RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX10 2nd-gen (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax10-2nd-gen/)
-   -   Turning with Universals versus dog-bones (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax10-2nd-gen/549285-turning-universals-versus-dog-bones.html)

mewalsh100 11-14-2015 12:19 PM

Turning with Universals versus dog-bones

So, I just got done putting the Axial Universal Joint axles in the AX10. Took it out in the backyard on my little test course. Wow! Night and day difference in turning capability. Other than going to the 55T motor, and hi-torque servo, this is probably the most noticeable modification that I've done so far!

The one thing I did notice though, is that with the increased turn that I get at the wheels, the tires are now rubbing the springs on the Losi 4" crawler shocks that I put on last week. Just slightly, but enough to hear it. I still just have the stock, RTR radio. Not sure I can limit the servo throw with that?

Solitaire 11-14-2015 12:25 PM

Re: Turning with Universals versus dog-bones

I don't believe you can adjust EPA's with the stock radio. About the only thing you can do, other than getting a different radio, is fabricate some steering stops.

With spring cups that aren't captured, you'll likely lose a cup or two when the tires rub.

mewalsh100 11-14-2015 12:35 PM

@Solitaire - good idea on the stops. I think I can whip something up pretty easy there. Should hold me over until I get a new radio rig.

tarpon4me 11-18-2015 10:37 AM

The stock radio does allow you to adjust steering throw.

Sneetches 11-18-2015 11:28 AM

With the stock Axial radio, you can dial down the steering with the "Steering D/R" knob.

winnerone23 11-20-2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mewalsh100 (Post 5332005)
@Solitaire - good idea on the stops. I think I can whip something up pretty easy there. Should hold me over until I get a new radio rig.

You can always get some heat shrink tubing, that just fits your cups and your springs. Just enough to catch the cup and the bottom of the spring and heat it up.

No more worries of lost spring cups..

roksloski 11-23-2015 10:38 AM

JeepinDoug spring cups for scaler .......... FTW........"thumbsup"

benster 11-27-2015 06:44 PM

adjust your EPA on the steering. I did it myself on my ridgecrest(hopefully same radio). I tune it depending on the size of tires I run very easily

firstpasstommy 11-30-2015 01:07 PM

Another option is to widen up your stance with hubs or wheel wideners, depending on how wide it is already? It will be more stabil as well...