Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: WYD's AX10 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 08:04 AM   #1
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default WYD's AX10 build

Right before my vacation last week my new AX10 came into the hobbyshop I work at. I didn't get to run it much other than to setup the radio and just some quick running around in front of the hobby shop. This is what it looked like out of the box which has been scene many times.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default Re: WYD's AX10 build

Well I back from my vacation last week but while I was on the cruise I did find a few minutes to place an order to Steve at STRC for a few parts for the AX10. I knew just from the few minutes I ran the AX10 that I wanted aluminum steering rods at that was a no brainer for me. Since this isn't going to be a show truck and my plan is to crawl/trail with it along with my Traxxas Telluride I wanted to get useful parts for strength and ones that wouldn't get all hammered up. Now I did grab some of the differential covers and while they might get some punishment they just look too good on other trucks I have looked at so I got them along with shocks, shock caps, servo mounts and a few other pieces that as I put them on I will post up more pics. Tonight I will get the differential covers on, steering rack and the servo mounts. Who knows I might get more done to it.

I have almost always used STRC parts in everything I build as I found the fit and finish has always been spot on for me and the pricing vs other brands is right on the money. I have used Steve's parts on my Telluride, SCX10, Yeti, HPI Crawler King, Slash, 4x4 Slash and my B5M that I race along with my Durango DEX210's I have. Never had a failure of any type so I continue to support STRC in all my builds and will continue doing so. I plan on getting a new servo but not sure if I want the Savox which I normally need stutter stoppers on or go with my favorites which are Futaba. For the ESC I will use the stock Castle Creations Sidewinder which again I use in all my crawling stuff.

Last edited by wyd; 07-08-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
wyd
Rock Crawler

Last night at the Hobby shop was a great night. I had time to get a lot completed on my Deadbolt.

First thing I put on was the diff housing. They look awesome and I have always liked these type covers every time I see an Axial truck so couldn't wait to get these. Took about 2 minutes using my electric screw driver. I did both front and rear.

Next I did the servo mounts. This was simple and took less that 5 minutes.

Next thing I decided to do was put the rear axle housing on. Took about 10 minutes or so to do. Very simple and straight forward.

Next up was the front and rear bottom shock mounts and rear link mounts. Fairly straight forward but the new mounts have 3 different mounting positions but if you use the middle that is equal to the stock mount positions so that is what I'm starting with. These took a little more time. Use thread lock when mount to the axles so you won't need the little nuts since the mounts are threaded and will make your life so much easier. Install for all four mounts was around 30 minutes or so. Look awesome.

Next up was the mounts that hold your front axle bearing and the steering knuckles. This took me about 20 minutes and not very difficult. Becareful when you take off the steering knuckles not to loose the little bushing that go with the stock steering knuckles as if you do you still be done for the evening. I didn't loose mine but from other setups like don't ask me how I would know.

Last thing I did was install the servo steering links. Never been a favorite of mine on crawlers as I just not done too many of them but I checked out the directions for the Wraith and took my time and I have them on and they worked so I figure they are correctly done. If not I'm sure someone will tell me when they see the picture. I did add 2mm spacers to each side as I think you can see in the picture as they seem to have way too much toe in so again that could of been more or possibly the way the AX10 is vs Wraith but either way it worked and when I tested everything it worked perfectly. I think the gun metal spacers look good to either way I'm very hapy with how it all worked out. I did use thread lock on the aluminum ends so they won't ever be coming loose anytime soon.

Next thing up that I didn't get done is the shocks. I have new shock bodies, caps and all other shock stuff so Friday I will get those done if where not too busy.

Last edited by wyd; 07-09-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
wyd
Rock Crawler

Today I'm at the shop and can't wait to start adding the green STRC shocks to my AX-10. It is my final piece of my puzzle looks and performance wise. I do have tires on order and my Axial rims and weights are already here. Tires I hope to get in next week for it.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Today I'm at the shop and can't wait to start adding the green STRC shocks to my AX-10. It is my final piece of my puzzle looks and performance wise. I do have tires on order and my Axial rims and weights are already here. Tires I hope to get in next week for it.
I'll be at the track for practice tonight. I wanna check this out. I ordered my Wraith earlier this week, just waiting on FedEx
crfnick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

i love STRC stuff too!. it covers my SCX !! should be a great build. i love the rear axle on those !!!!
ScGRaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScGRaceR View Post
i love STRC stuff too!. it covers my SCX !! should be a great build. i love the rear axle on those !!!!
Hey your welcome to post a few pictures of your SCX. Always like looking at what others have.

Brian
Old 07-16-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
wyd
Rock Crawler

Worked at the hobby shop last night so I installed my STRC green aluminum threaded shock bodies on my AX10. Took me a 25 minutes or so to pull the old shocks and take them apart. I reused the shock piston with shock shaft assembly and the rubber shock cap seal. I went with 20 weight Losi oil when I put the new shocks back together. Super easy to do and they look great. Overall very smooth and to me really set the truck off.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
wyd
Rock Crawler

Here is my fleet of crawlers. AX-10 with my Yeti, SCX10 and Telluride. Not show but is built is my Tamiya CC01 Landcruiser.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:13 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Hi Guys, I did the Harley Designs, wroncho converstion to my Ridge, I gotta say it ROCKS with the longer wheelbase, Your work looks AWESOME so far dont get pulled into the hype of EVERYTHING has to be alu, it dont!!!! One personal ?? do you ship to Germany??? Enjoy your Rig and above all have FUN!!!!
Phatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #11
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatz View Post
Hi Guys, I did the Harley Designs, wroncho converstion to my Ridge, I gotta say it ROCKS with the longer wheelbase, Your work looks AWESOME so far dont get pulled into the hype of EVERYTHING has to be alu, it dont!!!! One personal ?? do you ship to Germany??? Enjoy your Rig and above all have FUN!!!!
I'm pretty sure that STRC ships pretty much anywhere but you would have to check with them on that to be 100% sure. Thanks, the crawler thing I do just for fun and will never do comps. If I need to compete I will run some offroad. Crawling will always be just for fun.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:47 PM   #12
wyd
Rock Crawler

Always like green. I think Axial was one of the first companies with green anodized hopups. Glad STRC made some green stuff as I really like. Would like to have my B5m all done in green.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #13
wyd
Rock Crawler

It is pretty much all ready to run but now its been almost 100 degrees and super humid out so I have not been going to club to run but I do mess with it around the hobby shop and I can see it will be fun. Only think I'm waiting on is some Pit Bull tires for it but not sure when we are ordering from Horizon but not a big deal as the stock tires are more than fine for awhile.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #14
wyd
Rock Crawler

I did get one set of my Pit Bulls mounted up with the Axial weights installed. I have those on the front of my truck now and just waiting on my foam so I can do the rear setup. One set of my foams where on back order. Go figure. No doubt it will climb much better than my Telluride with those bigger tires and extra weight I have added to the front. It is a nice combination between speed, trailing and nice ability to crawl over bigger stuff. My Telluride is faster, great for trailing bu not as good as a pure rock crawler. Between the two I have tons of fun.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
wyd
Rock Crawler

Been a while since I posted and thought I would update a little bit. Have not been able to work on my crawler collection during the fall/winter season as Bumps and Jumps hobby shop I help out at has had a very busy racing season this year. Are indoor oval is averaging around 100 entries on a Saturday and 125 to 160 on Sunday for off road so leave little time to wrench on crawler stuff. Don't help that I race on Sundays off road.

Will be back on it though for spring/summer. This is going to be one of my two main play trucks along with my Telluride. These two will do 99% of the trailing/crawling I will do. Really enjoy running both of these a lot. Very different but both tons of fun.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #16
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrapter View Post
damn! that really does look good with the green.
Thanks. I wish I could get green for some of my other Cars/trucks I have.

WYD's AX10 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WYD's STRC SCX10 Jeep Wrangler build wyd Axial SCX-10 57 01-28-2016 09:48 AM
My AX10 build! OrphanRods Axial AX-10 Scorpion 45 01-20-2010 10:10 PM
New AX10 build... b00sted Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 12-27-2008 05:40 PM
my ax10 build tapped-out Axial AX-10 Scorpion 36 10-26-2007 05:41 AM