Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #181
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

Cool rig. I can do without the tires but I have a new set of predator compound 1.9's sitting here anyway.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #182
I wanna be Dave

No tires included.

I like it - lots of improvements over previous kits... and the fact that it's a kit?

1 sold! Very nice.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #183

I can see touches of TLR in the Capra: knurled shock caps, grey rod ends, shorty pack, and metal inserts. Pretty serious stuff here.
MrFridayNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:28 AM   #184
RCC Addict

Looks like some significant quality improvements over any prior Axial stuff. Hopefully this begins carrying over to the rest of their lineup.
Col_Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #185
Pebble Pounder

I’ve been following this thread with earnest. Quite pleased to finally see the Capra and its features.

I have my Scale Ultra ready Bomber for high speed trail runs, but there’s just something about a 1.9!rig that scratches an itch that a 2.2 can’t get to. The Capra seems like the perfect fit for some techy high speed trail running.

I truly anticipate the builds and running videos, as I’m not in the market currently, having built a plenty capable 1.9 trail buggy a la 1.9 Wraith on SSD Diamond Pros literally the week before the Capra rumor mill began to churn.

Standing Applause, HorAxial!
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #186
RCC Addict

hallelujah on metal hollow balls!!!
im really liking this kit, BUT not a fan of the one piece axles. ill probably order one though.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #187
RCC Addict

Thumbs up

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #188

Neat looking rig. I just can't get over that Axial has released a buggy with portals, and a Unimog with standard axles.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #189

I just looked over the photos quickly. Here are my initial thoughts and impression since everybody (nobody) cares.

Horizon did a great job with their first all-new Axial.

Awesome sauce
-I'm glad to see it's 1.9!
-The axles look awesome. I really just want a set of those new axles.
-The links look beefier than anything Axial ever offered pre-Horizon.
-Tons of ground clearance at the chassis especially with the horizontal links. I imagine Horizon did there homework with geometry here. Right?

Eh sauce
-The chassis looks great until you get to the front end. It's odd and even ugly, but only at the front.
-Lots and lots and lots of plastic. Kits should have more aluminum upgrades. At least throw in an aluminum servo horn!

Interesting and or things I question
-It's on Hyrax tires. One of the best tires for sure, but I was hoping Horizon would come out with their own, new performance crawler tire.
-How high will the COG be with all that ground clearance?
-Droop guys probably won't like this setup.
-The shocks are said to be all new, but they look like typical Axial stuff with upgrades. I imagine and hope that's not true since Axial shocks are the absolute worst.
-Tons of plastic and no tires included? I'm questioning the value of the kit at this point.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #190
RCC Addict

Axial has been listening. I've personally sworn them off with the garbage they have been releasing over the last few years, but this seems different and Axial should be commended for their effort here.

Thank you for listening, Horizon/Axial. I think I'm going to take a chance on one of these.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #191

One thing I'm seeing is that the upper portal gears look a lot like the horribly-unreliable gears in the prototype Redcat portals. Hopefully these are made better.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #192
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
One thing I'm seeing is that the upper portal gears look a lot like the horribly-unreliable gears in the prototype Redcat portals. Hopefully these are made better.
Agreed. They're tiny!
Attached Images

FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #193
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
LOL...wanna bet?

What are the chances we will see wider axle housings and shafts? 12.5" wheelbase and dig makes this a promising comp rig start, but the axle width leaves a little to be desired for 2.2 wheels and tires.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #194
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:

These are waaaay better. I feel confident in the testing we did that these will hold up just fine....now i know the challenge is accepted by someone on the interwebs and you never know until they truly get into consumers hands but i wish i had video of some of the testing we did.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #195
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post

What are the chances we will see wider axle housings and shafts? 12.5" wheelbase and dig makes this a promising comp rig start, but the axle width leaves a little to be desired for 2.2 wheels and tires.
None right now but you can fit 2.2's on this rig with a bit of rubbing at full lock on the shock but just looks funny to me with 2.2's on it.

Gonna be fun seeing what you guys do with this thing.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #196
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I just looked over the photos quickly. Here are my initial thoughts and impression since everybody (nobody) cares.

Horizon did a great job with their first all-new Axial.

Interesting and or things I question
-It's on Hyrax tires. One of the best tires for sure, but I was hoping Horizon would come out with their own, new performance crawler tire.

-How high will the COG be with all that ground clearance?

-Droop guys probably won't like this setup.

-The shocks are said to be all new, but they look like typical Axial stuff with upgrades. I imagine and hope that's not true since Axial shocks are the absolute worst.

Totally new and much better than past shocks

-Tons of plastic and no tires included? I'm questioning the value of the kit at this point.

Can you imagine the price if we had lots of aluminum? Besides with the materials we are using, there really is no need for aluminum parts. All majority of the materials are from the 8X buggy. I think once this vehicle is in hand, the value should be there....minus for you...it wouldn't matter lol...if i had used aluminum...you would have said, "whats with all the aluminum, i thought they had all these great plastics" LOL

Compliment Thanks but it should be knows that Matt K designed this, same guy who did the SCX10 II and most of the Axial vehicles out there.

Tires: Tires not included

COG: to gain all that clearance, it's obviously high but with weight and tuning it's pretty solid rig and doesn't feel that bad when running it.

Shocks: Totally new and much better than past shocks. Hold oil reliably and have a bleed screw too.

Value: Can you imagine the price if we had lots of aluminum? Besides with the materials we are using, there really is no need for aluminum parts. All majority of the materials are from the 8X buggy. I think once this vehicle is in hand, the value should be there....minus for you...it wouldn't matter lol...if i had used aluminum...you would have said, "whats with all the aluminum, i thought they had all these great plastics" LOL

Rich
Old 09-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #197

Quote:
Neat looking rig. I just can't get over that Axial has released a buggy with portals, and a Unimog with standard axles.
That's funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Axial has been listening. I've personally sworn them off with the garbage they have been releasing over the last few years, but this seems different and Axial should be commended for their effort here.

Thank you for listening, Horizon/Axial. I think I'm going to take a chance on one of these.
Agreed!

Quote:
Horizon is not Redcat nor should the two be compared!

Quote:
Compliment Thanks but it should be knows that Matt K designed this, same guy who did the SCX10 II and most of the Axial vehicles out there.

Tires: Tires not included

COG: to gain all that clearance, it's obviously high but with weight and tuning it's pretty solid rig and doesn't feel that bad when running it.

Shocks: Totally new and much better than past shocks. Hold oil reliably and have a bleed screw too.

Value: Can you imagine the price if we had lots of aluminum? Besides with the materials we are using, there really is no need for aluminum parts. All majority of the materials are from the 8X buggy. I think once this vehicle is in hand, the value should be there....minus for you...it wouldn't matter lol...if i had used aluminum...you would have said, "whats with all the aluminum, i thought they had all these great plastics" LOL

Rich
Don't act so shocked. I drooled all over the Ascender for a long time!

Yes, you guys deserve the props. This looks to be a job well done.

That's interesting. This design looks better than most other recent Axial designs. He also is no longer bound by Axial's crappy plastics and sloppy tolerances.

Good to hear about the shocks!

Haha! I prefer aluminum is strategic places like links, servo horns, servo mounts, etc. I don't want a mostly aluminum rig. That's just stupid. But you have a good point that with your plastics less aluminum will be needed.

One big question - will it get OD and/or UD gears? That's a must IMO.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #198

Quote:
These are waaaay better. I feel confident in the testing we did that these will hold up just fine....now i know the challenge is accepted by someone on the interwebs and you never know until they truly get into consumers hands but i wish i had video of some of the testing we did.
Hopefully so. Some of the redcat testers were brutalizing these things with 4S brushless, while others were breaking them on stock brushed setups. Mine snapped in a pretty benign crawl with a stock brushed motor. Granted, the Redcats were sintered, so it took very little to get them to break between the axle opening and the gear face. Hopefully yours are something much more robust and not sintered.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #199
Pebble Pounder

How about battery sizes? What can we squeeze in here?
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushjerk View Post
How about battery sizes? What can we squeeze in here?
Right on the website it says, "The battery tray is forward mounted, and located under the hood. The tray size is built for shorty packs, at a maximum size of 26mm x 98mm x 47mm."

The unofficial official axial portal buggy. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
portal axials on ax10 axial............... bob1961 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 04-03-2018 04:45 PM
Gmade R1 Rock Buggy Portal Axle any good mudd_slinger General Crawlers 3 12-20-2011 08:25 PM
RC Adventures - Axial Wraith - Unofficial Running Video RCSPARKS Scale Videos! 13 06-08-2011 07:21 AM
official duratrax vendetta buggy and st thread . snowball50 Chit Chat 7 02-10-2007 12:47 AM