Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: New to RC and addicted to crawling already (Running a Deadbolt)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #1

Talking New to RC and addicted to crawling already (Running a Deadbolt)

New to this forum and RC's in general. First buy was a RS10xt for someone else... then I found a Deadbolt cheap at the LHS... I have now caught the mod addiction and work on it 10x the time I actually run it

So Far I have done the basics, flipped shock mounts, moved battery up front, changed some mounting points for personal preference, 60T motor, etc.

When the snow started flying here in Ohio the snow chains were a must

I have had a few repairs Ran it into the steps in the basement day one (it was way faster than I expected stock) and broke a shock and servo horn, so I am running aluminum Venom's with 30wt oil, new servo horn is on the way.

New servo is on the way with the new horn even though the stock one is still okay.

Next up is to get some weights on the axles just not sure how to go about it yet. Thinking about making a servo mount / axle support block from brass for a trick look (dad is a machinist so he would actually make it I would be there for moral support ). Maybe use the existing block as a mount for some plates if that is too tricky.

Then I want to upgrade the steering arms (just for looks it steers good enough for me). New c-hubs and knuckles as I suspect the weight may kill them.

Then it's time for cosmetics: Led lighting, Ford truck body, scale accessory packs, winch, and so many more when the wallet has some padding!!

Any suggestions are welcome though, I need all the help I can get and this forum has already helped SO much!!
dannyboyjdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New to RC and addicted to crawling already (Running a Deadbolt)

Welcome to the forum! Browse through this section and you'll get an idea on what to upgrade, and the pictures thread for different body options. I usually upgrade parts when the stock ones break. Have fun and watch your wallet drain quickly!
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Welcome,I'm a new guy that's addicted as well!!!!what servo are you gonna put on your deadbolt?I'm currently waiting for some goodies to upgrade my new Ridgecrest.
503dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I run the Savox 1230 and it still kills after almost a year of abuse. (500 oz of torque)!

Savox SA-1230SG Monster Torque Coreless Steel Gear Digital Servo
Attached Images

Last edited by Norton; 02-05-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #5

I am one of the cheapskates, just got a couple MG996 for starters/bashing ($7 ea.). I figure I can pass them on to the kiddo's RS10 when it eats the next servo.

Already have a wish list saved and ready to take to my LHS when I start breaking stuff

Are there any stock parts left on there Norton? That thing is beast!! What tires are those?

I want to do a Ford super duty scaler as my next rig!!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The tires are Panther 5.4 Leopards and the only things left stock are the electronics box and the battery tray. LOL.

1st pic, when it was clean.
2nd pic, out bashing it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Norton; 02-05-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #7

If you are looking for new tires you can get beadlock wheels and use stick on lead weights inside the wheels so you don't see them. Can add or take out weight and change tires easily with the beadlocks. I have had up to 7oz weight in each front tire and haven't had issues with the stock c hubs or knuckles.
Fergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #8

For sure the next big purchase will be aluminum bead locks and tires, from what I have read the additional weight has a HUGE impact on capability. I know from an ATV perspective tires are the #1 item for performance. Doesn't matter how much speed or torque if you can't get it to the ground and point it in the right direction.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #9

Angry Re: New to RC and addicted to crawling already (Running a Deadbolt)

Smoked the ESC running it in the snow today (about 6 inches deep)
It actually caught fire, so I think it is safe to throw it in the trash
Any suggestions on a waterproof replacement?
I am starting the thread combing now

Not sure yet if I toasted the receiver or any other parts yet.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The only way to go! Holmes Hobbies LLC
Old 02-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #11

Out of stock

What about the sidewinder 3? In stock and it looks to have some good reviews
Old 02-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
RCC Addict

The Sidewinder V3 is for brush-less motors I believe.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I have never ordered from this site but: Robot MarketPlace - Holmes Hobbies Waterproof TorqueMaster BR-XL
Old 02-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #14

SWEET!!!!!!!! Thanks Norton!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

If i'm not mistaken the Sidewinder3 speed can be wired for a brushed motor. Dont quote me on this but, I believe you wire the 2 outer most wires to the brushed motor, and leave the middle wire off and insulate it off. However, the Holmes Hobbies BRXL Waterproof has a higher current and voltage BEC. As well as can run up to 6s lipo batteries. Where as the sidewinder3 only can handle up to 3s Lipo. As soon as my AE-2 speedo burns out in my Deadbolt I'll be replacing it with a H.H. BRXL.
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #16

Not quite up for the effort of Lipo's yet, just running for fun so NiMh is doing great (getting over an hour from 1 5000 Mah 7.2V with the Atomik 60T motor, little longer yet with the stock 20T).

Looks like I can get another AE-2 for about $40, or save up and get the HH around $110... Definitely want the HH and then look at higher voltage batteries, but don't wanna wait to scrounge up the dough. Off to ebay for in hopes of a cheap take off to hold me over!!!

Monty Python says "And now for something completely different"... Anyone run Lithium Ions? Are they just as maintenance heavy as LiPo?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Do NOT order from Robot Marketplace, I eventually got most of my stuff. Parts missing from bag, their site said in stock but they were out and they were in the midst of ordering for themselves before I canceled part of the order. Just get a brxl from holmes directly.

Yes the sidewinder can be programmed for brushed mode. Use a castlelink to program and omit the center white wire for the motor.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #18

Thanks guys,
I think I have the $$ to go sidewinder and castle link or Holmes. I managed to sell an old ATV snow plow I had stashed in the garage
Old 02-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #19

So changed my mind again and went budget friendlier with a RC4wd Outcry with built in BEC. Seems like it had good reviews and will allow me to go higher cell Nimh as I am still really nervous about the Lipo batteries.

I really want to get some weight down low so some bead locks are next on my wish list.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #20

So the Rc4wd Esc is working killer!!! The brake is a bit intense, it pulls nosey's on every stop with the 20T motor and 14T pinion setup in (used this for snow and mud )

Getting the 60T back in soon...

but first have to take care of the next parts that failed the servo (i think I did this when I was trying to waterproof it ). also managed to strip the transmission gears when it was in a bind.

Already had the new servo on the shelf, but I am not sure where to get new transmission gears (I want steel if possible) Any suggestions?

Tags
ax10, deadbolt, newbie, noob, ridgecrest

New to RC and addicted to crawling already (Running a Deadbolt) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/6th G.I. Joe Jeep - trail running and mild crawling... Big Mike Scale Videos! 6 06-02-2012 09:35 PM
My SCX-10 running on the beach and crawling some slick rocks Kobier Videos! 11 03-22-2012 08:36 AM
Bringing in the New Year today! Trail running/Crawling pics 56k warning RPP Hobby Chit Chat 13 01-02-2008 08:48 PM
Addicted!!! truegaintfree Chit Chat 20 08-06-2007 07:23 AM
Anyone else still running IFS/IRS for crawling? CrawlinForLife Traxxas Crawlers 3 02-03-2005 03:19 PM