Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: Crawler Innovations "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda" 2.2 Unlimited / Manufacturers Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Crawler Innovations "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda" 2.2 Unlimited / Manufacturers Class

There is a very long story associated with this rig and I will get to it. I have finally begun to pull parts from this rig in order to feed to other rigs in the C.I. garage . Namely the servos from this rig are now in the 8x8 Crawler Hauler. I suspect other parts are going to be removed soon and I wanted to post it's story before it gets even more dusty and pillaged.

Specs as pictured:
T1E Proto Type 2.2 Unlimited Bodyless Chassis
AR60 Axles (wraith & ridgecrest)
Vp aluminum case in front,
VP C's & VP XR Knuckles in front
Plastic case rear with VP C's & VP Wraith Knucks
SCX Trans, plastic case, all metal gears, BWD Motor Plate
96T spur 12T Pinion
VP Dig Unit
CI long front trans output
Maxx Shafts
Dinky RC Front & Rear Ar60 Trusses
All Lunsford Ti Links
Traxxas 3.5" Big Bores, Mini T springs, Jeepindoug cups, shock cap mod,
Front wheels, VP Dirty Harrys
Rear wheels, VP 1.35 V6 SLW
C.I. Double Deuce 6.0 Standard Foams with added tuning rings
Cut N Shut 7.0" Sedonas
It had hitec servos in it.
Holmes Crawler Master 45T

Current pics:

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: Crawler Innovations "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda" 2.2 Unlimited / Manufacturers Class

More pics:

Old 09-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: Crawler Innovations "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda" 2.2 Unlimited / Manufacturers Class

The proposed rules for a "Manufacturers Class";

Just a couple of suggestions;

SECTION 2: Vehicle Requirements

2.1 - General:
▪ 2.1.1 - Vehicles are limited to 4-wheeled vehicles only. These 4 wheels can be the only source of propulsion for the vehicle.

▪ 2.1.2 - Wheelbase is measuring from center-line of front axle stub to center-line of rear axle stub. (See rule 6.4)

▪ 2.1.3 - Bodied vehicles: Unlimited

▪2.1.4 - Bodiless vehicles: Unlimited

▪ 2.1.4.2 - Uni-body – Unlimited

▪ 2.1.5 - Winching down of the axles is allowed.

▪ 2.1.6 - There are no limitations on the amount of radio channels used on a vehicle.

▪ 2.1.7 - Active Suspension is allowed - A suspension that is interlinked (such as the 1:1 Scorpion) which by design moves part of the suspension in one direction when moved from another.

▪ 2.1.8 - Forced Articulation is allowed – Forced articulation is the use of something such as hydraulics or electronics to literally force the suspension to move in a driver-controlled manner.

2.M - Class M – Manufacturers (Unlimited Shafty) Crawler Class:
▪ 2.M.1 – Vehicle must be shaft driven – No MOA Axles. Dual motors are permitted as long as a single transmission is used (chassis mounted) and drive shafts are utilized to power the axles.

▪ 2.M.2 – Axle disconnect system (Dig) is permitted in any mechanical fashion (dual ESC Dig is not allowed).

▪ 2.M.3 - Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a minimum of 13 inches and a maximum of 15.5 inches.

▪ 2.M.4 - Vehicle track width is limited to a maximum of 16 inches.

▪ 2.M.5 - No limits to steering configuration (4 wheel steering is allowed).

▪ 2.M.6 - Bodied vehicles may use any body available; no limits to modifications.

▪2.M.7 – No Bodiless Limits

▪ 2.M.8 -Vehicle is limited to 2.2 inch wheels/rims at the bead surface. Wheels may be modified provided that the tire bead surface is not greater than 2.2 inches in diameter. Tires may be modified from other sized tires using rubber. Vehicle tires must not exceed a total uncompressed outer diameter of 7.5”.

If 1.9 & Super were set aside for now; that would leave the USRCCA with 3 Classes to heavily promote and each class relates to one anther.
1. 2.2 Pro or MOA
2. 2.2 Shaftsman
3. 2.2 Unlimited
or whatever names y'all give them.

The logic being: customer starts with a 2.2 Shaftsman rig, competes, love's it; and then buys or builds into one of the other 2.2 classes. Maybe that customer uses the first shaftsman rig as the basis for the 2.2 Unlimited because that class is more competitive, fun or intriguing. The goal/ idea is that by keeping all three classes to the same wheel, hopefully they could use the same battery, types of motors, size of tires; etc for all three classes making it more cost effective.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sounds fun!
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Hey brother, glad to see our idea and rules we put together published after all this time. I actually emailed the overall idea and rule set to Mr. Holmes recently. I still think the class sounds awesome, and think it also provides a lot of innovation avenues for we small time manufacturers...as well as the garage innovators who like designing and building for themselves in a less restrictive environment.

Don
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The story goes like this, BWD and myself collaborated on the class from the beginning. I took the idea to Steve at VP. He took the idea to axial. Axial liked the idea.

At the time only the wraith was out. But axial knew the Ridgecrest would be coming out and that it could easily be modified to fit into this class. I was asked by Steve to build a proto type truck and was invited to take it to Axial fest that year for a demo. The truck was never completed in time, and during this time period comp crawler #'s continued to dwindle and this idea got shelved.

The idea was brought to the usrcca rules committee but it was ultimately frowned upon. So over two years later here sits a truck that's never been driven and most people have never even heard of the idea. Under RCORVA a class like this could be added. However, it's drivers and builders that truly make a class, rules are just guidelines.

..Uploaded from the lab @ the C.I. Compound...
Old 09-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I love this idea. Mr holmes, please make this a new class. I have the perfect rig for this class if gets created. Subscribed to this build.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default Crawler Innovations "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda" 2.2 Unlimited / Manufacturers C...

I took my ol 2.2 FF-SZ shafty comp rig and make a 14" wb chassis setup a few years ago too. Ax10-XR widen axles. Just made a new set of chassis plates, new driveshafts, new rear steer setup, and new links. Errrrthang else was kept the same.
Made up some 6.25" swampers too.
Never saw the rocks though, had to pull it back apart to run the original rig. Would have been a fun rig.

New vs old

Last edited by Szczerba; 09-26-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: jhu
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:16 AM   #9
E.Y. Designs

I like this idea Eddie... I'm interested to see where it goes

Those Sedona's are massive that you have on that truck
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #10

I've been thinking about something similar just for a fun wheeler without the extreme budget of a super or MOA 2.2.
Rocknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I took my ol 2.2 FF-SZ shafty comp rig and make a 14" wb chassis setup a few years ago too. Ax10-XR widen axles. Just made a new set of chassis plates, new driveshafts, new rear steer setup, and new links. Errrrthang else was kept the same.
Made up some 6.25" swampers too.
Never saw the rocks though, had to pull it back apart to run the original rig. Would have been a fun rig.

Thank you for posting Szczerba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
I like this idea Eddie... I'm interested to see where it goes

Those Sedona's are massive that you have on that truck

Build one and run it Everett. That's the only way to know if you truly like it. And thank you for the kind words. I'd like to see what kind of tires you'd build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknut View Post
I've been thinking about something similar just for a fun wheeler without the extreme budget of a super or MOA 2.2.

Do it!!! Be creative and build something fun.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Almighty Malach started on one:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414544429.694031.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  167.0 KB

Old 10-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Clean slate. What to do next, hmm...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414600544.734168.jpg
Views: 2218
Size:  130.7 KB

Old 10-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Clean slate. What to do next, hmm...

Attachment 298868

Send me that Beast chassis.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I wish there was a bodiless shafty class. I have a 2.2 pro Chaotic rig because I love the look and increased performance. I'd be one of the first ones to buy from a NEW or ESTABLISHED vendor. Personally, I think that rule itself takes away from vendors ability to offer more products.
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:48 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Did this make it anywhere? Love the idea and exactly what I want to build.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I created two unlimited classes, 12" and 16" gate. No restrictions on how the rigs are built. This idea fits right into the 16" gate class.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #18

I dig this.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
ispyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:19 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

cant wait to finish mine.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Crawler Innovations "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda" 2.2 Unlimited / Manufacturers Class - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Innovations "Big Blue" - 2.2 KOH Crawler; wraith based Nova's Ark Axial Wraith 91 07-17-2019 02:22 PM
2013 Mini Clod "Crawler Innovations" Shelf Rig Szczerba Tamiya Clod Buster 62 01-20-2019 08:56 AM
Crawler Innovations "Beastly Beauty" - 2.2 Ultra 4 Rig Nova's Ark 2.2 Scale Rigs 64 02-17-2017 10:06 AM