Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: "The Gatekeeper" A AMW Built AR60 Axle'd,Gatekeeper Chassis , Activated Outlaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default "The Gatekeeper" A AMW Built AR60 Axle'd,Gatekeeper Chassis , Activated Outlaw

I built this Gatekeeper from parts sitting around the C.I shop. The chassis is a Gatekeeper delrin prototype and skid. The chassis already had these AR60 axles with links and shocks bolted up. I am building this Gatekeeper for Activated Outlaw rule set in the Competition 4x4 class.

I first got a Dlux Cheez berger and I wanted to use the opposite rotation driveshafts and use the built in overdrive. I bolted the Cheez berger up to the skid with no clearance issues. I then flipped the front axle and made a 1/8 delrin truss that holds the servo, esc, bec, battery, receiver, and upper link mounts. I bent my own titanium steering links and made a rear axle 1/8 delrin truss for parallel rear upper links. I built Traxxas 3.5 big bore shocks for the front and rear with 3 hole pistons and dlux spring cups with mini t springs.
Build Parts:
Gatekeeper Prototype Chassis
AR60 plastic housing
Front axle aluminum tube
Front axle overdrive gear set (passenger drop)
Rear axle underdrive gear set (Driver drop)
Eggressor knuckles
AX10 chubs
Dlux Cheez Berger Trans
Traxxas plastic driveshafts
Traxxas 3.5 big bore shocks, 3 hole piston, Dlux spring cups, mini T springs
Titanuim links

Electronics:
Futaba receiver
Hitec 7954SH servo
Castle Creations BEC
Castle Creations Mamba Micro X ESC
Castle Creations 2280 KV sensored motor
Running on 3s 800MAH lipo

Tires, Wheels, and Foams:
Voodoo pins cut, narrowed, and shortened made by Nova's Ark
Crawler Innovations 6 Bolt 1" wheels
Crawler Innovations triple stage prototype foams

Last edited by Gavin Ayala; 12-28-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Gavin Ayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "The Gatekeeper" A AMW Built AR60 Axle'd,Gatekeeper Chassis: Activated Outlaw

Pics

Old 12-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "The Gatekeeper" A AMW Built AR60 Axle'd,Gatekeeper Chassis , Activated Outlaw

More

Old 12-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "The Gatekeeper" A AMW Built AR60 Axle'd,Gatekeeper Chassis , Activated Outlaw

más

[

Old 12-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Old 12-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice spare parts rig... good luck. I'm Interested to hear how the brushless motor works out for you.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I shaved the front and rear axle housings and sanded up to 600 grit for better ground clearance. The Cheez berger trans with reverse rotation outputs drives very different from any rig I have driven. I can drive this rig for multiply battery packs and the ESC, motor, and servo never get warm. The brushless motor is great it has more torque, faster, and runs forever without getting hot. With that said the motor KV is not low enough for my preference so I would recommend a Castle Creations 1900KV motor.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
Nice spare parts rig... good luck. I'm Interested to hear how the brushless motor works out for you.
Thanks, the brushless motor is working great! I love running this rig for long crawl sessions as the electronics don't get hot. The low speed is really good for a brushless motor. I will take some videos to display the rig in action and how slow it is.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

More

Old 12-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Great build thread Gavin. It has been wonderful to see you build this rig on your own.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:37 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Very cool!
What knuckles are those?
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Great build thread Gavin. It has been wonderful to see you build this rig on your own.

Thank You Dad!
-Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkill View Post
Very cool!
What knuckles are those?

Eggressor Knuckles made 5 to 8 years ago, Thank You.
-Gavin
Old 12-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Cool rig. Are the ar60's narrowed? Also what is it like to run so much overdrive? What battery are you running?
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
Cool rig. Are the ar60's narrowed? Also what is it like to run so much overdrive? What battery are you running?

The AR60's are not narrowed, still stock width. I like the overdrive it turns great, a little throttle and the front axle will turn and reposition. Going down-hill the truck is real stable the rear unders really slow the rear of the car down and acts as a brake. Going up-hill the truck grabs most ledge's you can get one front tire with. My battery is a 3S 800MAH Lipo 30C which last 15 to 20 minutes.
Thank You.
-Gavin
Old 12-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

More pics

I added 4 more bolts to the delrin truss and shaved the front diff cover some more.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I am switching the delrin gatekeeper prototype chassis for an aluminum gatekeeper chassis that was sitting around the C.I shop. The reason I am switching the delrin chassis is because the delrin chassis flexes under high stress binds and isn't as strong as the aluminum.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

More pics of the two Gatekeepers.

The aluminum Gatekeeper has a different skid.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

The two chassis side by side.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

The different skids.

All back together with the new aluminum Gatekeeper chassis along with new rear single bend titanium links, jeepindoug 6mm aluminum ball studs on Upper links.

Last edited by Gavin Ayala; 12-28-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

More

Tags
#activatedoutlaw, #amw, #ayalametalworks, #crawlerinnovations

"The Gatekeeper" A AMW Built AR60 Axle'd,Gatekeeper Chassis , Activated Outlaw - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The Formula", a CI built; SSDLUX axle'd; Y Town Sporticus chassis; Activated Outlaw Nova's Ark Axial AX10 2nd-gen 38 04-07-2021 10:41 AM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM