Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #1001
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

My only advice since I don’t have a 7 is to start with endpoints at zero and increase from there.....
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #1002
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
My only advice since I don’t have a 7 is to start with endpoints at zero and increase from there.....
Difficult to do when I don't even know how to set any switch(s) to operate the servo. When I say I haven't got a clue on this, I really mean "I haven't got a clue). I plugged the DIG servo into Ch4, and that's, essentially, as far as I know. I tried going into the Tx menus, but I have absolutely no idea of what to do.

I'm coming from vehicles that ONLY use 2 channels. Prior to yesterday, I've never set up anything beyond that. I was able to figure out how to set the lighting controls (using two Futaba CPS-1 units) on Ch5 & Ch6, but even that too a while to figure out.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #1003
I wanna be Dave

I thought the capra was a 2 position dig only?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #1004
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post

Theres enough room you could probably free wheel it with an MT4 thumb lever.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #1005
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Difficult to do when I don't even know how to set any switch(s) to operate the servo. When I say I haven't got a clue on this, I really mean "I haven't got a clue). I plugged the DIG servo into Ch4, and that's, essentially, as far as I know. I tried going into the Tx menus, but I have absolutely no idea of what to do.

I'm coming from vehicles that ONLY use 2 channels. Prior to yesterday, I've never set up anything beyond that. I was able to figure out how to set the lighting controls (using two Futaba CPS-1 units) on Ch5 & Ch6, but even that too a while to figure out.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Maybe try to get in touch with Harley on here. Hes a Futaba driver and has a lot of experience with their radios and various crawler setups for them.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #1006
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Yes, Axial IS marketing it as a 2-position DIG, but some people have figured out how to set it as a 3-position. However, that's not the point I'm trying to make. Allow me to break it down as simple as possible.

I'm coming from vehicles that only use 2 channels...I've never dealt with vehicles using more than that. I plugged the DIG servo into Ch4, and that's as far as I know how to go. People keep telling me, "You just need to start with the endpoints set to '0', and work out from there", but that doesn't do me any good if I don't know what settings to set in the Tx.

Let meet put it this way - if plugging the servo in is "step 1", and programming the endpoints is "step 5", how can I do "step 5" if I don't even know what steps 2-4 are? It's those middle steps I'm in need of info for.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #1007
RCC Addict

I have a Futaba 4PK and honestly you need a couple hours of education to understand it as far as I've seen. That said I did finally get over my hesitation and set up dig on my 4PK, which doesn't help as much because you have the 7PX which is now touch screen so the process is a bit different. I definitely can't tell you every step right now but as a start it would go like this:

1. Servo plugged in, no horn attached, power on and let it center
2. Note position and attach horn, but don't attach to dig linkage yet (when I first turned on the switch function it was 0-100 and would have been stalling the micro servo)
3. Proceed to page 69 of the Futaba 7PX manual: https://futabausa.com/wp-content/upl...018/09/7PX.pdf

That talks about setting up the switch functions and the different options. It will definitely require some tinkering to figure out on your own, and don't forget about Channel 4 trims/sub trim as well.

Last edited by Sneetches; 10-23-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #1008
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Maybe try to get in touch with Harley on here. Hes a Futaba driver and has a lot of experience with their radios and various crawler setups for them.
I know. I sent an email to Vanquish requesting it be directed to him, and am waiting on a reply (tho, there's no guarantee hell receive it). In his video on setting up A DIG servo, he used a 4PV, but he did mention contacting him if anyone had questions on any other Futaba Tx.

In his video, for those using a Tx having only 2-position switches, he covered how to use 2 switches for setting up a 3-position DIG, which is why I think it might be possible on the Capra. If you think of "4WD" as 'position 1', "FWD w/ rear freewheeling" as 'position 2', and "FRW w/ rear locked" as 'position 3', it could be operated as follows:

Switch A would have to be set for "on/off" control, and switch B set to Alt (ie. only "on" when pressed/held, goes back to "off" when released". Also, switch B would be set using the "Condition" setting within the menus. Switch A would have endpoints set to operate positions 1 & 3, while switch B would have a predefined position (call it the 'midpoint', if you wish) that's only active when switch be is pressed/held, thus overriding switch A. As such, with A "off", you'd have 'position 1', with A "on", you'd have 'position 3', and with B "pressed/held" (ie. "on"), which overrides A, you'd have 'position 2'. When B is released, the servo would go back to whatever position switch A was currently at.

I understand the mechanics of how the DIG should/would work...and, once the initial settings are completed, I understand about setting endpoints for "switch A", and setting the 'point' for "switch B". However, what I don't know how to do is set the switch (for 2-position), or switches (for 3-position), to operate the DIG servo. If I can't even set the switch/switches to operate the servo, then the DIG is completely useless.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #1009
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What I was thinking is that one switch (such as PS1), with the 'Type' set to "Nor." (ie. like "on/off"), could operates the DIG arm for 4WD & FWD w/ locked rear. Then another switch (such as PS2), set as "Condition 1", could have the 'Type' set to "Alt." (ie. only activated when pressed down), which would move the DIG level to a preset 'mid' position for FWD w/ rear freewheeling. When PS1s pressed, it wouldn't matter if PS2 was 'on', or 'off', as the PS1 "Condition 1" would override the PS2 setting.

The problem is, I don't know how to set any of this up...as a 3-position DIG configuration, or as a 2-position. I've tried everything I can think of, as DIGs aren't exactly covered in the manual. I've tried calling Futaba, but the person I spoke with was unfamiliar with DIGs, and said he'd need to reach out to another tech who understands DIG settings...but that tech is on vacation.

So, can anyone help, please? A 3-position config would be fantastic (even knowing it would take two separate switched to operate), but, right now, I can't even figure out how to set up a 2-position. How to I set up things on a 7PX? Again, help...please?
So I don't have a 7PX but I can provide what I learned from my 4PV. Basically every radio that I have used ends up with things not working properly if you try to assign an auxiliary channel to more than 1 switch. 75% of the time when I can't get an extra channel to work right, it is usually because I forgot to unassign that channel from another button or switch. To get 3 positions on a Futaba radio, you will have to assign the dig channel to one of the DT switches (PS switches are 2 point only).
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #1010
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes, Axial IS marketing it as a 2-position DIG, but some people have figured out how to set it as a 3-position. However, that's not the point I'm trying to make. Allow me to break it down as simple as possible.

I'm coming from vehicles that only use 2 channels...I've never dealt with vehicles using more than that.

I had no idea it was capeable.

Start with the 2 position, since this is your first crawler. It will be easier to set up, plus you will hardly use the freewheeling option.

CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #1011
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Proceed to page 69 of the Futaba 7PX manual. That talks about setting up the switch functions and the different options. It will definitely require some tinkering to figure out on your own, and don't forget about Channel 4 trims/sub trim as well.
I understand that much...except for what "option" to use, as there's 6 pages of "options". This is exactly where part of the problem is. The other is what to set Ch4 as. Unfortunately, I can't provide any further details right now, as my Tx just have me a "low battery" warning, so have to change the Tx battery.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #1012
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I had no idea it was capeable.

Start with the 2 position, since this is your first crawler. It will be easier to set up, plus you will hardly use the freewheeling option.

To everyone who's replied, I think you for your replies...but, they're not helping me at all. Again, think of plugging the DIG servo into the Rx as "step 1", and programming endpoints as the final step. I know how to do both of these. What I don't know...what I have no clue about...are all the steps in-between. I know "how" to assign a switch, but I'm at a completed loses as to what "type" to assign. I'm also at a complete list as to what to assign Ch4 as. I know it's not "throttle", and I know it's not "CPS", but, other than that, I have no clue what to assign Ch4 as.

What I need are complete step-by-step directions (other than 'step 1', which would be plugging the servo into the Rx), from 'B' to 'Z'. Put another way, imagine you are giving DIG servo & TX setup instructions to someone who has never before had an RC vehicle. I'm not new to RC, but I am completely new to crawlers, and, as such, I've never set up anything beyond a 2-channel (except for setting Ch5 & Ch6 set yesterday, being the LED lights).

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-23-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #1013
I wanna be Dave

I’ve got an old Spectrum DX3S that has a thumb switch on the back. Set free wheel by clocking the servo arm and the other two with endpoints. Easy peasy.

I’ll be using my RadioLink though, it’s done with a digital Tx menu and basically the same but not manual.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #1014
RCC Addict

Quote:
I understand that much...except for what "option" to use, as there's 6 pages of "options". This is exactly where part of the problem is. The other is what to set Ch4 as. Unfortunately, I can't provide any further details right now, as my Tx just have me a "low battery" warning, so have to change the Tx battery.

Off the top of my head it would be "Switch select" -> PS1 Function "Channel 4 control" -> Set type "Alt"

I think that should make it so that PS1 alternates between 2 positions.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #1015
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Theres enough room you could probably free wheel it with an MT4 thumb lever.
With an mt4 you can set any button to 2-6 positions so it's pretty easy to set the dig for 3 positions.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #1016

Default The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

Quote:
To everyone who's replied, I think you for your replies...but, they're not helping me at all. Again, think of plugging the DIG servo into the Rx as "step 1", and programming endpoints as the final step. I know how to do both of these. What I don't know...what I have no clue about...are all the steps in-between. I know "how" to assign a switch, but I'm at a completed loses as to what "type" to assign. I'm also at a complete list as to what to assign Ch4 as. I know it's not "throttle", and I know it's not "CPS", but, other than that, I have no clue what to assign Ch4 as.

What I need are complete step-by-step directions (other than 'step 1', which would be plugging the servo into the Rx), from 'B' to 'Z'. Put another way, imagine you are giving DIG servo & TX setup instructions to someone who has never before had an RC vehicle. I'm not new to RC, but I am completely new to crawlers, and, as such, I've never set up anything beyond a 2-channel (except for setting Ch5 & Ch6 set yesterday, being the LED lights).

If you're not new to RC you should be able to answer most of these questions yourself. But you have to be willing to learn and try things on your own...

I've never used a dig before and I had no issue getting it setup with two positions. 3-positions takes a lot more work and I'm still not happy with mine.

You need this thread more than anybody in recent memory: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 10-23-2019 at 03:58 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #1017
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Off the top of my head it would be "Switch select" -> PS1 Function "Channel 4 control" -> Set type "Alt"

I think that should make it so that PS1 alternates between 2 positions.
Thank you. That should give me a good start. Will try it on my next day off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
If you're not new to RC you should be able to answer most of these questions yourself. But you have to be willing to learn and try things on your own...

I've never used a dig before and I had no issue getting it setup with two positions. 3-positions takes a lot more work and I'm still not happy with mine.

You need this thread more than anybody in recent memory: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!
I know your answer is part serious, part humorous...and, I accept it as such. I have no problem with "trying things on my own" (I had no clue what I was doing 25+ years ago, when I took apart my Packard Bell computer, and decided to figure out what parts I could keep, & what new parts I needed, to build a better computer), but I needed a "starting point". Thanks to Sneetches, I now have a good reference for that starting point.

Prior to that piece of info, all anyone was giving me was "set the end points", info related to not-Futaba Txs, and similar things. In other words, they were giving me the "destination" To quote an old saying, "Point me in the right direction, and there's a good chance I'll find my way."

Old 10-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #1018
I wanna be Dave

Futaba has its own way like spectrum does. The easiest video to set a 3 position dig using 2switches is Harleys. You don’t need to build it, skip ahead to setup

https://youtu.be/MviC0ClKcaw

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #1019
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Futaba has its own way like spectrum does. The easiest video to set a 3 position dig using 2switches is Harleys. You don’t need to build it, skip ahead to setup

https://youtu.be/MviC0ClKcaw

Hang up and Drive
I did watch the video, and, while it did give me some of the info I'm in need of, it didn't cover the first 1-2 steps after connecting the DID servo to the Rx. But, more importantly, the menus of the 7PX are considerably different than any other Futaba Tx. That's a big part of why I'm running into the problem I am.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #1020
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I did watch the video, and, while it did give me some of the info I'm in need of, it didn't cover the first 1-2 steps after connecting the DID servo to the Rx. But, more importantly, the menus of the 7PX are considerably different than any other Futaba Tx. That's a big part of why I'm running into the problem I am.

Perhaps it would be easier to start with a simpler 3 channel radio with analog dials.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC4WD-2-4gh...ss!86001!US!-1

I used one from my Marlin Crawler on Project Lo-Do.

Dry easy to set end points.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote

The unofficial official axial portal buggy. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
portal axials on ax10 axial............... bob1961 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 04-03-2018 04:45 PM
Gmade R1 Rock Buggy Portal Axle any good mudd_slinger General Crawlers 3 12-20-2011 08:25 PM
RC Adventures - Axial Wraith - Unofficial Running Video RCSPARKS Scale Videos! 13 06-08-2011 07:21 AM
official duratrax vendetta buggy and st thread . snowball50 Chit Chat 7 02-10-2007 12:47 AM