Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: Dabbler's AX10 Ridgecrest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Dabbler's AX10 Ridgecrest

I recently bought this used, haggard looking AX10 Ridgecrest/Deadbolt chassis, so I could build a custom AX10 Ridgecrest. I've had a clear Ridgecrest body since last winter, and was planning to mount it on my Everest 10, after a major Axial drivetrain conversion, but felt I'd be unhappy with the outcome, because of the narrow track width. I was then going to use my Wraith drivetrain, but the VP Stage 1 kit I had purchased for the Wraith is totally the wrong color, and I really don't think I want to undo my Wraith. Hence, the Ridgecrest body will get its own home.

I was leery about buying it, because of the pictures, but I took confidence in the seller's 100% rating, and also in my familiarity with Axial SCX10/AR60 rigs. I've got new gears & locker spools, should the originals be rusted or stripped, and many other quality parts to complete the build. The day after I purchased the AX10 chassis I hopped on AsiaTees, one of the last bastions of aluminum bling, and made a hefty order of aluminum hop-ups. It seemed best to get everything in one order, especially since I had a theme in mind. I've learned the hard way, that if you wait, often times, some of the parts might be gone for good the next time you check.

The chassis arrived just a few days ago, so now I just need to get the wheelbase set, then ream mounting holes in the body, in order to get it painted, before the weather changes, as fall is right around the corner. With the body painted, I can take time, as needed, to finish the build. Looking forward to it, regardless. Always liked the Ridgecrest!
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Dabbler's AX10 Ridgecrest

Finished painting my Ridgecrest body, and am quite pleased with the outcome. Right before I got started, I realized that I had a masking decal for the Axial logo that I had leftover from my Dingo body kit, which I had missed when I painted it. I went rummaging through my work area until I found it, because I really wanted to use it on this one. I peeled it off incorrectly, but managed to apply it fair enough. Next, I'll be adding the bumper pieces. I've seen where a lot of guys removed them for improved clearance, but I want the look, and probably won't be doing any serious crawling with it.

The chassis was blown clean with an air compressor, yesterday, and is essentially just waiting for a tear down and rebuild. Life is going to be a little hectic over the next few months, with new family growth, but I'm hoping to get it done before the leaves have all fallen.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

That's sharp! what color is it, looks blue but looks like it has a purple hue to it
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
That's sharp! what color is it, looks blue but looks like it has a purple hue to it
Thanks! It's Tamiya PS-45 Translucent Purple, followed by PS-48 Silver Metallic Anodized Aluminum (I just happened to have some leftover, so figured I'd use it up), then backed by PS-12 Silver.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I never like seeing threads where the OP never follows up with a build, so I wanted to provide what might be a closure statement. As it turns out, my beautifully painted, purple Ridgecrest body doesn't mesh well with the orange aluminum hop-ups I had bought for the overhaul/build-up, but looks really swell on my SMT10 Grave Digger (green) chassis.

Deliberating over what to do about getting another body, I started questioning whether or not I would enjoy the AX10 tvp chassis, or if I'd rather use AR60 axles on perhaps another SMT10 chassis (Max-D black), for a Mega truck build, and my conclusion, as it seems for the time being, is that what I would enjoy the most, and the get the most use out of, is a Wroncho build! I don't have to have ultimate scale accuracy, but I do like to be able to have a frame for mounting bumpers, lights, etc, and the AX10 wouldn't really provide that, but a Wroncho would. It may not be with an actual Honcho body, but will be applied to an SCX10 chassis. I ordered some TODBLDZ Wroncho plates last night. If & when I get it going, I'll start a new thread in the 2.2 Scale Rigs forum.

Last edited by johnnyluv; 11-17-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Dabbler's AX10 Ridgecrest - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dabbler's Dingo Delight johnnyluv Axial SCX-10 13 11-03-2016 09:20 AM
AX10 Ridgecrest vids JKJEDI Axial AX10 2nd-gen 3 09-11-2014 07:39 PM
Trevinator's AX10 RidgeCrest trevinator Axial AX10 2nd-gen 37 03-13-2013 03:45 PM
Shocks for AX10 Ridgecrest RC_Tomato Axial AX10 2nd-gen 3 06-18-2012 11:14 AM