RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX10 2nd-gen (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax10-2nd-gen/)
-   -   Szczerba’s 2019 Comp Sportsman “Enigma” Build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax10-2nd-gen/606181-szczerba%92s-2019-comp-sportsman-%93enigma%94-build.html)

Szczerba 02-27-2019 10:31 AM

Re: Szczerba’s 2019 Comp Sportsman “Enigma” Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbob (Post 5913781)
Itll never work - its just a fad :mrgreen::mrgreen::ror:

3D printing has def opened up a lot of options and Casey is finding them for sure. Nice seeing a veteran dabble in the comp side again. "thumbsup"

Works pretty slick right now! Probably would be super awesome with a good driver.
I moved to Southwest Washington state 2 years ago. Comp and scalers are still going strong out here. I am an hour from a large scene in Portland and 2-3hrs from a larger scene in Seattle. I could go to a crawler event probably 2-3 weekends out of each month if I wanted. But I haven't haha.

Robbob 02-27-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Szczerba (Post 5913809)
Works pretty slick right now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Szczerba (Post 5913809)
I could go to a crawler event probably 2-3 weekends out of each month if I wanted. But I haven't haha.

Now you got a reason :ror:

Except those Washington boys comp in cold rain and snow .... Id skip them too lol.

bmangdog 03-20-2019 07:07 AM

How is the steering with those knuckles?

WHITE-TRASH 03-20-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbob (Post 5913839)
Now you got a reason :ror:

Except those Western Washington and especially OR boys comp in cold rain and snow .... Id skip them too lol.

Feexerdeded.

On the east side we have sunshine & killer dry rock so we don't have to comp in rain gear and act like we are better for it. :lmao:

There is a pretty solid comp scene in the PNW for sure. Whatever type of rig you have to run will have a comp going on pretty regularly except sthuper. We have low standards but they're still above sthupers. :lol:

Szczerba 03-26-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmangdog (Post 5920451)
How is the steering with those knuckles?

Great. Thought I had picture on my phone but nah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5920479)
Feexerdeded.

On the east side we have sunshine & killer dry rock so we don't have to comp in rain gear and act like we are better for it. :lmao:

There is a pretty solid comp scene in the PNW for sure. Whatever type of rig you have to run will have a comp going on pretty regularly except sthuper. We have low standards but they're still above sthupers. :lol:

Indeed. I could comp comp, scale comp or U4 on the West side 2-3 weekends each month if I wanted to drive 1-3.5 hours.

I did comp this past weekend with good results for a brand new car and not having sporty comp’d in 5 years. A well designed car helps! Haha

CM9000 03-26-2019 10:00 AM

We seen the vid. You did pretty dang good.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

WHITE-TRASH 03-26-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Szczerba (Post 5922277)
Great. Thought I had picture on my phone but nah.

Indeed. I could comp comp, scale comp or U4 on the West side 2-3 weekends each month if I wanted to drive 1-3.5 hours.

I did comp this past weekend with good results for a brand new car and not having sporty comp’d in 5 years. A well designed car helps! Haha

Yea there is always something going on over there. There are get togethers every weekend on the east side but only a few of us could be considered serious. There is a scale series starting next month and I catch warcrc comps at rimrock. The rimrock events are worth the drive for you.

buggy0001 03-29-2019 10:42 AM

I saw a video on FB of you driving this car and at one point you only had 3 wheel drive. Just wondering if it was a loose wheel nut or if it was actually a set screw or something inside the portal. Im looking pretty seriously into getting one of these kits but just want to make sure there are no issues to work out where they are still brand new. Love the Car!!! Thanks in advance

Almighty Malach 03-29-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggy0001 (Post 5923244)
I saw a video on FB of you driving this car and at one point you only had 3 wheel drive. Just wondering if it was a loose wheel nut or if it was actually a set screw or something inside the portal. Im looking pretty seriously into getting one of these kits but just want to make sure there are no issues to work out where they are still brand new. Love the Car!!! Thanks in advance

It sounded like operator error to me.

Szczerba 03-29-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggy0001 (Post 5923244)

I swapped to overdrive portal box gears up front the night before while trying to beat the sun setting for testing.
I didn’t tighten down one of the set screws on a portal drive gear or missed the flat on the shaft when tightening. Quick fix on the rocks and went back to finish the course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almighty Malach (Post 5923357)
It sounded like operator error to me.

Thanks, dad.

buggy0001 03-30-2019 10:15 AM

Good to hear Szczerba. I just ordered one of these after seeing this build. looks like a game changer!

xkill 04-20-2019 11:33 AM

So how is this rig working?
Any video of it?

ciechan 05-14-2019 05:25 PM

Awesome build, taking it to the next level!
Szczerba, could you just explain what is the advantage of having upper links running almost parallel to chassis? You briefly mentioned it when asked about ‘wide’ chassis, I wonder what is the purpose of it.

Szczerba 05-14-2019 06:22 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates. Burnt an esc on this by my fault and haven't replaced it. Kind of checked out on R/C's here lately too. Also, my subscribed threads feature quit working years ago, so I don't get tapatalk notifications anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggy0001 (Post 5923471)
Good to hear Szczerba. I just ordered one of these after seeing this build. looks like a game changer!

Nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xkill (Post 5928881)
So how is this rig working?
Any video of it?

Rig works great. Short clips here or there on FB and IG. We were doing a live FB feed at the last comp. "Pro Shafty & MOA" Group.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciechan (Post 5934728)
Awesome build, taking it to the next level!
Szczerba, could you just explain what is the advantage of having upper links running almost parallel to chassis? You briefly mentioned it when asked about ‘wide’ chassis, I wonder what is the purpose of it.

Link position management is tough to explain over the interwebs. There are preferred and not preferred setups depending on the driving style and the individual truck weight. The upper links, enact leverage to the opposite end of the rig. Ie, changing the rear uppers makes the front end do different things. I don't fully understand all the technical terms, so I just drive, adjust, drive, adjust.

Still Bill 05-21-2019 12:24 PM

Is there a listing of all parts used for this crawler?

ciechan 05-26-2019 10:56 PM

Szczerba, thanks for the reply. One more question- how are the lower links mounted to skid plate? It looks like a threaded bar hold them, how did you screw them in? I am thinking of designing a new skid plate and I like the idea of angled link mount, just thinking how to fit a 3mm bolt there- an idea of having a stud without bolt head looks good, just wonder how you screw it in.

Szczerba 05-27-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still Bill (Post 5936537)
Is there a listing of all parts used for this crawler?

I got 85% of the parts from the friend who designed it. I had to buy some axle shafts, axle gears/lockers, c-hubs and electronics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciechan (Post 5938036)
Szczerba, thanks for the reply. One more question- how are the lower links mounted to skid plate? It looks like a threaded bar hold them, how did you screw them in? I am thinking of designing a new skid plate and I like the idea of angled link mount, just thinking how to fit a 3mm bolt there- an idea of having a stud without bolt head looks good, just wonder how you screw it in.

Long set screws
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ebcdf9c32b.jpg

bmangdog 10-20-2020 07:09 AM

I need one of these in my life I just need to bite the bullet and do it... are you still liking it? How are the printed parts holding up??

Almighty Malach 10-20-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmangdog (Post 6049311)
I need one of these in my life I just need to bite the bullet and do it... are you still liking it? How are the printed parts holding up??

This rig has changed a hands a few times in the last year or so. I believe its up in Oregon now.

bmangdog 10-20-2020 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almighty Malach (Post 6049376)
This rig has changed a hands a few times in the last year or so. I believe its up in Oregon now.

Does anyone know who it went to?