Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: AX10 Ridgecrest MT Conversion!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Default AX10 Ridgecrest MT Conversion!

Hi guys, new to the Site and new to the Axial brand! My buddy and I are planning on building a pair of shafty MT's and we've settled in on the AX10 Ridgecrest/Deadbolt as a base. We found some aluminium frames from KYX as a start. It doesn't appear to have the electronics or battery tray in the kits. Do we use the stock gear and if so, where do we find them?
TheSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #2

Default Re: AX10 Ridgecrest MT Conversion!

My AX-10 Scorpion
Attached Images

Mitch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #3

So I found a seller on Ebay selling a complete chassis with body posts, electronics tray, and battery tray. Which is good cause I couldn't find a single stock piece for Ridgecrest chassis ANYWHERE!!

I'm building an Axial based solid axle MT and I'm completely green to the Axial product line. I have a few questions for everyone. The transmission for the AX10, do they have a diff setup or are they locked? I plan on running open diffs in the axles, are they tunable with different weight diff fluids like 1/8 scales and such? Now for the motor..........I need speed out of this thing, not blow the paint off the wall speed, but enough to be enjoyed and not off the wall outa control. What would anyone recommend for a decent 2s lipo setup? And with that, a possible spur/pinion combo? Sorry for all the noob questions here, like I said, I'm new! Lol I have been in the hobby for quite some time, racing both on and off road 1/10 and 1/8 as well as flying 3D airplanes and EDF jets.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-02-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Info Please!!

So you are building an smt10? The axles are the same as wraith axles if so. The trans is locked or slipper depending on how you set up the spur gear....
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
RCC Addict

This section of the forum is a bit dead. I assume you mean a center diff for the AX10 trans, which I don't really know of any that exists. The open diffs for the AX10 axles are tunable like normal. Speed wise on 2S, I can only imagine something around 4000 kv being what you'd want, with something like a 13 through 15 tooth pinion.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Buy a ARRMA. [shrug]
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
This section of the forum is a bit dead. I assume you mean a center diff for the AX10 trans, which I don't really know of any that exists. The open diffs for the AX10 axles are tunable like normal. Speed wise on 2S, I can only imagine something around 4000 kv being what you'd want, with something like a 13 through 15 tooth pinion.

SSD has an AR-60 centered rear axle
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
SSD has an AR-60 centered rear axle
If we are going by this question:

Quote:
The transmission for the AX10, do they have a diff setup or are they locked?
Then I assumed he meant a center differential attached to the transmission, which is why I said I don't know of any.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The next sentence referred to open diffs, I assumed he was confused, it appears I may be confused.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #10

Now we're gettin somewhere!! Lol I was curious if the transmission itself had something like a diff, similar to the transmission in 2wd buggies and trucks. Knowing that the diffs in the axles are tunable, kinda makes it less important to have a center diff. I had heard the offset pumpkins helped with torque twist. Is that true? I plan on running Yetti sway bars from Vanquish anyway.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Hey, good luck on the build. One of the greatest things about Axial is how much you can interchange the parts between their different models. With the SMT10, there is a lot more options for parts to convert an AX10 from crawler to Monster. When I first built mine, there weren't as many parts available. I made it work though. Here's some "Before and After" pics of a Stock AX10 next to my AX10 Monster. Maybe it'll help give you some ideas.

Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #12
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I dont know any body using open diffs in thes diffs so not sure if they are available. The only way I know of to get the transmission to not have the same drive front to rear is to use a dig tranny. I dont think there is a diff style trans like some of the 4 wheel drive buggies use. Im not saying one could not be modified to fit though. In our crawlers we want locked diffs. Most people spend more money to get a better locker in the diff not going open diffs. With a bit of research you may find open diffs not sure.
Depending on final gearing and what your final transmission choice is will make a big difference on motor gearing choice. In my Bomber I run a brushless 5800 kv on 3s and even in high range it is very controllable to crawl and trail run. It will also blow the tires off of the rims at sustained full throttle in high gear. Good luck with your build
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #13

What chassis does KYX make?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

AX10 Ridgecrest MT Conversion! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX10 Ridgecrest needs aluminum! TIME MACHINE Axial AX10 2nd-gen 15 02-05-2015 04:25 PM
Ridgecrest Conversion to what?? AC Man Newbie General 9 04-21-2013 07:31 PM
Ridgecrest to Wraith Conversion juttsvw Axial Wraith 34 04-10-2013 09:06 PM