did you buy the kit or make your own?

I bought the kit. Came with everything. Bought vanquish c hubs and knuckles. I bought the ax30780 axles and I have the same steering as their house rig. Zero binding issues. I love it. Works awesome. No complaints at all.

One guy above said this kind of steering is useless and has nothing but problems. What problems were you having. You must have installed it backwards or wrong. Because my buddies and myself have run this setup on our rigs for over 8 months and not a single issue.
vypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vypr View Post
One guy above said this kind of steering is useless and has nothing but problems. What problems were you having. You must have installed it backwards or wrong. Because my buddies and myself have run this setup on our rigs for over 8 months and not a single issue.
I dont know who you are referring to, but they were probably not talking about any mechanical failure issues with this steering setup...mostly just the problems that it introduces into the steering cycle.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #32
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Sure, this steering setup will turn your front wheels, but it is not a very efficient design. This type of setup will only work well if the servo is mounted vertically, with the horn not only parallel to the knuckles, it also needs match the throw of the knuckles too, (the distance from the kingpin to where the rod end is mounted should be the same as the servo's splined output to the rodend mounting point on the horn) AND be mounted to match any clocking angle the knuckles are set at. The servo horn would also need to be centered between the knuckles. The more the angles of the steering rods change in relation to the servo and knuckle throw, the less efficient the steering becomes.

If you look at this gentleman's build, he has the right idea for good steering for these axles: BullFrogRC's 2.2S Hybrid

Last edited by gunnar; 08-01-2012 at 09:39 AM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #33
RCC Addict

thanks for the link.. i like his steering way more..
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #34
Rock Stacker

i guess if harley says it sucks then it must be true.... HA!
TrailDevastator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

i love my setup.. works even better with aluminum knuckles and c-hubs. good thrust.. upgraded the servo too and the arm when i did it.
shopteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

whos got the suicide switch steering?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith suicide steering Spence700 Axial Wraith 10 06-03-2012 12:29 AM
suicide switch ezee Axial Wraith 4 02-14-2012 04:34 PM
Suicide Switch Steering ScaleFreak93 Axial Wraith 26 10-08-2011 09:45 PM
suicide mission... nosyajg HPI Wheely King 1 09-11-2011 11:55 PM
suicide sally theshimonator Chit Chat 5 08-04-2007 09:11 AM