Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: Dedicated video rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Hi all, starting a new project and thought I'd post the progress here. Bought a deadbolt a while back and added a gopro to it. Later a fpv system and led lights were added.

It's great for walking in the woods and seeing what you can catch on camera but with all the extra gadgets it's definitely not a basher anymore. With this another deadbolt along with a hot racing aluminum rock racer frame, upgraded steering links, 150 in oz steering servo, 55 turn motor and a few other goodies thrown in.

One concern is battery placement.

Usually run two 2 cell packs in parallel which yields almost 3 hours run time. The lights and power for the fpv camera are run from a small 800 mah separate 3 cell pack. Guess I can add a jst plug to the parallel harness and run everything off of the main packs. Also a bit concerned about space. On George everything is safely placed under the roll cage. With the new frame there's the pan tilt unit for the fpv camera, voltage reducer for the camera and possible extra battery. The gopro will not be hard mounted as before. It will be on a brushless gimbal which will be mounted on top of the frame.

My son called this evening to let me know that a few things were in. Of course like most 10 year olds he was more concerned with his video game than taking pics foe dad lol. Deadbolt, motor, steering links, frame, servos and new pan tilt gimbal are in. Hope to start the build Tuesday when I get back.

Aluminum beadlock rims, tires and motor cooling fan ordered. Hopefully all will be in by friday.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-19-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Landair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Finished the build over the weekend. Probably already a build thread on this frame so wont go into much detail. The tires are pranther soft compound which has the same tread pattern as the proline chisels. A set of 4 was only $26 but the drawback was there are no foams with them. I carefully cut the axial tires and used the foams from them. No holes were drilled in the integy aluminum rims. Have run the new rig for only about 15 minutes but haven run into any problems on multiple terrains. Aluminum steering links were installed with no problems and the tower pro 150 oz servo moves them with authority. Frame itself wen together no problems. I used the axial bottom plate instead of the one specificly for this frame so a bit of modding was required. Plenty of mounting holes for adjustability but using the stock links limits your options due to the close confines of the frame. The only thing not installed yet is the motor cooling fan. Will have to cut the heat sink to get it to fir properly All in all very pleased with the chosen combination.

I built this rig to use as a dedicated video rig but due to the small size of the frame it rules it out completely. I needed another basher and this build is now it. So with this in mind going to modify George to fit the bill. So its back to planning and breaking out the credit card again lol.

Started looking at George today and things started coming together, in my head at least lol. First thing on the list is stability so with this in mind I pulled the tires off my trusty stock clod aptly named Rattle. They some what fit the axial but all I needed was just enough for a test run. After a few minutes with the 27 turn motor a quick temp check revealed HOT. Was running a 5000 mah 40cc lipo and I've never had one get to that temp before. So I started looking through manual at gear ratios then remembered that didn't install the 55 turn motor on the new rig. After a grueling motor change and a 10 minute test run everything was nice and cool. Of course it cut the top speed in half but run time should increase. The tower pro servo moved the wheels well but there was alot more flex in the stock steering links so they will have to go. Here's the new order list so far.

Hot racing aluminum steering links.
Crawford performance clod wheel wideners.
Pt pan tilt unit. Forgot to order it last time.

Thinking about just adding a 5" by 12" acrylic platform on top to mount the camera and fpv gear to. This would drop everything down about 2 inches. Would like some type of simple roll cage to keep everything somewhat protected.

Need opinions on tires better than the stock clod ones.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-19-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Landair is offline   Reply With Quote

Dedicated video rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Video Dedicated To A Deceased Friend! Cmon In! HPI-Killer Scale Videos! 5 03-15-2014 12:13 AM
Dedicated R/C Crawler Magazine? R/C Bashist General Crawlers 7 11-01-2012 05:55 PM
Now that's a dedicated do it yourselfer........ BJoe Chit Chat 9 08-30-2012 10:11 PM
Need a dedicated comp rig. bpd964 Newbie General 10 02-08-2011 07:33 PM
Go-Dedicated New Years Giveaway Cloak Chit Chat 49 01-01-2007 11:01 PM