RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX10 2nd-gen (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax10-2nd-gen/)
-   -   2.2S Robbob's new direction (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax10-2nd-gen/599550-2-2s-robbobs-new-direction.html)

Robbob 06-12-2018 01:40 PM

2.2S Robbob's new direction

5 Attachment(s)
Well never been in the 2nd generation area before so figured I would post up some tid bits as I go along on my new shafty rig.

Sold the team truck Gen2 a while ago and knew I had to if I wanted to push myself for something new. I've been dreaming portals for some time now and call me crazy I think they can work.

Thought about Traxxas - nah too much work to make them work for competition width. The locker would be cool for the rear and the rules dont say no but oh theres the rule against more then 2 channels, hmmm.

Thought about Gmade - had them in the past, know the inner workings and the width could work. But TLT style gears with no OD/UD options and no reduction in the portals. Hmmmm nah wouldnt be happy.

Knew High Altitude Performance had been working on some 3d printed portals for some time now and Ive been eyeballing them. Now I had a reason to go portals. While I was at it I grabbed his Enigma center section for the AR44's and his angled link mount sections.

Parts came - grabbed some CF tubes and started mocking things up. Rear was pretty easy with a centered SSD Pro44 pumpkin. The front was gonna be the excitement, what to do what to do.

I offset the front gear box and started drawing the axle plate for it. Thankfully having two 3D printers it helped with trying and fitting things before having to waste any material.

Got some carbon cut for the front housing, got a small flat truss for the rear and got my trap door battery mount printed how I want it.

Axles ready I test fitted some wheels and yup, portals hit. Couple ideas and conversations later I redrew a modular setup. Still a glue on wheel and with in the rules they clear the portals with room for weights.

Still a work in progress but figured Id show some shots of what I been tinkering up. Might have it read for nationals but not pushing it too much. Gonna go up on links next week and get the compressed wheel base dialed in. After that its just electronics and shoe horn in a transmission.

More to come as it comes together. Thanks for looking

Robbob 06-12-2018 01:41 PM

Re: 2.2S Robbob's new direction

5 Attachment(s)
couple more shots along the way

Dezertdirt 06-12-2018 07:41 PM

wow, those axles are epic. you sir are an evil genus.

WHITE-TRASH 06-12-2018 07:57 PM

That shock holder is sick! I must have one, what's the source?

Oh yea, the axles are ok too I guess. :flipoff:

Robbob 06-13-2018 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezertdirt (Post 5841420)
wow, those axles are epic. you sir are an evil genus.

Thank you sir, Im excited about running these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5841425)
That shock holder is sick! I must have one, what's the source?

Oh yea, the axles are ok too I guess. :flipoff:

High Altitude Performance - Facebook (cant link it from works computer)
and Shapeways (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/high...mance-rc?li=pb) has them. "thumbsup"

Facebook you can get ahold of him and he'll put them together for ya or Shapeways tells you what gears and bearings you need to make the portals yourself.

JatoTheRipper 06-13-2018 07:27 AM

Those axles are sexy! Nice!

WHITE-TRASH 06-13-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbob (Post 5841504)
Thank you sir, Im excited about running these.

High Altitude Performance - Facebook (cant link it from works computer)
and Shapeways (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/high...mance-rc?li=pb) has them. "thumbsup"

Facebook you can get ahold of him and he'll put them together for ya or Shapeways tells you what gears and bearings you need to make the portals yourself.

Casey makes some cool stuff but I dont see that shock building stand in his store. I need one in my life. "thumbsup"

Robbob 06-13-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5841558)
Casey makes some cool stuff but I dont see that shock building stand in his store. I need one in my life. "thumbsup"

Ohhhh .... shit that things old, probably as old as you lol. Its an old Racers Edge thing Ive had since late 90's.

Looks like Protech is making them now and with a little drawer.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...k-8320/p478602

JatoTheRipper 06-13-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbob (Post 5841588)
Ohhhh .... shit that things old, probably as old as you lol. Its an old Racers Edge thing Ive had since late 90's.

There are many knockoffs of that stand, but this is the first time I've seen a drawer.

CM9000 06-13-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

ofna actually. unless they were the same. I have a yellow one myself. mine has a magnet for e clips and what not.

quick question.. you don't plan on using the stock rear upper link mount on the pumpkin do you? cause that plate has me thinkin a whole too much right now.

Robbob 06-13-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM9000 (Post 5841824)
ofna actually. unless they were the same. I have a yellow one myself. mine has a magnet for e clips and what not.

quick question.. you don't plan on using the stock rear upper link mount on the pumpkin do you? cause that plate has me thinkin a whole too much right now.

Ohhh I think you nailed it, mine had the magnet thing too. Its sooo old its actually CA'd together from the years.

Yup gonna use the stock housing spot for links. With the portals raising everything it would change too much for my likings it I went taller. Plus throw off my triangulation likes.

CM9000 06-13-2018 08:25 PM

well.. the lower links are raised from the center of the wheels. I would think it wouldn't cause an issue.

just might be a awesome tuning option you could then look into maybe.

and the shock stand lol. I won mine at a race 2 years ago. it was new in the package still. I barely use it.

do you have a Tamiya shock pump? saves time on bleeding the shocks.

WHITE-TRASH 06-13-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

As old as me? I graduated high school in the mid 90's. :lol:

Thanks for the link, I'll have to build something like that because I'm a cheap/broke ass. :flipoff:

CM9000 06-13-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5841874)
As old as me? I graduated high school in the mid 90's. [emoji38]

Thanks for the link, I'll have to build something like that because I'm a cheap/broke ass. :flipoff:

Stop lyin. Haha. If you know a guy with a 3d printer.. And now a cad savy guy..

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

WHITE-TRASH 06-13-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM9000 (Post 5841895)
Stop lyin. Haha. If you know a guy with a 3d printer.. And now a cad savy guy..

I know a person that is both that will soon own me a big favor. :mrgreen:

Robbob 06-14-2018 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM9000 (Post 5841857)
well.. the lower links are raised from the center of the wheels. I would think it wouldn't cause an issue.

just might be a awesome tuning option you could then look into maybe.

and the shock stand lol. I won mine at a race 2 years ago. it was new in the package still. I barely use it.

do you have a Tamiya shock pump? saves time on bleeding the shocks.

Nah never bought a shock pump, should have years ago with the touring car racing lol. I just let them bleed as they sit, usually build my shocks while Im doing something else so they have time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5841874)
As old as me? I graduated high school in the mid 90's. :lol:

Ok a little longer then you been out of high school :shock:

Robbob 06-19-2018 06:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Waiting for some minor but important parts I got a couple things done in prep for the truck.

Printed up some weight hangers for the portals and got some rovers mounted up. Still have to shave the sidewalls on the tires.

Also got the cheeseburg reworked for the chassis, stacked the gears a little different. Gonna change a couple cosmetics to it and have to make a new skid for it. Hoping for a fire up run by end of the month.

Few more pics for now.

WHITE-TRASH 06-19-2018 07:50 AM

That's not enough weight unless you have depleted uranium slugs. :flipoff:

Robbob 06-19-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5843494)
That's not enough weight unless you have depleted uranium slugs. :flipoff:

unObtanium ... its actually 5* heavier then titanium. Want some? :mrgreen:

Steve g 06-19-2018 08:19 AM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk