Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: my Ridgecrest... (WIP)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default my Ridgecrest... (WIP)

Hey All,
Here is my Axial Ridgecrest. This is my second Axial, my first is an SCX10, an awesome truck. I bought the AX10 specifically to turn it into a crawler. It's seen some use, but the limitations I read about were evident, though I never broke any parts on it, with some pretty severe abuse - it's pretty well built.

So here's a timeline of what I've done so far;

1) swap the battery and electronics - so simple and cheap the extension was $ 5.00

2) reverse the shock mounts to lower the body - a real cheap mod - FREE

3) replaced the U & L links, steering link and tie rod, lockouts, C hubs and knuckles with sweet VP parts

4) replaced the servo - twenty minutes into a run the servo was getting sluggish - I stopped and checked it out - VERY hot to the touch - got a HiTec

5) extra tasty VP wheels and HB rover tires!

6) I've got a 14T pinion I'm going to install and check the transmission thoroughly

That's it for now...
Attached Images

doc.hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: my Ridgecrest... (WIP)

Very nice.... looks really good. Nice job man. Ill be doing some of the same for my sons rig.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #3

how good does it flex?
ridgecrest78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Here's a snap of the flex - not too shabby I'd say

Hopefully I'll get out and do some crawling today at lunch
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

Very nice, almost identical to my plans.
Expert Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Hey all,
Just a quick update... I've installed a set of beef tubes (a BIG thanks to Dan) - they're awesome!

I also modified the driveshafts using Juan's method - a 3/16th alum. rod set with epoxy. Not only does it provide strength it also adds a little more heft down low.

Since I was dismantling the AX10 I figured I'd replace the stock 20P with a 14.

Overall I'd rate this a great RC - yes I've dumped some ducks into it, mostly to avoid breakage (I've only blown the servo) that others have mentioned.

I'm going to try and shoot some video (and stills) of where I've been cutting my teeth with this.

That's all for now folks!

Last edited by doc.hamilton; 09-13-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.hamilton View Post
- yes I've dumped some ducks into it
Looking good

And don't worry....everyone dumps a lot of ducks into their rigs eventually. It's the nature of the beast. Or in this case, waterfowl.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Something I regret is not weighing it prior to mods. It's incredible how heavy it feels with the axle & driveshaft mods...

Cheers,
Todd
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Ok, so no pictures or vids, yet. When driving it yesterday, it seemed real tourqe-ky (pretty sure that's NOT a word!) Anyone else experienced this? Particularly when going forward the AX10 seems to twist - like there's more power to one side. This only started after I put in the 14P. Any ideas as to what this may be or what's causing this?

Just as an aside, I've ordered the Axial under/over beveled gear sets...

Cheers,
Todd
Old 09-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

So some good news for me! I thought the weekend would be shot - heading to an out of town wedding and spending time with one of our twins (today they turn 22 - YIKES)... To get ready for the wedding my wife and daughter are going to the salon for hair, nails, etc. That means I have FOUR hours to do nothing but run my RC's! I just hope the weather stays nice. If it's rotten it'll just be the SCX10 (water resistant)

Cheers,
Todd
Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Another update...
So I ran the RC on Fri afternoon. After about 30 mins of some pretty hard driving, the engine was not doing well. It was giving off an electric burning odor - I thought, great, I've toasted the motor. Well I dismantled the drivetrain this evening and discovered that the "tourqey" driving was caused by the 14P binding against the spur gear. I know, I know, I should have checked the gears better before assembling everything together, so now it's humming along nicely. Rain is in the forecast for Tues but Wed looks great!

Wish me luck everyone!

Cheers
Todd
Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Here's a snap from Friday afternoon. It's somewhat difficult to tell but the terrain here is very hilly. The rocks are part of a stream recovery project at the local park where I drive my RC's. Usually I walk the trails, albeit at a quick pace with my SCX10. The trail network is pretty amazing, lots of fun.

So this is after my run and the engine was not doing to well. But fun none the less.

Cheers,
Todd
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Another day another $...

And so the upgrades continue - I'm going to install the Axial HD gears - overdrive front, underdrive rear for that drag effect (Thanks to EVOL for his awesome YouTube video for the inspiration). And, VP's diff covers (not pictured)

I'm becoming pretty adept at the tear down rebuild process, or as my wife likes to say MADNESS
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Looking good man, keep it up.
Kmmac1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Thanks Kmmac1705!

Well folks I got to crawl for an about an hour at lunch today, and this much I can say for certain. I need practice. Lots and lots of practice. I seem to specialize in rolling the RC. Not completely over, just onto it's roof.

On the mod side, I have decided to upgrade my servo to the Hitec 7950 - which means I need to install a CC BEC as well. AND, I've decided to mod the bod... not to the extreme that Juan was planning on doing, just something simple like what Bender did to his front end. Just a little trim

Cheers,
T
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Chassis looks really good with the upgrades. Glad to hear you're happy with the Ridgecrest.
jmecmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

OK - latest update - mods etc...

So I've upgraded my servo, again, to the HiTec 7950. WOW, what a servo, massive torque. Which has lead to another problem - the case of the runaway servo. After about 10 to 15 mins runtime, I have to stop and tighten the servo mount and the screws for the servo mount. Very frustrating.

So along with the servo I also added a CC BEC. This has led to my rats nest of a wiring job, as the pics will show. Zip ties have seemingly become a good friend of mine.

Then I chopped up the body... talk about being aerodynamic jk. It's still just like a turtle - every time I roll it, it just lays on it's roof. So the mods were meant to help with it's approach angles (which it has) but I still think a different body would help when I roll it. Primarily I'm thinking of getting a RX10 body.

Well that should about cover the most recent developments on my Ridgecrest - thanks to everyone for watching, responding and giving me timely advice and suggestions!

Cheers,
Todd
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

My Ridgecrest - Now with 3wheel drive!!!

The principle contribution to this was me being goofy and installing M3x10 then M3x8 screws - I did remove them after noticing the binding issues on the axle shafts, but the damage had already been done.

So there I was, spending my lunch hour (or two) crawling up my favorite dry creek bed. I was doing quite well, getting out of jams that in the past would have stymied my old servo. (the HiTec 7950 is THE bomb!) So after one particularly tough spot, that's when I noticed it pulling to one side but it still made the climb!

Back at the ranch, er, I mean van, I dis-assembled the axle and sure enough, the short axle shaft was in two pieces and no amount of duct tape or elmers would fix it Another lesson learned - though I'm certain this would have happened at some point as others have snapped theirs...

Replacement VP VVD's have been ordered!

I am curious though as to how much torque was needed to do this - anyone out there know this? There's probably some matha-manatical something or other to conjure that up...

On to the pics!
Attached Images

Last edited by doc.hamilton; 11-09-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: spelling error!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Damn! better check mine..did the same screw upgrade!lol
HONCHO22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

My dog bones did the same. I upgraded to the Axial cv axles and saved my 54 dollars versus the vp cvs. The steering seemed to be the area that benefitted the most from the swap, and I have an upgraded servo!
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote

my Ridgecrest... (WIP) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just a glimpse at my dream wip! 17dean Axial SCX-10 7 01-13-2012 07:31 AM
JK Unlimited Build (WIP) BrianP 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 10-15-2011 07:01 PM
my new wip (nsfdu) hairba11 Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 31 08-12-2007 12:03 PM
My TLT crawler WIP egdinger Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 01-18-2005 06:55 PM