Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: Considering a Ridgecrest...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #1

Default Considering a Ridgecrest...

Have a Honcho,was looking at a Wraith 'til i noticed this model also.Any major reason to go with one or the other?I like the looks of both,so either one will work as far as that.The Crest seems to be cheaper,what are the overall thoughts on it???
CTPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Ill give you my opinion having owned and still do the Wraith and RidgeCrest.

I loved the Ridge right away since it was very versital in that with minor mod to stock form it could handle very well on the rocks and trails. Pretty good stock electronics with AE-2 esc and AS-2 servo and 2.4 radio system. Although i have torn my Ridge apart to build an SCX10 with Wraith axles. My son and I both really enjoyed the Ridge. It was a good choice for a first rig for him. Now he wants bigger and better ( My Wraith ).

Value in perspective.....
Wraith axles = 100+ dollars
2.2 Ripsaws on 2.2 wheels 35 dollars
AE-2 ESC = 50+ dollars
2.4 Radio system = 40-50 dollars
AS-2 Servo = 25+ dollars
Body =20-25 dollars..

So basically if you bought one and wanted to part it out you wouldn't be at a loss really. Ts a good purchase for value. Almost 300 dollars in parts alone that can be sold and or used in other projects.

Don't get me wrong in the end i would rather my Wraith but..... For the cost per value being i think there is a 150 dollar difference between both RTRs depending on budget it may be your deciding factor. Good luck.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #3

Default Re: Considering a Ridgecrest...

Thanks,any other opinions would be great also!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #4

I bought a ridgecrest as my first crawler and i love the thing. That being said i dont have alot of others to compare it to. Price was my biggest deciding factor, however i also chose the crest because i wanted a more comp style rig vs a scaler. So id say it kinda depends on what path you want to go down with your build.
crawlflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

I think it really depends on what you want to do with the truck.

You mentioned you had a Honcho...do you prefer to stay on the scale side of things? If so, the Wraith might be better, although you are limited to the looks of the Wraith as it comes. If you like Lexan bodies, there are many scale bodies that can be mounted onto the Ridgecrest, allowing you to change the look pretty easily.

If you wanted to go more towards the comp side of things, the Ridgecrest is a good start. Again, a comp body is pretty easy to mount allowing you to toss on some new tires, do a quick gearing change and hit a local 2.2s or Sporty comp. The stock electronics won't get you too far, but they will let you get a feel for what it's like to comp.

I don't have a Wraith so I can't really do a comparison, but I really enjoy my Ridgecrest. It's no longer stock, but is by far one of my favorite trucks. I've heard many people say the same thing about their Wriaths though, so I really don't think you can wrong with either.

Good luck in your decision, and welcome to RCC
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

I just recently got a Ridgecrest, and i'm pretty happy with it.

Wasn't sure if i wanted a basher or crawler, and from reading through these forums, the Ridgecrest is a great starting point to be adapted for either.

Spare/tune up parts seem to be readily available due to interchangable parts with existing Axial models, and if you read up on Bender's excellent guide, you can tweak the stock chassis to your hearts content without spending a penny.

Just an opinion from an old fart who hasnt properly done RC for a good while.
kakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #7

Well i picked one up today for a killer deal!Was thinking of installing a Velineon system maybe.Also,are any of the battery positions better than others?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPATRIOT View Post
...Also,are any of the battery positions better than others?
As low as possible! This of course depends on what size battery you get, and what kind of run times you expect. Personally I don't care too much about long run times. I don't mind swapping batteries out, and would rather have several small batteries than one big 4,000 stuck way up high, because there is no place else to put it.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #9

I run 2S 5K lipos.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I recently bought a Gens Ace 2s4000 for my Ridgecrest and it works great. Much lighter than the Sky Lipo hard cases I run in my short course trucks.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well i picked one up today for a killer deal!Was thinking of installing a Velineon system maybe.Also,are any of the battery positions better than others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
As low as possible! This of course depends on what size battery you get, and what kind of run times you expect.
Agreed. The lower the better.

Quote:
I run 2S 5K lipos.
Sounds like you're near the 280-320g range. Lower the better for sure. I still run the stock location in my Honcho, but it also has 2.2s on it so the stance helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
I recently bought a Gens Ace 2s4000 for my Ridgecrest and it works great. Much lighter than the Sky Lipo hard cases I run in my short course trucks.
Gens Ace LiPos rock. They are my personal favorite. I have around 10 of them now...

Fink
Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
I run 2S 5K lipos.
That's a big battery. You'll probably have a hard time finding a good place to put it other than up high on the stock battery tray. I run 4s, 500's but it's strictly a comp truck, and I carry the battery between the front upper links.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #13

i love my Ridgecrest. works great out of the box and with some minor cheap and free mods it handles and climbs even better.
for me the Wraith is for higher speed bashing, stable at speed but don't climb as well as Ridgecrest. I had 2 Wraiths, now i don't own any.
Although mine has been converted to a 1.9, it is still my favorite all around car.

hope this helps.
sidewindr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I run my traxxas 2s 4000mah in stock location. With no problems. I get an hour run time.
Kmmac1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

In my experience with the Ridgecrest, do the cheap mods first. Swap the battery tray and electronics, then rotate the shock/lower link mounts. Both of these mods will improve the handling significantly. Next, replace ALL of the button head screws for your c-hubs, steer knuckles and lockouts with M3x8mm machine screws. These seem to be a weak breaking point.

From there the sky's (your wallet) the limit. Vanquish products are what I've chosen; knux, c-hubs, lockouts, links, wheels, servo armor...

Welcome to RCC and good luck!

Cheers,
T
doc.hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #16

Would the chassis lowering be advised for an "all purpose" rig or more for a crawler???
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #17

If you lower the chassis, it'll be better for all purpose because it won't flip on high speed cornering, etc. for crawling, lowering the weight or moving it forward is more crucial to maintain forward traction when climbing steep rocks or getting up ledges. However, too low of a crawler and you'll get high centered on all kinds of stuff and its somewhat pf a hassle. Just depends where you drive really.
djp087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #18

Just spent about an hour and a half in the woods.I really like the ground clearence.May try moving the battery forward and see how i like it.I think i'll keep the ride height alone for now.SUPER fun woods rig!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #19

That's cool, if you can drive it where you want and it works, drive it til it breaks then replace stuff! I got mine already modded pretty well but it's still at stock height with stock springs and it crawls with wayy nicer builds. Keep up the updates!
djp087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

I was just wondering if its anything like the wraith i was just wondering which is better
thunder-dumpling is offline   Reply With Quote

Considering a Ridgecrest... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got my Ridgecrest. NewboySF Axial AX10 2nd-gen 12 10-09-2012 11:06 PM
well i think i want a ridgecrest... SuperMotoGuy712 Newbie General 3 10-09-2012 09:57 PM
My new Ridgecrest MudHoncho Axial AX10 2nd-gen 64 10-03-2012 03:59 PM
XJ Ridgecrest Countryhandyman Axial AX10 2nd-gen 6 07-30-2012 06:12 PM