Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: 3 Link or 4 Link

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #1

Default 3 Link or 4 Link

OK, total newbie here at the RC thing. I just picked up a 1.9 Wraith and a Builder Kit yesterday morning. I noticed when I got the Wraith home that it was only 3 linked on the front which I thought was in error as it is clearly designed for a 4 link front, but then when I started the builder kit, I saw that their instructions were to 3 link the front on that as well.

So here is my question, do you guys 3 link or 4 link the fronts ( I get that the 3 link should give more articulation, but I also notice it leans and torques real hard to the side without the link).

Second question, how about the rear, if we are only 3 linking the front, why not 3 link the rear?

Again, total newb at this and trying to learn ( I do rock crawl a jeep I built - 4 linked all around) but the RC thing is a bit different and looking for your guys knowledge and feedback. Thanks in advance.

Randy

Last edited by Texas_Jester; 05-12-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Texas_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 3 Link or 4 Link

3 link is used almost exclusively when the steering servo is chassis mounted (CMS) rather than being mounted on the axle. 4 link is pretty much standard for axle mounted servos.

The reason for the 3 link with CMS is you need a panhard bar locking the side to side movement of the axle to reduce/eliminate bump steer caused by the suspension articulation. If you were to use a 4 link and panhard bar you would restrict suspension articulation to almost nothing.

Used to be CMS was an upgrade either from the OEM or from the aftermarket. Seems now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and many of the manufacturers are offering it as standard, Axial Wraith 1.9, Axial SCX10.2, Vaterra Ascender, Redcat Gen8, etc.

Stick with the 4 link on the rear.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
3 link is used almost exclusively when the steering servo is chassis mounted (CMS) rather than being mounted on the axle. 4 link is pretty much standard for axle mounted servos.

The reason for the 3 link with CMS is you need a panhard bar locking the side to side movement of the axle to reduce/eliminate bump steer caused by the suspension articulation. If you were to use a 4 link and panhard bar you would restrict suspension articulation to almost nothing.

Used to be CMS was an upgrade either from the OEM or from the aftermarket. Seems now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and many of the manufacturers are offering it as standard, Axial Wraith 1.9, Axial SCX10.2, Vaterra Ascender, Redcat Gen8, etc.

Stick with the 4 link on the rear.

I have a first gen SCX-10 that I want to upgrade to CMS. Do I maintain the 3-link because of the upgrade? I was planning to upgrade the front to 4-link also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ClovisCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisCrawler View Post
I have a first gen SCX-10 that I want to upgrade to CMS. Do I maintain the 3-link because of the upgrade? I was planning to upgrade the front to 4-link also

The SCX10.2 is really a true 4-link with one of the upper front links removed. Your gen1 has what they called a 3-link but differs in that the upper link is called the "Y" link. The link is bolted to the right and left chassis rails and the 3rd connection is to a pivot connection on a bracket on the axle. The true 4-link has 2 separate upper links and the bracket bolted to the axle is different than what you have on your 3-link. If I remember correctly there were some SCX10.1 that had the 3-link on 1 axle and a 4-link on the other but I can't remember which axle had which setup.

So to convert your SCX10.1 to CMS, you probably want to do the true 4-link upgrade to both the front and rear and then remove the 1 front upper link. Check out the Axial website for a manual for the SCX10.2 to get an idea of how they do the CMS on the SCX10.2.

Its rare to see anyone running the 3-link setup you have as most have upgraded to the true 4-link setup.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
The SCX10.2 is really a true 4-link with one of the upper front links removed. Your gen1 has what they called a 3-link but differs in that the upper link is called the "Y" link. The link is bolted to the right and left chassis rails and the 3rd connection is to a pivot connection on a bracket on the axle. The true 4-link has 2 separate upper links and the bracket bolted to the axle is different than what you have on your 3-link. If I remember correctly there were some SCX10.1 that had the 3-link on 1 axle and a 4-link on the other but I can't remember which axle had which setup.

So to convert your SCX10.1 to CMS, you probably want to do the true 4-link upgrade to both the front and rear and then remove the 1 front upper link. Check out the Axial website for a manual for the SCX10.2 to get an idea of how they do the CMS on the SCX10.2.

Its rare to see anyone running the 3-link setup you have as most have upgraded to the true 4-link setup.

Your exact quote

Old 05-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
By the way, for next time, this is the AX10 sub-forum. What you have--lucky you--are an SCX10ii and, well, not an AX10 (there is a Wraith forum). Easy mistake to make, posting in the wrong place. No biggie but it might limit the number of reads and answers you get. Don't be afraid of the Newbie forum. I still use it.

Cheers and have fun ripping it up.
My bad, thanks, I completely missed that when I posted.
Texas_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
My bad, thanks, I completely missed that when I posted.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Great discussions. Thanks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 link, 4 link